What's the consensus on Porsche's 2015 GT3??

diabloking

I love all the GT3 variants. Some do things better than others, but the 991 GT3RS looks like a fukkin monster, along the lines of the 993GT2.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have been a Porsche owner and fan for years now.

Just sold an '11 Turbo S. Found PDK utterly boring for a

sports car trans. Basically a great auto box. Sounds like the

Gt3 version could be cooler but not convinced til

I drive one. PDK was great in the Panny Turbo I had as a DD.

You'll be pleasantly surprised I think in the difference. The exhaust note combined with 9k shifts and the PDK-S tranny is euphoric...

Totally different in the 991 GT3. I have had plenty of seat time in a turbo and I agree, the PDK was boring in that car. But the way the GT3 revs all the way up to 9k and the responsiveness of the RPM changes really creates a totally different feel in the 991GT3. I think that it feels MORE like a racecar because of the PDK and I do think it adds to the experience in some ways. The shifts are SO fast and it goes through the gears so quickly. I honestly think that the PDK/Dual clutch in the GT3/Huracan etc. is what makes these cars much quicker.

Just drove a 991 GT3 for the first time today (on track).

Took it for about 10 laps for morning warm up. Then gave a few rides and also sat in the right seat for a couple hours as customers drove it 3 laps at a time (I was instructing for XtremeXperience)

The PDK is brilliant. The car is so easy to drive it's almost too easy. Without insulting anyone who drove it today - most of the customers had never driven on a track before, and the car made them look good. They trounced on the throttle, they over-steered and the car corrected for a multitude of mistakes. None so fatal as to be dangerous - but it made pure novices look darn good. And those who got in the car with some skill looked masterful.

The car asked for oil TWICE in one day. Someone said the owners manual states it may need a quart every 600 miles. The thing was eating oil at a ridiculous rate - but of course it's an XX car and takes more abuse than most (although they maintain them fairly well for obvious reasons: safety and otherwise).

I was hoping to drive the GT3 back to back with a new C7 ZZZOOO6 but they decided not to add the C7 Zee to their fleet because of the heat soak issues. It would never hold up to the hours of track time and constant running at an event.

The GT3 is the darling of the fleet from the instructors standpoint - but I'd take the Huracan over the GT3 all day long. As much as I love Porsche in general - I prefer a mid engine car, and the tranny in the Huracan can absolutely hold its own versus PDK (and I could never had said that before the H). I love my Cayman R and I'd love a GT4 if I could get one, and I'd take either over a GT3 because for me it's more fun to drive due to the balance. Of course I'd take more HP in the Cayman but even underpowered (for me) it's more fun on the track.

Today I spent time in an R8 V10, Huracan, LP560 and 458. I gave rides in each and sat right seat in each. Give me the Huracan all day long - I'd be happy :)

Funny thing is when I went to the H unveiling in Miami last year I was quite underwhelmed with the car and disappointed in the exterior (especially the rear). It's since grown on me. I still think the silver doesn't do much for the car (unveiling color) but I love it in red and gray (we had both today).

I hope to get into a C7 ZeeOOO6 on track one of these days - but I'm cutting WAY back on my instructing at these events. Just not that much fun anymore and not worth the risk.

Good to hear Cake that you enjoy the Huracan I just took mine to the track first time since I bought it, I love the car even more, the Superleggera can't get here fast enough!

Good to hear Cake that you enjoy the Huracan I just took mine to the track first time since I bought it, I love the car even more, the Superleggera can't get here fast enough!
I can imagine why you love it even more! Great that you had the chance to track it!

Cake are you going to try and get a GT4?
I am on two lists but not terribly high on either list. I have strong relationships at both dealers, and there is a slim chance I MIGHT get a late 2016 allocation if a couple people ahead of me change their minds.

I'm resigned to believing I won't be ordering one which is okay. Eventually I'd like to pick one up but it'll be awhile before anything is available used, and I imagine prices could be well over MSRP with folks trying to profit from flipping the car. Not sure I'm willing to over-pay for the car so I may need a lot of patience.

