Theoretical Question

IanMan

We see a lot of fake cars, and we always joke about them and what not because a lot of them are horribly built. HORRIBLY BUILT. For example, I would never want to be seen in some of these bondo buckets because they don't look anywhere near as close to the original, but how do you all feel towards cars built for the track like the Ford GT40 Replicas? Some of them are really close to an original and really well built. One guy that I've talked to, here in Hawaii, loves his and tracks it.

My main question is, when Countaches reach prices like current Miuras, ($800K etc and your average Lamborghini owner can't afford one just like the Miura), and someone or some manufacturer (THEORETICALLY SPEAKING), decides to build a Miura Rolling Chassis or Countach that is well put together, like the GT40 Replicas, would you guys hate on them as much? I can picture a car like this with an aluminum body with a CNC made V12 and correct interior that would be awesome and fun, but something you could take to the track and not worry about ruining a historical icon. Does anyone else think like this?

Too much negative connotation with Countach replicas so I can't see a vendor going down that path. GT40s somehow worked out....same can be said 427s like Superformance which aren't even considered replicas really. The general population would buy a Lambo replica but I can't imagine many, if any, on here would do it.

a CNC V-12

nice lets make a bunch!

:shock:

Right!? Haha. I do love watching engines get made from scratch, but I think it'd be possible to build something like that for a fun track car to beat on. It'd be a cool project. Not sure what cost to make an engine like that would be.

It's better than all these hacks that put 350's in cars.

I guess the first question is who in their right mind would want a CT or Miura as the baseline for a track car? Not really what they were intended for from the onset, unlike the Cobra and Ford GT.

I can see if you say built a Miura as a realistic replica it would be better received, the hate comes when it's built over a fcuking fiero or shitbox 80's camaro chassis.

Lamborghini's generally speaking are awful track cars, vintage cars especially! Also, by comparison to the GT40's and 427 Cobra's, Lamborghini's are plentiful, so I don't see a demand for them. But that's just me

I think there is a market for well built, beautiful, historic unobtainables like the Miura and 250GTO (two cars I covet but will never have I'm afraid).

There were a couple of higher end space frame replicas(Prova..) when the Countach was young and trading hands for big money, but then the market dropped like a lead weight. These replicas were very close to the original in aesthetics, but cost way too much to build and consequently could not even compete with the car they were copying. The companies all folded. Yes, they had the crapbox drivetrain, but at least they looked the part because they were not built on a stretched donor car. The value equation would now make this style of replica more competitive again, but any buyer of these would just be a poser. As said, the Countach is not meant for ripping around a race track. A real SuperG or STS Gallardo is what you want to track. Personally, I would only want to be on a track in a purpose built race car fully race equipped.

Am I the only one who thinks lambo should just put that Miura Concept into production?

Nope! Sadly, more than likely if they did, it'd only be limited to something like 8 cars or some low number.

a CNC V-12

nice lets make a bunch!

:shock:

I dont think it would be that hard. Sure the cost would be higher than a Dart V8. I bet the V8s they make compared to a 5.7-6.5L V12 wouldn't be any more material or not much. The heads would be tricky. Cam companies build custom ground cams all the time, again different due to 4 of them. I bet a complete engine could be done for less than a 100k. Full custom chassis can be build in the 50-100k range.

I dont ever see it being feasible for a business plan. But say if someone had 200-300k to throw at something and really wanted a Countach it could be done. But at todays values that would be dumb, say in 5-10 years if they are trading hands in the 7 figure range. Maybe.

I might be way off. Im just applying my knowledge of building custom race cars here.

My hate for replicas has really increased since Ive moved here and everybody assumes mine is one....

According to some you are about to give away a T shirt for one. :icon_mrgreen:

What about this one?

I would put this in the same class as the Jota. Not even close to a "replica" when you have the real parts and original designers and builders involved. Identical to the real thing with a significant discount.

According to some you are about to give away a T shirt for one. :icon_mrgreen:

What about this one?

I would put this in the same class as the Jota. Not even close to a "replica" when you have the real parts and original designers and builders involved. Identical to the real thing with a significant discount.

That is sexy! I remember seeing on youtube a 250 GTO replica that was supposedly comprised of something near 72% real parts and was estimated to be worth near a million dollars. It looked very real.

Some of the 917 replicas out there are really cool. I wouldn't consider a non-racecar replica as anything other than cheesy.

Some of the 917 replicas out there are really cool. I wouldn't consider a non-racecar replica as anything other than cheesy.

:iamwithstupid:

Track or race car replicas are rarely, if ever, passed off as being the real thing. Mostly they are built with admiration and reverence to the original car. The world they live in is very small.

Road car replicas are a different thing. In my experience the owners always intend to pass the car off as the real thing. They are all about the internalised self image of person that owns them or drives them. Nothing to do with love of the car or the Lamborghini brand.

I abhor road replicas.

Track or race car replicas are rarely, if ever, passed off as being the real thing. Mostly they are built with admiration and reverence to the original car. The world they live in is very small.

Road car replicas are a different thing. In my experience the owners always intend to pass the car off as the real thing. They are all about the internalised self image of person that owns them or drives them. Nothing to do with love of the car or the Lamborghini brand.

I abhor road replicas.

:iamwithstupid:

I think you nailed it.

I want to own a 550 spyder replica, they look like so much fun for $30k. A GT40 or Daytona coupe replica would be a fcuking blast to rip around in on the track.

I think the only cars that get passed off as "ok" for replicas are those based off of real cars actually produced in such small numbers that the likelihood of ever seeing one in real life is remote. Such as the Daytona coupe, 550 spyder, Corvette Grand Sport & GT40, when you see one of these cars, it's just assumed it's a replica. Further, the cars that are built exceptionally well hype the objective up. Some Cobra replica's are fantastic, others... terrible.

As for exotics produced in relatively large quantities and the only reason for a replica is to save $$ for the image . . . nope.

re: exceptionally built replica

CSX2136_F.jpg