Why are N/A exotic car owners so paranoid about racking up mileage on their cars

LPDADDY

My guess: owners aren't necessarily car guys and only want to be able to SAY they own an exotic. The less depreciation they see, the lower the cost of being able to say that.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I could care less about deprecation. If I did, I would have invested my money vs spend it on a car, which is pretty much a guaranteed way to lose money. I purchased my LP640 with a little higher mileage, but it had so many service records and I felt comfortable with the dealership that I purchased from, reliability wasn't a concern. And IMO, higher mileage cars have most of the kinks worked out. I drive mine around 1,100 miles a year, and the only reason I don't drive it more is because 1) It would cause way too much drama at work, and 2) it's a pain in the ass to just take it out for a quick run to the store or somewhere close, as it just causes too much attention, plus warming it up, etc. Don't get me wrong, some attention is fun, and even more fun when I'm out with my friends and we all have the cars out together. It's much easier to navigate through all the crazy questions when some friends are around in their cars, as we can have some fun with it. If your worried about driving them due to depreciation, then I would suggest re-thinking why you really purchased an exotic in the first place.

It highly depends on the location as well. Canada, for instance, only have 3 Lamborghini dealership nationwide; 1 more will be added soon but that only makes 4 so unless one is at that locale, servicing would be a problem along with parts availability. Canadian winter weather is not particularly friendly to exotics. Ok if one doesn't care about salt and road grime and one have the skills to handle the car in inclement weather. But what about the skills (or lack thereof) of other drivers? Keep in mind, where one watches is where one goes. They see an exotic on the road, they get excited and guess what happens next especially when it's wet, snowy or icy. Another big factor has been mentioned: N/A is no where as exotic-friendly (at least not as it used to be): too many tree-huggers and too many haters. For some cities, it simply is a bad idea to park the car anywhere unattended, let alone allowing others to see you get in & out of the car. And then there is the certain profiling: with a huge influx of new money, there are many bad connotations on stereotype-casting. Those who share the same ethnicity does not necessarily share the same profile or demeanor; but how can the public distinguish them from looks alone? Depending on the locale again, urban areas don't really have the roads for these cars either. And now that nearly everyone has a cel, any "spirited" driving is going to be ended up on YouTube; that is if they haven't called the cops and rat on you first.

Personally, I could not care less about mileage. For me, it's the time. For reasons mentioned above, most of the time, taking the exotic out requires planning ahead and careful planning on the routes. All that takes time and that's exactly what I do not have. Hopefully, that will change as that's one of my new year's resolutions.

Well, first what's considered a "garage queen", everyone here may have a different number.

I don't consider my car as a "garage queen" but others may. I've had the car brand new for about 9 months now and I put over 3000 miles on it this far. I live in an area where I have wintery weather with plenty road salt from November til March. I know 90 percent of "exotic" car owner here store their car for those months.

I only drive my car on weekends as I work pretty much 9-5 daily on week days. I certainly will not drive my car to work and leave unattended for 8 hours in a open public parking lot.

I enjoy my weekend time with my car, when I do get to drive her, makes those trips special and keeps that sense of new car ownership. Also, for many of us, seeing our hardwork just sitting in the garage is plenty rewarding.

Another factor yall haven't even considered is the SIGNIFICANT OTHER QUILT TRIP! At times, I have the weather and the free time to drive the car but my SO gives me a quilt trip about "what about me", "why you leave us" (meaning her and my son). How many of us exotic car owners end up selling our cars because the car is just not family style friendly or only seats two. It may not be her at times, sometimes I simply just want to spend time with my son and my family instead of go driving and meet up with other dudes!

So many reasons and everyone is different. "Garage Queens" or not, we all different with different lifestyles. I go to bed at 10 PM on weekends...so what?

Of course it has exceptions , I am stereotyping and you would be hard pressed to argue that the stereotype is not valid lol

Well perhaps it is valid for N/A but there are plenty of low mileage exotics in Europe as well. It's possible that people may drive them more but I don't think it's a much higher percentage. I know a few people who own exotic cars and don't drive more than 2-4k km a year in them. Depending on what you'd consider high mileage on an exotic car, out of 68 Murcis for sale on mobile.de at this time, only 3 have more than 50k kms.