In the mean time I'm very lucky to have a car I absolutely love (Cayman R) and am very happy driving track and street. And if I never get a GT4 I'm still a very lucky girl :D

BUT....If I'm lucky enough to get a GT4 I already know how I'd build it, and have color narrowed down but I'd probably wrap the entire car in a bright color since the choices don't thrill me and I'm not convinced it makes sense to pay for paint to sample when for probably the same cost I can wrap and protect the entire car nose to tail in a color I'd enjoy, and keep paint pristine for when I get tired of the wrap.

I did (for the first time) buy some raffle tickets to the PCA member only raffle. First prize is a GT4, and with every X-thousand entries they add a car. So far they're up to FIVE cars (only one GT4 - then a GTS - then an S - then a base - all Cayman). By far the most successful raffle ever - probably due to the GT4 give-away. I'm not usually a raffle person but I couldn't pass up the chance even though I never win at raffles, lotteries, etc (also because I hardly ever buy a ticket).

• 3 weeks later...
Just drove a 991 GT3 for the first time today (on track).

Took it for about 10 laps for morning warm up. Then gave a few rides and also sat in the right seat for a couple hours as customers drove it 3 laps at a time (I was instructing for XtremeXperience)

The PDK is brilliant. The car is so easy to drive it's almost too easy. Without insulting anyone who drove it today - most of the customers had never driven on a track before, and the car made them look good. They trounced on the throttle, they over-steered and the car corrected for a multitude of mistakes. None so fatal as to be dangerous - but it made pure novices look darn good. And those who got in the car with some skill looked masterful.

The car asked for oil TWICE in one day. Someone said the owners manual states it may need a quart every 600 miles. The thing was eating oil at a ridiculous rate - but of course it's an XX car and takes more abuse than most (although they maintain them fairly well for obvious reasons: safety and otherwise).

I was hoping to drive the GT3 back to back with a new C7 ZZZOOO6 but they decided not to add the C7 Zee to their fleet because of the heat soak issues. It would never hold up to the hours of track time and constant running at an event.

The GT3 is the darling of the fleet from the instructors standpoint - but I'd take the Huracan over the GT3 all day long. As much as I love Porsche in general - I prefer a mid engine car, and the tranny in the Huracan can absolutely hold its own versus PDK (and I could never had said that before the H). I love my Cayman R and I'd love a GT4 if I could get one, and I'd take either over a GT3 because for me it's more fun to drive due to the balance. Of course I'd take more HP in the Cayman but even underpowered (for me) it's more fun on the track.

Today I spent time in an R8 V10, Huracan, LP560 and 458. I gave rides in each and sat right seat in each. Give me the Huracan all day long - I'd be happy :)

Funny thing is when I went to the H unveiling in Miami last year I was quite underwhelmed with the car and disappointed in the exterior (especially the rear). It's since grown on me. I still think the silver doesn't do much for the car (unveiling color) but I love it in red and gray (we had both today).

I hope to get into a C7 ZeeOOO6 on track one of these days - but I'm cutting WAY back on my instructing at these events. Just not that much fun anymore and not worth the risk.

I've always wanted to drive a GT3. They sound like a ton of fun. I know people were all pissy about the PDK instead of a manual, but technology gets better and so does the driving. It'd be interesting. I have yet to try a modern generation, last decade, Porsche, of any kind.

paint to sample! my buddy at champion just sent me this, absolutely LOVE IT!

post-2228-1435591212_thumb.jpg

Is that Man of Chile grey or whatever they call it? Looks incredible.

• 3 months later...

Went to look at an mp412c Spyder and they had a 2015 Gt3 in white beside it. Holy fcuk that car has presence and I quickly lost all interest in the mclaren. Bought the GT3. Should have this week

Went to look at an mp412c Spyder and they had a 2015 Gt3 in white beside it. Holy fcuk that car has presence and I quickly lost all interest in the mclaren. Bought the GT3. Should have this week

Congratz L! :icon_thumleft:

^ Great photos!

Amazing how the GT3 dwarfs the 356!

It looks huge in comparison!

Congrats!!

Agree 100%. Those shots are great!