Contemplating selling my 1999 Diablo VT Coupe

azlambo

Why dont you post some of your cars here for all to see?

i was thinking the same.

AZLambo, do what you feel is right.

But remember, once you sell, getting your car back(or similar in the condition your car is) probably won't be an option down the road.

Wish I still had my CT. Well, you just move on.

Good luck what ever you decide.

Lets grab a coffee next time Im in town

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly I would rather stay humble..... But please note I have been in the market for a right DR for about 2 years so my opinion and objective decisions are based as a buyer.

But since you asked

Lamborghini

1991 Diablo

1986 Jalpa (Talk about a rare machine... only 400 made ever)

And from my dark side

3 well built Lamborghini craplica (I am trying to sell but don't want to give away, I have enough money tied into it to buy another early model Diablo at today's price)

Remember I have been in the market for a Diablo Roadster for couple of years but as an objective buyer I cant justify the price. Aventador is looking more and more attractive at that price.

Honestly, I just do not have that type of discretionary funds currently or I would have already moved into a Ave....

If I could move my Diablo even at half the price of a Ave I would do it in a heartbeat........ I don't think it will sell just like any other 15+ on ebay and around 60+ across the world

If they were so hot they would sell like hotcake rather then being relisted again and again year after year.....

Again this is just my observation and opinion

Oh god.

Honestly I would rather stay humble..... But please note I have been in the market for a right DR for about 2 years so my opinion and objective decisions are based as a buyer.

But since you asked

Lamborghini

1991 Diablo

1986 Jalpa (Talk about a rare machine... only 400 made ever)

And from my dark side

3 well built Lamborghini craplica (I am trying to sell but don't want to give away, I have enough money tied into it to buy another early model Diablo at today's price)

Remember I have been in the market for a Diablo Roadster for couple of years but as an objective buyer I cant justify the price. Aventador is looking more and more attractive at that price.

Honestly, I just do not have that type of discretionary funds currently or I would have already moved into a Ave....

If I could move my Diablo even at half the price of a Ave I would do it in a heartbeat........ I don't think it will sell just like any other 15+ on ebay and around 60+ across the world

If they were so hot they would sell like hotcake rather then being relisted again and again year after year.....

Again this is just my observation and opinion

No way in hell you have 2 real, proper Lamborghinis AND a REPLICA.

Yes I knew the name was familiar. He is the replica guy that hawks and farms Classifieds for old parts.

No way in hell you have 2 real, proper Lamborghinis AND a REPLICA.

Are you kidding?! This guy is legit. Not only does he have one REPLICA...he has 3.

This is just my opinion hence my "full-objective". I love the Diablo as well but not at that price I guess. I respect your opinion and My apology if I caused any ill feelings....

Oh, I'm not upset...no ill feelings. I'm just saying if you start with subjective thoughts, end with equivalent subjective thoughts. Like whatever you like, and avoiding applying your qualifiers to every buyer will keep the logic straight.

if you are a current diablo owner great,if you sold and went again say in 1 year missed it and wanted another diablo you most likely would not pay the prices that they are asking .if they still hold ,now if the econmy takes a dump in 2017 than everything will change,like ive said in past owned 2 diablos a sv and vt and would not pay the asking prices some as seen for as high as 525 k .if i was a current owner i would sell if they really are getting close to the 300k as you guys are stating. i would sell and laugh all the way to the bank ,i dont fall in love with my cars.

^^ I tend to agree.

I can't help but feel you'd have to be insane - or so flush with cash that it just didn't matter - to be parting with anywhere near the asking price for some of the Diablos on the market at the moment.

My guess is that these owners asking big bucks are trying their luck - if it sells then great, if it doesn't then great too! No harm in that.

In some ways that's what might keep asking prices where they are - there just may not be many actual sales. If it ever get's to a point where a significant number of owners are motivated to sell then it might be a different matter.

As an ex-owner I am certainly fascinated by it and no doubt the current market did me a huge favour when it came time for me to sell.

To put that comment in perspective when I first tried selling my SV in '12 I got very little interest and no offers.

I then tried again in '14 and had some interest but after a period of negotiation the potential buyer walked away.

3 months ago I sold for just under twice the figure the car was turned down at in '14 - and I can tell you I will never have any complaints or regrets about it!

AZLambo that is a beautiful & very special Diablo. If you do decide to sell I wish you all the best with it.

While I love the CT it is the Diablo that really brings Lamborghini into the modern era. Interior design is light years ahead of the CT as are the improved mechanicals. Really two different worlds two different sets of parameters defining what level of performance would be considered

" supercar " .

While I love the CT it is the Diablo that really brings Lamborghini into the modern era. Interior design is light years ahead of the CT as are the improved mechanicals. Really two different worlds two different sets of parameters defining what level of performance would be considered

" supercar " .

The Ct is great to drive in certain conditions.. the Diablo is great to drive in all conditions..

