The L/P Bootstrapper Thread

Destructo

This isn't a "What do you do for a living thread" it's..."Far from it!" See what i did there?

As much as some of us don't like each other, and others like each other too much, this ultimately is a community of people with at least one similar interest. And in the interest of trying to cultivate some quality new posts and interaction of members, this is my thought.

I think there are many exceptional members on here. Many people have, or look at a Lamborghini as motivation, the symbol of their success or socioeconomic status. And many people have some pretty incredible stories (and may want to share their experiences) and have worked very hard to be able to afford one or the lifestyle associated with it.

So for those of you who built, or are building your own empire currently by your own chutzpah (no "I got a job at Daddy's law firm," or "I only had a $5mm loan from my trust-fund and now am a huge success!" stories, not the theme in this post) this thread is for you to share your story if you see fit.

If you think others might find you experience motivating or something others will relate to, by all means share it hear.

Share as much or as little as you like. And anyone that thinks they are successful, or working towards it, that's fine to post. Are you in the middle of the hardest part? Want see if anyone else is there? Post that too. Your story doesn't have to be finished, it could just be getting started. I'm just seeing what sticks.

General notice, this won't be a "Buy my shit" thread.

So have a success story to tell or a lesson learned? Share away!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could use some motivation in my life. Subscribed.

I could use some motivation in my life. Subscribed.

I thought I motivated you with that picture I sent you on FB???

I thought I motivated you with that picture I sent you on FB???

Well yeah. I just need some constant motivation. Depression swings aren't fun.

I won't bore you all with a long story, but I own/run an app development (we do occasional websites too) company. I started the company when I was young and continue to build it today. I am pleased to say that every year has gotten better and better. This year is looking to be our biggest year yet. I am not rags to riches, nor do I pretend to be. I come from a good background, but my parents taught me, from a young age, the importance of opportunity over handouts. I credit everything I have today and will have in the future to the way I was raised. I am 18 and like to think I am successful for my age, but I am not done yet. I am a car enthusiast, like the rest of you, and have loved Lamborghini for the majority of my life. When I was 17 I had the opportunity to purchase my Murcielago and have it to this day (RomanDad can verify the car is real lol and who I am for any trolls out there). I figured I would throw this up, not in an effort to show how young I am, but rather anything is possible with enough hard work and ambition. "The only way to achieve your dreams is to stop dreaming and start working!"

Destructo, Thank you for this thread as it's going to serve as an inspiration for me and some other members here! Let's hope I don't jinx myself.

My story:

As a kid I always loved Lamborghinis. I would have all of my exotic supercar HotWheels separates from the other ones so that they wouldn't get messed up. When I was 12 I saw Cannonball run for the first time. It was like I saw a naked woman for the first time when I watched the opening scene. I lived in a very strict household, so getting out of bed a night was a no-go. Regardless, I snuck out to the TV and turned on Cannonball Run at midnight on a school night and watched the opening scene maybe 10 times and then fast forwarded to all of the Countach scenes. I knew I wanted it in my life. I would tell adults when I was growing up how I was going to own a Lamborghini and every single one of them laughed and said how they were as much as a house, then I would tell them I wanted 5 (now I have 12 specific Lambo's I want).

Growing up, I didn't know what I was going to do. I was constantly picked on in school and I used to have the lowest self-esteem. I didn't think that I would get anywhere in life. I knew where I wanted to go and didn't know how I would ever get there.

Fast forward to about a year and a half ago. I was standing on a pier fully loaded in combat gear guarding some submarine in the 100 degree weather. We have to stand security watch every now and then but I was tagged with it for 4 months and have to still do it twice a month. I was hot and sweaty. My hips were raw from my belt and my entire body was killing me. I wasn't having any of it. 12 hours a day we stand there and rove with little to no human interaction. Yeah it could be worse, and I would have rather been in a combat zone doing actual work, but it really got me thinking. I was tired of this bullshit and wanted to find a way to a better life and stop working shitty jobs like that. So everyday, for 12 hours straight I would think of how I could make my life better. At first I chased real estate and then realized it wasn't a promising field as there are more agents in this state percentage wise than other states. I completed real estate school and didn’t do anything with it. Then one day I came up with the idea for my current invention. I showed it to my brother in law who is in the field that my invention is for and he told me to go for it. So for a year and some change I've been building this thing and I'm going to be done in 6 days. My goal? Sell it to a multi-million or billion dollar company. But I know I can't stop there.

Last year I became incredible friends with some members on this board. We would talk weekly about our goals and what we were doing to achieve our lifestyle, until one day I said: "Wait... Why are we not working together to reach our goals? Why don't we create something?" So we are now. We started and registered a business and are working very hard on many projects currently, all of which we are determined to succeed at. Some of these projects are monumental, some are small, but every week we are plugging away at them.

Sometimes it takes a hard time and a kick in the ass to really put things in perspective and give you the motivation you need. A lot of time, people here are ball busters and it just fuels my fire more. I love when people talk shit or tell myself or others here to get to work. Either you're going to be a bitch and get nowhere or you're going to bust your ass and get somewhere. I can't thank the people on this forum enough. I did not see myself where I am today, a year ago.

