Dodge Viper probably done

murcivu

Been floating around the rumor mill for a little while. Same as last time though so I wouldn't count it out. My be as good time to get one though!

I saw the 2014 Viper at a Hertz in California. It definitely made me stop what I was doing and take a look at it. I think they just need to reconfigure how they're going to market the car and how much they charge for it.

Viper owners clamored together saying no to anything but a NA v10 and manual transmission, so Dodge built it and here we are, dismal sales, no better performance than the previous generation... simple case of evolve or die out....

Viper owners clamored together saying no to anything but a NA v10 and manual transmission, so Dodge built it and here we are, dismal sales, no better performance than the previous generation... simple case of evolve or die out....

:iamwithstupid: The only strategy that made sense would have been to make fundamental changes to expand the potential customer base, and instead they tried to cater to the existing customer base, and that group either isn't large enough to support the car or simply didn't buy enough of them.

:iamwithstupid: The only strategy that made sense would have been to make fundamental changes to expand the potential customer base, and instead they tried to cater to the existing customer base, and that group either isn't large enough to support the car or simply didn't buy enough of them.

Yes and no, IMO.

Add an option for auto (torque converter or single/dual clutch)? Fine.

Turbo/blown v6/v8? No.

Gotta stand up for what's right. New Ford GT ain't right bc of that.

And anyone trying to drastically change a Viper or somehow turn it into a Porsche or Ferrari has no understanding of cars.

The "evolution" of performance cars in these aspects is sickening. What the modern "enthusiast" demands is at times nauseating. Makes me irritable like Sonnythebull.

The death of the stick shift transmission is a travesty.

As of August of this year I believe, Dodge sold about 420 Vipers which was down from last year same period. Where is the customer base that they were building cars for? Don't know what else they could do to the car at this point to make it more appealing. I have had 3 or 4 Vipers and just did not care for the "new" model when I test drove it. Hope they can do something as I would like to see it continue.

and yet there is and will be monster demand for the Ford GT.... applications just to buy one... and big $$$

Yes and no, IMO.

Add an option for auto (torque converter or single/dual clutch)? Fine.

Turbo/blown v6/v8? No.

Gotta stand up for what's right. New Ford GT ain't right bc of that.

And anyone trying to drastically change a Viper or somehow turn it into a Porsche or Ferrari has no understanding of cars.

The "evolution" of performance cars in these aspects is sickening. What the modern "enthusiast" demands is at times nauseating. Makes me irritable like Sonnythebull.

The death of the stick shift transmission is a travesty.

and yet there is and will be monster demand for the Ford GT.... applications just to buy one... and big $$$

I said nothing about sales. That's not how I define a successful car as an enthusiast.

New Ford GT no longer sounds like a beast. I drove the old one and loved it because of the sound. Power was great but that alone wasnt enough for it to be a great driving experience.

A Viper that's not a N/A v10 or even a v8 isn't a Viper, IMO.

Corvettes shouldn't be anything but naturally aspirated v8s either.

A flagship Ferrari/Lamborghini that isn't a N/A V12 just isn't the same.

If env regs force it to be that way, fine (and we can all cry together).

But customers dictating the terms? BS.

Nope. The shutdown of the Connor Avenue assembly plant where it's produced was part of the recently ratified UAW contract. I read earlier that it was one of the sticking points from earlier negotiations. FCA wanted to shut it down. UAW said no. It took concessions from FCA to get the UAW to agree.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/news/...n-ends-in-2017/

It's amazing how much bad press the Viper gets but for me its one of the most fun cars to drive with very little worry about reliability.

The new ACR is the Donald Trump of cars. :)

DG016_037VP19288bacunshbdeqa8s6a973dm.jpg

It's amazing how much bad press the Viper gets but for me its one of the most fun cars to drive with very little worry about reliability.

The new ACR is the Donald Trump of cars. :)

DG016_037VP19288bacunshbdeqa8s6a973dm.jp

Can't wait to pick one up when it drops into the $70-80k's. Should be a fun toy and to take to the tracks.

Will be even more tempting if the supercharger packages work out

Woodhouse has a ton of new ACR's getting heads/cam/header packages. They will be absolute animals on the race track.

Yeah, that's a great option too. D3 will hopefully have a blower kit in the near future. This is still pretty much the only thing that has my interest if I were to find myself lamboless. Just bought a truck though lol

So apparently the new ACR just beat like 13 track records including Laguna, beating the 918 for fastest production car lap. Also another shop is looking to get into the supercharger game. Very impressive car for the money. I know at least one member has one on order.

all the track records. Over 2 seconds faster than the 918 at willow and something near that at laguna seca.

It's one nasty SOB.

And I should clarify that the additional vendor is just getting into the Gen V supercharger game, A&C Performance is already a big name in the Viper world. Man it is tempting!