Any veternarians in the house?

Roman

So... A couple of weeks ago, Caesar (6 year old bernese mountain dog) gets a cough. Not real bad and hed just been to the vet a few weeks before so I figured he picked up a cold or something...

Then his eye got all goopy... My wife kept saying "his eye looks weird, like its red inside or something". I didnt see shit so I ignored her...

Then one day he starts foaming at the mouth... (hes had all his rabies shots)

Then he coughs up blood.

Get him to the vet who runs a bunch of tests (heartworm etc) all negative. His eye is totally fucked. Filled with blood and blind. Hes lost ten pounds in less than a month... Which I hadnt noticed at all... I thought the damned scale was busted,

He thinks its Blastomycosis which is some sort of fucked up fungus infection from the Ohio River or something... Anybody ever heard of this?

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RD I am sorry to hear this about your pet. I have no advice to offer on how to help I just wanted to say I hope Caesar feels better soon.

I am of no help either but sorry to hear buddy! :( Praying he recovers quick from whatever it is.

Get him to a better vet who can ultrasound his torso ,head and heart. Could be a tumor,

Do not let them give him prednisolone or steroid it will only aggravate him and make him bleed more. Mastiff dogs do not do well on steroids.

Hermangiosarcoma is a dog specific cancer that moves super fast . It killed one of my bullmastiffs last year and came on instantly.

Has your dog been swimming in the ohio river? I know they just annouced its like the most poluted in the US and my understanding of its worst readings are west of cincinnati (essentially our runoff from the steal and power plants) that heads down your way.

Has your dog been swimming in the ohio river? I know they just annouced its like the most poluted in the US and my understanding of its worst readings are west of cincinnati (essentially our runoff from the steal and power plants) that heads down your way.

No.. Thats the thing... He barely goes outside.... My wife and kid and I are outside and digging in the dirt a shitload more than he is. And Im worried about us getting this shit...

Get him to a better vet who can ultrasound his torso ,head and heart. Could be a tumor,

Do not let them give him prednisolone or steroid it will only aggravate him and make him bleed more. Mastiff dogs do not do well on steroids.

Hermangiosarcoma is a dog specific cancer that moves super fast . It killed one of my bullmastiffs last year and came on instantly.

He didnt put him on any steroids, but he may need steroid drops for the eye if it doesnt respond. Hes on Itraconazole (An anti-fungal thats expensive as hell- I think its an AIDS med.), an oral antibiotic and an eye drop antibiotic.

He's pretty much ruled out cancer from the exam (and the eye involvement)... I think the one you mention would be specifically eliminated because he has zero indications of internal bleeding/shock which sounds like the first symptom.... His gums look good, his heart sounds good, etc... The only blood was a few drops he coughed up last week... (and the cough seems to have gone away).

Everything points to an infection of some sort.

Right now our biggest thing is the eating... Hes already lost a lot of weight, which we need to stop and reverse... But also the Itraconazole is ineffective unless its given on a full meal... It absorbs in fat digestion. This morning we literally spoon fed him a bowl of dinty-moore beef stew because nothing else worked... He doesnt want dog food... He doesnt seem to want to eat out of a bowl....

The good thing is he seems to be tolerating the meds.. No puking or anything, but he really seems lethargic today...

Have you tried wet dog food? My boxer pup is kind of a picky eater by dog standards, but anytime I open up a can of Blue Wilderness canned dog food, he comes running and will crush the wet food along with any other dog food it touches. I have also had good luck with my previous boxer feeding him steamed rice and/or chicken breast.

Hope your pup makes a fast recovery.

Have you tried wet dog food? My boxer pup is kind of a picky eater by dog standards, but anytime I open up a can of Blue Wilderness canned dog food, he comes running and will crush the wet food along with any other dog food it touches. I have also had good luck with my previous boxer feeding him steamed rice and/or chicken breast.

Hope your pup makes a fast recovery.

We tried that.. He ate it sunday night... Today hes just sniffing it. We got the science diet which actually came out the consistency of Pate.... So it didnt "mix" real well... Does anybody know of a "wetter" canned food? Something gravy-ey?

:( poor guy. I'm not a doctor but it does seem like some kind of infection or parasite. Also try rice with chicken and chicken broth or beef if he still isn't eating the dog food. Hope he starts to feel better!

edit: I posted this as you answered you tried the rice and meat

hell, just feed him whatever he will eat to get the antibiotics in him. I hope all the best. I have 2 dogs, 1 is my million dollar dog. Everytime we turn around it's something like this.. i know this is a long shot, but have they ruled out an allergic reaction to something? My million dollar dog is allergic to everything and we have to keep him on benadryl half of the year. Poor guy is like a zombie half the time.

Hope your pup pulls out and makes a full recovery.

We tried that.. He ate it sunday night... Today hes just sniffing it. We got the science diet which actually came out the consistency of Pate.... So it didnt "mix" real well... Does anybody know of a "wetter" canned food? Something gravy-ey?

Have you tried just normal food? get him a burger from wendys or boil some boneless chicken breast, or grill up a few hotdogs and let him go to town. He needs calories above all else.

Have you tried just normal food? get him a burger from wendys or boil some boneless chicken breast, or grill up a few hotdogs and let him go to town. He needs calories above all else.

:iamwithstupid:

Boiled boneless chicken breast has always worked for my dogs. Bacon and even just bacon grease dripped over dry dog food works well too. If my dog has thrown up, I will give him sugar free apple sauce or greek yogurt.

RD, you asked about really wet food, Blue Wilderness makes food with gravy. I gave some to my Boxer as a treat once and he loved it, but it came out about the same consistency as it went in.

http://bluebuffalo.com/natural-dog-food/gr...n-hearty-gravy/

Oh... Hed eat a cheeseburger.... But isnt that really horrible for them? We dont want to upset his stomach...

Try one of the campbell's soup homestyle cans of chicken and dumpling on top of his food. That shits like crack for our pup.

RDad, and I'm not joking when I tell you this. Give him spaghetti Bolognese. The tomatoes contain anti oxidants and the pasta will settle his stomach.

We had an issue with a pup years ago, had to give her antibiotics and an old timer vet told us to do this. She was up and about in a day

Try one of the campbell's soup homestyle cans of chicken and dumpling on top of his food. That shits like crack for our pup.

We tried freaking beef stew this AM... He ate it, if I spoon fed him... Put it on kibble and he just walked away. Im wondering if maybe he cant see it in the bowl?

RDad, and I'm not joking when I tell you this. Give him spaghetti Bolognese. The tomatoes contain anti oxidants and the pasta will settle his stomach.

We had an issue with a pup years ago, had to give her antibiotics and an old timer vet told us to do this. She was up and about in a day

Here is more proof:

http://moderndogmagazine.com/articles/10-h...ods-share/17297

We tried freaking beef stew this AM... He ate it, if I spoon fed him... Put it on kibble and he just walked away. Im wondering if maybe he cant see it in the bowl?

He's a dog, unless you removed his nose he knows it's there. I would give JPEGS idea a shot, if that doesn't pan out give him half a cheese burger and see if he can hold it down for a couple hours.

Yeah, it's not ideal but it's better than losing 10lbs a week due to not eating.