I really want to hear from some other people about their stories.

CallMeJarob, thank you!

Yellomurci, thank you as well!

Szabo_martin, I appreciate that! I am normally hesitant to talk age because most 18 years olds with Lambos are assholes. They are entitled kids who never learned what work is and will never appreciate what they have.

I am a car guy and joined up here because of the community. I appreciate you all treating me like any other member. That is just one of the few reasons this is the best forum on the internet.

Doc_K, you are so close man! Hopefully our project together will get you there. Loved hearing your story and can't wait to see what color combo/year you end up with!

Thats what unites most of us. I had every 1/18 scale super car in my room, every road and track magazine. I never thought I would own a Lamborghini, honestly I still don't believe it and its been 10 years. Its such a privilege to own one. My story is nothing special, went to University got my BSc, went to dental school, dropped out to work in oil and gas ( was broke and got an offer for a summer job in Houston making more money then I have ever seen). Worked in every shit hole on the planet 12-16 hour days for months straight. Like Doc K I tried stocks, realestate, had a few business, a divorce (being the most expensive) its just a journey. You keep pushing, some days are harder then other but you have to keep the fire alive. I remember coming home to my house being empty after working away for 2 months. Was a hard time, but I took my lickings. I wish I knew the answer and could help people. My parents fled communism with the shirt on their back, so I owe them to push myself. Taking my Dad (also a car guy) who always put the family ahead of himself, to Newport Beach for the NP300 was a huge point in my life, to have him enjoy the cars and the scene. Its an event I will take to my grave. Anyway...carrying on here... key is to push yourself, don't listen to the negative people... I know there are a lot of people who are jealous that would love to see us fail.

Thats what unites most of us. I had every 1/18 scale super car in my room, every road and track magazine. I never thought I would own a Lamborghini, honestly I still don't believe it and its been 10 years. Its such a privilege to own one. My story is nothing special, went to University got my BSc, went to dental school, dropped out to work in oil and gas ( was broke and got an offer for a summer job in Houston making more money then I have ever seen). Worked in every shit hole on the planet 12-16 hour days for months straight. Like Doc K I tried stocks, realestate, had a few business, a divorce (being the most expensive) its just a journey. You keep pushing, some days are harder then other but you have to keep the fire alive. I remember coming home to my house being empty after working away for 2 months. Was a hard time, but I took my lickings. I wish I knew the answer and could help people. My parents fled communism with the shirt on their back, so I owe them to push myself. Taking my Dad (also a car guy) who always put the family ahead of himself, to Newport Beach for the NP300 was a huge point in my life, to have him enjoy the cars and the scene. Its an event I will take to my grave. Anyway...carrying on here... key is to push yourself, don't listen to the negative people... I know there are a lot of people who are jealous that would love to see us fail.

I think your story is great! It has to be so rewarding every time you get in your car. That is a story that is filled with hard work and adversity. My folks are car people and are super hard workers. My Mom came from a poor family and grew up in a house smaller then their current (Mom & Dad) garage. She worked hard and got herself out of a situation that she didn't want to be. Now she (along with my dad) drives a Lamborghini Gallardo (3-pedal), Lotus Evora S, Dodge Viper, etc. I would always remark how neat it must be for her to see the bull emblem on the steering wheel in front of her. Your story reminds me of that story for some reason.

IMG_2687.JPG

IMG_1305.JPG

IMG_9109.JPG

Thats awesome Sheldon. To think when people are at a dark point in their life and get through it, they can enjoy the rewards that make them happy. I love seeing true car people being able to enjoy some nice cars :) Theres nothing wrong with people who buy them as a status symbol, but for me its more about getting out with the people I care about and enjoying what these amazing machines can do.

Paging Lubejobs. Awesome rags to riches story

His was published wasnt it? I remember reading his, but cant remember where.

His was published wasnt it? I remember reading his, but cant remember where.

Here it is. http://www.secretentourage.com/success-sto.../gino-gargiulo/

Love the idea of this thread! I think most of us here collectively understand what it takes to get to where we want in life, the hard work, the focus, the failures along the way that makes it look like it was an overnight success when you're out driving the Lamborghini.

Here it is. http://www.secretentourage.com/success-sto.../gino-gargiulo/

Love the idea of this thread! I think most of us here collectively understand what it takes to get to where we want in life, the hard work, the focus, the failures along the way that makes it look like it was an overnight success when you're out driving the Lamborghini.

I'm with you, mine was a "20 year overnight success" with the first 10 years not very lucrative.

People on these boards or at car shows etc ask what you do for a living thinking this must be the key to success and wealth when in reality its not what you do rather its what you do with it.

I'm with you, mine was a "20 year overnight success" with the first 10 years not very lucrative.

People on these boards or at car shows etc ask what you do for a living thinking this must be the key to success and wealth when in reality its not what you do rather its what you do with it.

Exactly!! I like to use this analogy- You can give someone the ingredients to bake a cake, even the recipe but without the execution it will all be useless.

He is a very mature 18! Its great to see

He's TOO mature for an 18 year old... I know sheldon pretty well... I like him too, which is pretty astounding... But the Kid needs to fcuking be a kid.