Man arrested after smashing window, saving hot dog from car

Vegasgtr

GA needs to change this law!

ATHENS, Ga. (AP) — Georgia state law allows an individual to break a car window to save a child in distress, but the same protection does not apply when a pet's life is at stake, as one man has quickly found out.

Michael Hammons of Athens was charged with criminal trespassing after smashing the window of a Mustang to free a small Pomerian mix left inside the hot car Saturday in a shopping center.

Witnesses said that while a group of shoppers waited for police to arrive to free the dog, the Army veteran smashed the window, multiple news outlets report.

"I knew there'd be consequences, but it didn't matter," Hammons told WAGA-TV (http://bit.ly/1FhRZOf ). "Glass, they make new glass every day, but they could never replace that dog."

Deputies said the car's owner, Elantra Cunningham, 22, of Athens insisted Hammons be arrested. Cunningham was cited for leaving the dog in the hot car.

Hammons has admitted to his actions, which he took after he said the dog appeared to be in distress. After Hammons freed the dog, witnesses said he took the pet to a shaded area and gave it water.

"We didn't want to charge him, but he told us he broke the windows and when you have a victim there saying she wants him charged, we had no other choice," said Oconee County Chief Deputy Lee Weems.

Saw this on Fox News this morning. Good for the guy to rescue the dog. The law needs to be changed. Here the law says we can break a window to save a dog. Hope the prosecutor and judge go easy on the guy.

He should have just said the police that he was exercising his right to remain silent. Hope everything works out okay.

Shame on that person for leaving a dog in a hot car!!! Every year countless animals die on that account!!

Salute to the guy for acting and getting that dog out! A dog or small child can die supringsly quickly inside a hot car.

Shame on that person for leaving a dog in a hot car!!! Every year countless animals die on that account!!

Salute to the guy for acting and getting that dog out! A dog or small child can die supringsly quickly inside a hot car.

A couple kids in separate incidents in Canada died last year from being locked in a car. Result leave a kid or dog in a car here will likely result in the police being called.

Cruelty against animals or minors, or someone weak boils my blood like nothing else.

That being said, where's my hotdog!

"I knew there'd be consequences, but it didn't matter," Hammons told WAGA-TV (http://bit.ly/1FhRZOf ). "Glass, they make new glass every day, but they could never replace that dog."

That tells me all I need to know about the guy. Beers on me Mr. Hammons.

:icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:

For a quick second, it reads in the title of the thread, "Man saves hot dog" and I'm thinking the guy busted out the window to save some food. That's dedicated.

All kidding aside, good for him. I would have done the same thing.

I'd say throw the book at her, but the backlash shes about to receive via the interweb will most likely be brutal and he will walk away with a slap on the wrist (if that)and probably end up with a kickstarter to cover legal fees, fines and pocket plenty extra for his good deed.

I really feel sorry for the dog. My town of 150k people has two animal shelters, one for stray dogs, etc. and the other for owner surrenders. The owner surrender one is filled with little dogs, all former fashion accessories, like I suspect this dog is. Its sad.

I could see saving a hamurger from a car... but a hot dog?

Good. Hope that chick learned a lesson from this. And if the Ford dealer fixed that window for free, I hope they filled that interior with some horrendous farts after.

Good. Hope that chick learned a lesson from this. And if the Ford dealer fixed that window for free, I hope they filled that interior with some horrendous farts after.

A person so dense to demand the person whom saved their pet be arrested because they left it in a hot car can't be fixed. That type of stupid is bred through generation upon generation of stupidity and faux-entitlement.

Guys, guys, this wasn't a dog. It was a Pomeranian.

If ever there was a time to avoid a conversation with the cops, this was it. No way they would have pursued charges if he hadn't ADMITTED to the "crime". As usual, no good deed goes unpunished.

• 2 weeks later...