Home Security Threat - Advice Needed

emissary

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the input; this is incredibly valuable, and I really appreciate it.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, that's some crazy stuff from reading the replies here. I suppose I wouldn't have thought of it that way but romandad definitely makes some good points. That's some scary shit.

Agreed with others on the cameras and the door bell camera. I will add. DO NOT go outside again!. Even if armed. You are in control of what is happening on the inside of the home. Once you break seal and go outside, you are now working in there favor if they are waiting. Stay in home and watch cameras. Pending your laws, if someone tried to make forced entry you can eliminate the threat. Which I hope you have the means and mentality to do so.

That is just my advice since this goes up my field of work.

Oregon allows deadly force if they break into your home. Anyone who enters into your home unwelcome, if you fear for your safety, is fair game.

Very scary especially with a family to worry about. There is some good advice in here, especially Willis' "DO NOT GO OUTSIDE AGAIN" and "Be Safe Bro, if you cant be safe, be fcuking dangerous!"

I still remember Roman's must have list for home invasion and have implemented most if not all of the items. My favorite from the list is glow sticks. Everyone always laughs at it until I explain the logic behind it.

Very scary especially with a family to worry about. There is some good advice in here, especially Willis' "DO NOT GO OUTSIDE AGAIN" and "Be Safe Bro, if you cant be safe, be fcuking dangerous!"

I still remember Roman's must have list for home invasion and have implemented most if not all of the items. My favorite from the list is glow sticks. Everyone always laughs at it until I explain the logic behind it.

Do you have a link to that thread?

Lots of upsides to guns and dogs, but as for the cons,

On Guns, consider,

- Your local laws if you actually do shoot someone. Are you going to get off or are you going to be engaged in a six-figure legal battle that lasts ten years with some worthless shitbag because you injured him? If you don't care, shoot to kill...screw maiming someone...easier and cheaper in the long run (Texas = decent. Virginia = horrible). Such is the balancing act between protecting your lives at all costs and rolling the dice to forever alter them.

- Your proficiency with firearms. Handguns look easier than they are. Can you be effective? Can the other adults in your home be effective or are they more of a liability?

- Your daughter. Children can be a major liability to having guns in various states of accessibility in the house...a high matter to consider when formulating your plan. Kids finding guns unattended, bullets going through walls hitting kids while trying to shoot criminals, the stories abound.

On Dogs, consider,

- They are carnivorous versions of children and are full-time family members to be effective. You'll hear to not get a security dog if you're not planning on doing A LOT of work with the dog yourself. A dumb yappy dog will sound an effective alarm just the same as a big dog (to notify you vice defend you). A big dog will only scare off some opponents and you could end up with more legal battles if the dog bites someone on your property (because life is unfair). Love my Doberman to no end and is my favorite dog of all time. He's protective, loyal, and willing, but I wouldn't want him to go to battle with someone barely worth the $1 bullet it takes to kill them anyway.

...not trying to talk you out of any of these things...just thoughts to factor into your plan.

In no special order make sure you tick all these boxes

1) Detect

2) Record

3) Deter

4) Defend

My favorite from the list is glow sticks. Everyone always laughs at it until I explain the logic behind it.
glad I am not the only one to get it.

Lots of upsides to guns and dogs, but as for the cons,

I agree there is liability but as the saying goes "I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by 6".

Dogs of any size know their territory, even a lap "yappy" dog will give great warning. Big dogs, like Dobies, will be more likely to react to sensing your comfort level. In HS I had a German Shep. She was a total sweetheart walking the neighborhood off leash and to friends, but if she did not know you and you got on the property, heaven help you, she even went after my younger brother when I was pissed off at him and would not let him in the house until I forgave him. That dog new my property line better than the city, I swear. Even my huge fluffy Malamute would bare his teeth and get pissy if he thought I was mad at someone or they were too close to "his truck".

TheHoundsButton.jpg

Another round of advice:

Roman might give you better clarification on what to do. If you shoot someone. Do not say a word to the police after calling 911. Remain silent. The cops may badger you and make it seem like you're the bad guy, but it doesn't mean anything. Do not say anything, as it may possibly hurt you in the long run even if it was 100% justified. The only thing you should say is that you need your lawyer.

for $200 buy the "ring" motion sensor camera controlled by an app on your phone.

you can see and hear everything plus record images etc..

best invention ever IMO

Im not going to be woken up by the sound of someone in the house..... Suffice it to say, I will know they are approaching the house at least 30 seconds to a minute before they actually get close to an entry point... And there will be some things slowing them down as they try to make entry...

And yep.... Thats plenty of time for me to grab the shotty, put on clothes, put in earplugs, call the cops, make a pot of coffee, etc....Time is on my side.... Not theirs.

As for the glow sticks..... Theyre not to illuminate ME..... theyre to illuminate THEM.... (not to mention... They are a hell of a psychological weapon when you think about it.... You break into a home and see glow sticks all over the floor where you had hoped to hide in darkness.... Thats a big fcuking hint- you picked the wrong home.)

Post 41, but also throughout the "I really need to buy a new gun..." thread.

Another good tip is a bright weapon light. It not only helps you see like it is daytime, but anyone in front of you won't be able to see anything but a blinding light which gives you another advantage and possibly a chance you won't have to shoot.

A criminal wanting to steal my stuff comes during the day when I am at work. One that comes in the middle of the night is only there to do bad things to my family. With that thought, my life is in danger, cops are at the least 10 minutes away, so I intend to follow Willis' advice and be as dangerous as possible.

Do not say a word to the police after calling 911. Remain silent.
TSRH, totally 100%. Cops are there to pin something on someone, not to determine innocence. Any time you are faced with a cop asking you questions, he is your enemy.