A Lamborghini is not someone's first car. I've never heard depreciation being the issue, but when you have other cars better suited to traffic, errands, etc. the lambo gets relegated to fun drives. I wouldn't get a huge kick out of sitting in 3hr Los Angeles traffic in my Murcielago. Great for all of you who drive them lots but saying people that dont drive them everywhere are not car guys is bs. I did all my own work on my G and as much as is possible at home on the M.....the fact that I don't want to molest my car in shitty everyday situations doesn't make me less of an enthusiast.

There is a massive percentage of exotic car owners that purchase to validate their success, and there is nothing wrong with that. It's a trophy that announces to the world their arrival. When you pull up in front of a crowd in a Ferrari or Lamborghini, without opening your mouth the car does all the talking for you.

It's a trophy of success for most. And witness the shocking turnover even on this board. It's the chase of purchase that is most exciting. The acquisition is in many ways the saddest day because the chase is over, and it's on to the next trophy.

This is true...the G was a dream..then you start saying hmmmm a 640 would be nice....then an avent.....then......

:iamwithstupid: This is me exactly. The sad thing is, we have these rare and beautiful cars and are still never really happy. I think it's great that we strive to get the next best thing, however most of the population that haven't reached this milestone and may never reach it, think we've completely lost it. Meanwhile, hear we are complaining because we need the newer version.

:iamwithstupid: This is me exactly. The sad thing is, we have these rare and beautiful cars and are still never really happy. I think it's great that we strive to get the next best thing, however most of the population that haven't reached this milestone and may never reach it, think we've completely lost it. Meanwhile, hear we are complaining because we need the newer version.

It's a disease, a good disease :icon_mrgreen:

The only thing I don't understand is multiples of the same, I can not get my head around that.

Well, first what's considered a "garage queen", everyone here may have a different number.

I don't consider my car as a "garage queen" but others may. I've had the car brand new for about 9 months now and I put over 3000 miles on it this far. I live in an area where I have wintery weather with plenty road salt from November til March. I know 90 percent of "exotic" car owner here store their car for those months.

I only drive my car on weekends as I work pretty much 9-5 daily on week days. I certainly will not drive my car to work and leave unattended for 8 hours in a open public parking lot.

I enjoy my weekend time with my car, when I do get to drive her, makes those trips special and keeps that sense of new car ownership. Also, for many of us, seeing our hardwork just sitting in the garage is plenty rewarding.

Another factor yall haven't even considered is the SIGNIFICANT OTHER QUILT TRIP! At times, I have the weather and the free time to drive the car but my SO gives me a quilt trip about "what about me", "why you leave us" (meaning her and my son). How many of us exotic car owners end up selling our cars because the car is just not family style friendly or only seats two. It may not be her at times, sometimes I simply just want to spend time with my son and my family instead of go driving and meet up with other dudes!

So many reasons and everyone is different. "Garage Queens" or not, we all different with different lifestyles. I go to bed at 10 PM on weekends...so what?

:iamwithstupid:

I'm pretty much in the same boat.

It's the chase of purchase that is most exciting. The acquisition is in many ways the saddest day because the chase is over.

Well said.

Not finding the time, weather not cooperating and for some being afflicted neck/back problems can potentially hinder the Sunday morning fun.

I have heard one or two people make the depreciation comment. I had one Ferrari owner in particular tell me he hates taking the car on the weekend runs because it puts so many miles on the car. I tried to tell him in the most polite way possible that I think he is missing the point, but I had a feeling I was never going to be able to explain that to him.

I think most of the reasons posted on here are valid reasons. For some, owning a new exotic may be a financial stretch, but they want to own it for either status, validation of their accomplishments, or because they actually do like the cars. But they are treating the car as some kind of investment and want to, at least, minimize the financial loss of owning the car. I didn't know that this was an phenomenon isolated to N/A owners, but so be it.

As for me, I don't give a crap about depreciation, and I try to drive my cars as often as possible. But I generally am limited to the weekends, and sometimes family commitments, business/work, other hobbies, or bad weather (especially in the Northeast) prevent use of the car. I do take my cars out in the rain though.

That's another big thing. I prefer to spend time with my kids than go driving. One friend said it best when I said, I don't drive it enough. He said,"Well it's not gong anywhere." Obviously unless I sell it who be I have no plans to.

I didn't know that this was an phenomenon isolated to N/A owners, but so be it.

It's not. Same over here.

I'm sure to say depreciation does play a role for most owners, nobody likes to piss away money, rich or less-rich. Especially all ofus that are selfmade and know the struggle behind every mile.

