Diablo in the Outback

andecorp

Just flew back from the Outback today. The car is on the transporter and should be back here in a few days.

For those of you that don't know, that road sign with the black line through the circle means no speed limit. In the Northern Territory of Australia, an area the size of France, Germany and Spain combined, where only 240,000 people live, you can drive with no speed limits :D

post-1512-1439198834_thumb.jpg

Incredible! Sounds like an amazing time. What made you pick your roadster over the other two diablos? The AWD and more modern comfort features?

Yet again you raise the bar :-)

Having done a similar trip 25 years ago in a VW combi I am wondering:

How did the motor cope with the intense heat?

Did you have a backup vehicle with fuel? ( I seem to recall petrol stations were a bit thin on the ground out there... )

Were you concerned with hitting a roo at 180mph? !

Congrats on an epic trip that I guess not many would even contemplate in a Diablo ( fwiw I think you made the right choice of car - simply because the black looks so good against the red landscape !)

Mate its the peak of winter here in Australia

out there the max temp would only be roughly 24 at this time of year (thats about 74 degrees to those of you in the USA)

Yet again you raise the bar :-)

Having done a similar trip 25 years ago in a VW combi I am wondering:

Did you have a backup vehicle with fuel? ( I seem to recall petrol stations were a bit thin on the ground out there... )

Were you concerned with hitting a roo at 180mph? !

Congrats on an epic trip that I guess not many would even contemplate in a Diablo ( fwiw I think you made the right choice of car - simply because the black looks so good against the red landscape !)

+1 on the questions, would definitely like to hear more on the whole experience.

Mate its the peak of winter here in Australia

out there the max temp would only be roughly 24 at this time of year (thats about 74 degrees to those of you in the USA)

Brillant how that is defined as winter! It is summer here and today is nowhere near that hot.

Love the photo in front of Uluru and love content like this on here.

And I have not mentioned the Ashes result this time around. :icon_super:

Every year a whole bunch of us ship our cars out there on transporters to play around. This was the 10th year.

There were 3 Diablos this time around. 2 Roadsters and a 6.0. Plus a 650S, 458 Speciale, 997.2 GT3RS, Aston Vantage.

It is middle of winter here. Snowing in the hills of Melbourne, so it was nice to fly to the Outback where there was 29'C. No heat to worry the Diablo.

The biggest distance between fuel stops is 200km, so no issues and every station has at least 95, if not 98 octane.

I didn't take the SV as the shorter gears give it a much lower top speed. I didn't take the 2WD as it's just simply too hard to live with.

post-1512-1439296278_thumb.jpg

post-1512-1439296312_thumb.jpg

post-1512-1439296663_thumb.jpg

I remember my last trip there, I had a great time, seeing the rock is like a religious experience, hard to explain but there is something magic about it.