I'm tempted by both the Aventador, and Huracan, but from a dollars and cent's standpoint, to sell an appreciating asset for a depreciating one just doesn't sit well with me. Yes the money does matter after you've owned your car for a number of years. In addition, the newer cars can't hold a candle to the older ones unless you're all about technology. The newer ones are faster? That matters less and less as you age, and can't use the extra power on the streets anyway.

Even if I weren't all about individual passions and nostalgia, I'd likely still choose the Diablo from an aesthetic viewpoint simply because it's so low and its wedge is so abrupt and well defined -- pushed full forward starting closer to the ground. The wedge concept started to soften when the Belgian got a hold of the design department. The new cars still look cool to me, but they are getting noticeably taller and the hood-to-windshield line is becoming more interrupted and it incorporates more curvatures. Narrowing rear tires don't help my eye either, but to each his own. The 50th Anni roadsters and SV Aventadors create some really cool distractions in their leading edges to allow the big intake mouths to flow, but a stock Av, Murci, or Reventon is still blocky down low in front whereas the Diablo is more Countach-like in its wedge.

I dont understand those who say ... I wouldnt spend 300k on a Diablo knowing I could get one for 100k 5 yrs ago... If I didnt have a Diablo, Id pay whatever it cost, aslong as I could afford it.

I dont understand those who say ... I wouldnt spend 300k on a Diablo knowing I could get one for 100k 5 yrs ago... If I didnt have a Diablo, Id pay whatever it cost, aslong as I could afford it.

:iamwithstupid:

So by that rationale these people would never buy a home. At least around SoCal in most cases you don't have to look back very far to find 'your house' for 1/5th the price of what it cost today.

Probably the same people who looked ta AMZN a year ago at $370 and thought fcuk that... except that it's over $710 now.

So by that rationale these people would never buy a home.

Or maybe just weren't buying property in 2007 because they felt an adjustment coming?

Probably the same people who looked ta AMZN a year ago at $370 and thought fcuk that... except that it's over $710 now.

Or the same people who didn't buy VW a year ago?

:icon_mrgreen:

I paid 44k for my first Countach. Im in my second for almost 4x that. Do I care. Nope... Would I pay 400k today.. Yup...

I paid 44k for my first Countach. Im in my second for almost 4x that. Do I care. Nope... Would I pay 400k today.. Yup...

Most people misunderstand the purpose of money, it's currency you exchange for happiness :icon_mrgreen:

Exactly. At the end of the day, these are essentially toys and hence luxury goods. One needs to pay to play. If one believes one have higher priorities elsewhere, that' fine; if one is ready to indulge and there is no burden to such, why not?

Fully agree

Exactly. At the end of the day, these are essentially toys and hence luxury goods. One needs to pay to play. If one believes one have higher priorities elsewhere, that' fine; if one is ready to indulge and there is no burden to such, why not?

The underlying message I'm getting from all of this is that a lot of people cannot afford these older exotics at the newer level and that's it. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

It wasn't a very long time ago that the older exotic landscape looked like this:

308/Jalpa - $30-40k

Testarossa - $50-60k

512 TR - $80-100k

512 BB(i) - $100-130k

Countach - $70-100k

Daytona - $100-200k

Miura - $150-250k

Diablo - $70-160k

F40 - $250-300k

288 GTO - $300k

F50 - $600k

Now that everything is about 4-5 times as much, it's a bit of a reality check for many.

You could play the game a different way and ask, what if a new Huracan was a $600k car and Aventador $900k? Would they be worth it then?

The underlying message I'm getting from all of this is that a lot of people cannot afford these older exotics at the newer level and that's it. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

It wasn't a very long time ago that the older exotic landscape looked like this:

308/Jalpa - $30-40k

Testarossa - $50-60k

512 TR - $80-100k

512 BB(i) - $100-130k

Countach - $70-100k

Daytona - $100-200k

Miura - $150-250k

Diablo - $70-160k

F40 - $250-300k

288 GTO - $300k

F50 - $600k

Now that everything is about 4-5 times as much, it's a bit of a reality check for many.

You could play the game a different way and ask, what if a new Huracan was a $600k car and Aventador $900k? Would they be worth it then?

Theyre not worth asking price to me. New cars just arent special. Theyve already produced close to as many Aventadors as total Diablos and Murcielagos combined. They will probably make close to 20,000 Huracans

Looking down the road a lot of this car speculation is going to go away. Demographics will see to that with 20-30 somethings caring less about cars in general. They won't be attracted to older cars if at all, and as for the 50-60 somethings, paying $250K for a $3K Mustang, that generation will have to start divesting themselves of their toys for other priorities in life. Pretty sure all that will happen, just don't ask me when. :huh:

I have to say having the money or not, I wouldn't pay $300K for a Diablo now having bought at a much lower price, and gotten all the enjoyment I'm going to get out of it.