Lots of factors play in, the attention, the hassle and the headaches, the public/jelaousy etc. I got sick of it after a few years, it takes away a lot of the upsides.

I plan on driving the shit out of my car when it's finished. Don't care about depreciation, just want to drive it. Drive it everywhere.

I drive the SLR pretty much everywhere in the summer time, 53000km on the odometer. The other cars are a little tougher to take out for the same reasons members have pointed out.

I drive the SLR pretty much everywhere in the summer time, 53000km on the odometer. The other cars are a little tougher to take out for the same reasons members have pointed out.

That is admirable. Driving a 722 that much is great.

difficult?!?!? please, today they are all come with huge ground clearance, cup holdings, comfort packages, nav, lift systems, lots of head room and viability. Sounds like a bunch of nancys. People got around just fine a few decades ago in theirs, todays exotics are like Mercedes.

People just lease more car than they can afford and cant take the hit. I would say maybe the maintaince, but when its leased and under warranty you don't have much expense.

Its people buying the cars to show off and tell others they have that aren't really interested in driving them aside from smashing the gas on the highway for a few seconds now and then to blast over 100 and that's it.

Its a fashion accessory, not something that's a passion where the cost is a mere cost for the experience.

I wouldn't touch a low mile garage queen over a normal-high mileage car that's been taken care off even if the garage queen was cheaper. Ill never understand why a garage queen carries a premium, to me its just paying extra so you will have to pay even more to fix the car when you actually drive it. Its a huge expense and headache waiting to happen.

difficult?!?!? please, today they are all come with huge ground clearance, cup holdings, comfort packages, nav, lift systems, lots of head room and viability. Sounds like a bunch of nancys. People got around just fine a few decades ago in theirs, todays exotics are like Mercedes.

People just lease more car than they can afford and cant take the hit. I would say maybe the maintaince, but when its leased and under warranty you don't have much expense.

Its people buying the cars to show off and tell others they have that aren't really interested in driving them aside from smashing the gas on the highway for a few seconds now and then to blast over 100 and that's it.

Its a fashion accessory, not something that's a passion where the cost is a mere cost for the experience.

I wouldn't touch a low mile garage queen over a normal-high mileage car that's been taken care off even if the garage queen was cheaper. Ill never understand why a garage queen carries a premium, to me its just paying extra so you will have to pay even more to fix the car when you actually drive it. Its a huge expense and headache waiting to happen.

Preach, my brother. :icon_pray:

There is something to be said about the attitudes of exotic car owners today versus 30 years ago. Back in the Countach/TR era, you had to some level of ability to drive to own these things. Now not so much, and the worst part is that this easy driving experience is demanded. You can no longer make an old school car.

It pisses me off to some extent.

Also I know a guy who bought a 1st gen Gallardo for his car stereo business purely as a marketing ploy and told me he intentionally kept the miles low for resale reasons. It's like he can't really afford the car but wants to have it anyway.

An interesting thing to note is that a lot of people in this thread that say it's a lot of work to take their car out have V12s. After coming from a G that I put a ton of miles on, the reality is that the Murci (and I'm sure the Aventador) are just not easy cars to go park wherever. They are freaking huge!

Exactly, a g and Huracan are very different from a Murci and Diablo. Has nothing to do with my driving ability that taking a murci to work would cause sour grapes at my company. Or that the Murci can't even get into most underground parking garages where the ramp angle down into a turn is impossible. Not to mention 8 months of snow salt and gravel. Have the guys making comments about us not being able to drive or afford these cars ever driven a V12 lambo?

An interesting thing to note is that a lot of people in this thread that say it's a lot of work to take their car out have V12s. After coming from a G that I put a ton of miles on, the reality is that the Murci (and I'm sure the Aventador) are just not easy cars to go park wherever. They are freaking huge!

I think you are correct regarding the 12 being difficult and large, also warming the thing up for 10 mins so the egear works is a Royal pain in the rear, plenty of times I have said to hell with it and taken another car, hate to say it but I don't ever remember saying that when I had a 8 cylinder Ferrari.

I think you are correct regarding the 12 being difficult and large, also warming the thing up for 10 mins so the egear works is a Royal pain in the rear, plenty of times I have said to hell with it and taken another car, hate to say it but I don't ever remember saying that when I had a 8 cylinder Ferrari.

I dont know if thats isolated to egear. My manual likes to be warmed up before going out.