We live in a nice neighborhood as well but after having a child I felt like we could never be too safe. We now have both a security system and full blown surveillance setup with IP cameras all around our property. The cameras run 24/7 and will notify you of any movement they sense, I love it.

Guns are great for actual break ins but you're not going to be shooting someone who's ringing your doorbell too much lol.

JK79- Be aware that when you light up a target you are also giving up your position. NVGs brother!! Perfect home defense weapon....SBR AR with a can and some NVGs of your liking. The suppressor in my eyes more for my family then anything else, inside the home the concussion with be very great and can damage babies and lil kids hearing. Oh and also ALWAYS shoot to eliminate the threat!! If your engaging a target you want it down, and never coming back (or suing/retaliating).

RobberBaron- Get some better ammo bro :-) :-) What is that Wolf steel casings?

We live in a nice neighborhood as well but after having a child I felt like we could never be too safe. We now have both a security system and full blown surveillance setup with IP cameras all around our property. The cameras run 24/7 and will notify you of any movement they sense, I love it.

Guns are great for actual break ins but you're not going to be shooting someone who's ringing your doorbell too much lol.

I am a huge advocate of being armed with the skills sets to use the tools available to you. 100x's over if you have family. And no I would tag someone just ringing my doorbell, I would never gets car or amazon deliveries. lol! Need to use some common sense in situations. We all have a built in "Shit about to get real" sense in us. Its just most people dont listen to it. :-)

Also are you in L.A.Cali or LA/Louisiana?

I am a huge advocate of being armed with the skills sets to use the tools available to you. 100x's over if you have family. And no I would tag someone just ringing my doorbell, I would never gets car or amazon deliveries. lol! Need to use some common sense in situations. We all have a built in "Shit about to get real" sense in us. Its just most people dont listen to it. :-)

Also are you in L.A.Cali or LA/Louisiana?

Sounds like you are ready to go to war LOL

JK79- Be aware that when you light up a target you are also giving up your position. NVGs brother!! Perfect home defense weapon....SBR AR with a can and some NVGs of your liking. The suppressor in my eyes more for my family then anything else, inside the home the concussion with be very great and can damage babies and lil kids hearing. Oh and also ALWAYS shoot to eliminate the threat!! If your engaging a target you want it down, and never coming back (or suing/retaliating).

Busted lol :icon_mrgreen: I like my cheap ammo for running rounds through

The nice stuff is for the nicer guns

IMG_0575.JPG

for a temporary solution get the BLINK wireless camera system. It is actually completely wireless and works on batteries. costs only 250 bucks for 5 or 6 of them. It records great video and sound as well. I have them around and you can check them wirelessly from your phone. They do run on wifi so you have to have a good signal. they also run on motion sensors or live. Super easy to install and takes about 5 to 10 minutes to install them. That a RING doorbell and an AR in your hand and you should be good.

How is the street and yard lighting? Consider getting some good LED lights to help the cameras.

I would also call the PD to get a threat assessment of your house. They will give you solid advice on landscaping, door/window penetration that help you deter threats. Foe example, trim bushes low so people can't hide and jump out on you. Use plants like roses around fences, gates etc.

Good point and a can is on the shortlist now that I have a few guns with threaded barrels. I shot my AR15 outside once without ears on and that was painful, I can't imagine not doing permanent damage when firing indoors if not suppressed.

Lots of good advise, which all of us should take note of. Just due to the fact that we all own nice expensive cars tends to attract attention to our homes. If I was a robber, I would just assume there is a lot of good stuff to grab in that home, and maybe the car too. You are smart, so think like a robber. Go outside and take a good look around as if you were a robber and think what would detour you from messing with your home. Just hearing your situation, I would have two types of motion lighting systems, one that lights up with normal lighting similar to what any common house may have, and then a special one that is as bright as an airport runway where the sensor is in a critical place that you feel fit, such as near your front door if that is where you want it. I have a sensor that is separate from the light itself so that it can be put wherever. My thought on two systems is that it still gives you a normal lighting system of a normal house, and therefore does not attract too much attention to your home and may make robbers think twice if they approach at a reasonable distance. But if someone has balls enough where the normal motion lighting system does not detour them, and they then get close to your second extreme motion system then they may have second thoughts as you blind the shit out of them and the area. Plus doing two systems may allow you not to freak out all the time if you only had one real bright motion system on your large area that goes off all the time. To me it sounds like your front door area is a concern where someone is bothering you, so send a message with a super bright motion system right at the door that essentially sends a message that you know your business and therefore fcuk off. Later you could always put a less brighter bulb in if you desire.

Plus do the cameras too. I have Lorex high def which work great. If getting a camera system, buy one with capabilities of more cameras than you need, because as time passes you will find places to put them that you did not think of before (I guarantee that for sure). They all don't need to be on your house either, think out of the box such as camera on stick within bushes, etc. Cameras are good to help detour because they are visible, but if they are all too far away then they are a bit harder to recognize faces, lic plates, etc.

Plus last thought, since you say you do see them, then I would affix an audible serine alarm maybe near your front door; however in this instance you would have control when to press that button for the serine to go on and off (I am sure your neighbors wouldn't want that noise all the time automatically). In your case it sounds that your actual use of such a serine would be very infrequent, but if I was a robber I would run the hell out of there after that coupled with bright light. Make them run, no need to get out of your house (I never do).

In the end I would not tell anyone of what systems you have put in place either, for obvious reasons (do you know all the protective systems for the White House?). Only my wife knows all of ours.

When ever I got out of town or occasionally see something unusual our local PD has always been more than happy to set up additional routes by our house (I didn't want to type "drive by" lol)

File reports anyway. LEO will never know it is an issue. It may be happening to other residences also. If no one says anything, nothing will be done.

NVG and "zombie" ammo will get you in more trouble than it is worth. they will say you are baiting a trap.