Any veternarians in the house?

Roman

He's doing much better... Still eating nothing but human food... Triple cheeseburgers and peanut butter... Pasta... Sausage..l pepperoni... No stomach upset... Figure I'll let him get well and put some weight on before we worry about the diet..l

Happy to hear that your dog is getting better.

However now you are making me very hungry and I am eating salads for lunch damn it.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's doing much better... Still eating nothing but human food... Triple cheeseburgers and peanut butter... Pasta... Sausage..l pepperoni... No stomach upset... Figure I'll let him get well and put some weight on before we worry about the diet..l

:icon_thumleft: That's great news.

This and your Lasik surgery; looks like your week is ending well.

Not doing well... Had a nosebleed over the weekend... Took him back to the vet yesterday and he had gained a pound... But then he started bleeding from his rear end... Now refusing any food including the cheeseburgers....

Vet is still convinced its fungal...

Not doing well... Had a nosebleed over the weekend... Took him back to the vet yesterday and he had gained a pound... But then he started bleeding from his rear end... Now refusing any food including the cheeseburgers....

Very strange.. Wish you the best. Very hard place to be in with any loved one.

Damn RD :crybaby2: What the hell kind of fungus leads to those symptoms?

I'm with Tara, I would probably be seeking a second opinion at this point.

Maybe it was some contamination in his food as there have been a few well know name brand dog food manufactures that have been scrutinized as of late.

http://www.examiner.com/article/purina-s-b...l-issued-by-fda

In 2007, Purina dog food was identified for dog fatalities after an autopsy revealed aflatoxins in the food and the ASPCA became involved. Aflatoxins are known to be found in moldy grains, like the corn that would be in the dog food. At that time, there was a large recall. In 2005 100 dogs died for the same reason prompting another recall of a different brand of food.

I hope your doggies condition improves as we lost our female Husky about two years ago.

We suspect it had something to do with contaminated dog treats, mainly the Waggin Train Chicken strips that we will never purchase again.

Erik below is a link from the FDA on dog food recalls. Best of luck, Vic

http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/default....o_Animal_Health

That was absolutely the first thing that came to mind for me and we immediately changed foods... Not that it mattered... He had stopped eating dog food at that point... Mentioned it to the vet as well...

On the upside he just ate KFC chicken strips and livers... enough to get the meds down... A few hours we do it all again.

Had to do Tieback surgery on my 13 year old big breed dog's Layrnx last year. He was essentially going to die by suffocation if we did not open his airway permanently. He can still aspirate food due to the compromised airway, but at least we can continue our long walks together and he can breath. I feel really bad about this situation where the diagnosis is still suspect and you are in the dark. Dogs don't ask for much and I hate to see them suffer. I hope you can get your answers soon and put this behind you and go romping around with this guy. So sorry.

Damn RD :crybaby2: What the hell kind of fungus leads to those symptoms?

I'm with Tara, I would probably be seeking a second opinion at this point.

Im definitely thinking about a 2nd opinion... And have already taken some steps in that direction. There are some really nasty fungal infections out there... And this happens to be ground zero for one of them. I'm still not 100% convinced... we should know a bunch more when yesterdays tests come back... But the alternatives if it isnt fungal are even more grim.

On the "Its fungal" side, he sneezed last night and a bloody, purple, "fungally looking" thing came out of his nose along with a blood clot.... Thankfully, today, there hasnt been any bleeding... So maybe we've turned a corner.

Get another opinion like Tara and Emanon said.

Years ago, my parents dog was in rough shape, wouldn't eat, had been underweight since he was a puppy, constant stomach issues like vomiting and diarrhea, no energy, etc... Their vet said there was nothing that could be done and the best thing to do was put the dog down. Knowing my parents weren't thinking clearly due to the stress of having to put their 5-6 year old dog down, I convinced them to see my vet for a second opinion. My vet immediately recognized the dog had Addison disease, the dog started receiving regular injections and the dog is still around 6 years later.

+1 on second opinion.

We did this a few times when our Chessie had some perplexing health issues. The second vet knew exactly what it was. Our primary vet was great - but just like with people, some times you need that second medical professional with different experience to weigh in.

Hoping you've turned the corner and your pooch is recovered soon. This is heartwrenching

Holy crap... He just came out ate more chicken, begged for my boys pizza, and jumped up to give me a hug.... Seems totally normal.

Holy crap... He just came out ate more chicken, begged for my boys pizza, and jumped up to give me a hug.... Seems totally normal.

:eusa_clap: :wub:

Hook him up with a pepperoni pizza! Hopefully this thing is on it's way out. :icon_super:

I hope so... This thing has been a roller coaster. Very seriously considered putting him down at several points. I Hope he doesn't regress again....

One way or the other, I'm pretty sure he's blind in one eye. But that's ok....

Maybe that purple snot rocket was the main culprit?

We are crossing our fingers for you.

Ate chicken and livers, and veal and hamburger for dinner... Seems like himself again (and hungry). The one addition to the meds was an anti inflammatory- Rimidyl... seems to be all the difference in the world.

Ate chicken and livers, and veal and hamburger for dinner... Seems like himself again (and hungry). The one addition to the meds was an anti inflammatory- Rimidyl... seems to be all the difference in the world.
:icon_thumleft: Glad to hear!

interesting, I just talked to a vet 2 days ago about the dog's friend who was limping when he came out of the ocean..pretty bad. He said "give your dog 100mg Rimidyl daily... for the rest of his life.. he will be a totally different dog." I mulled it over, and said "steroid?" He said something mild.. curious what it actually is. This dog is 80-90lbs so might want to adjust you dose too.