Back surgery this Friday - Lumbar Microdisectomy

Charlie

Hey LP members! I am not posting this on any of my social media so please do not post on my FB page, etc. I go in this Friday for the lumbar microdisectomy. This is from years of wear and tear on my body from weighted vests, etc. I carried a dude a few weeks ago and re-injured my back and had epidural shots (like in the past) and just did another round of epidural shots (L4, L5 & S1) this past Friday with no luck reducing the swelling to get my right foot functioning - foot drop. The epidural shots always help reduce my pain so I do not have to live on pain meds - pain meds drive me nuts to live on because I do not like the feeling. I must do the surgery per my neurosurgeon because this time if I do not I may not be able to walk or run again with a normal stride.

I am wanting to know if anyone had this surgery and in particular for foot drop. What should I honestly expect post surgery? When will I be able to be doing normal activities again? when will I start to be able to work out with weights again (besides with PT)?

This puts my whole life on hold especially with one of my companies that I have guys coming out here for training, etc. Any input, advice, etc would be greatly appreciated!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have nothing useful to add other than to wish you speedy recovery and hope it's a resounding success. :icon_thumleft:

Feel better bud!

I have nothing useful to add other than to wish you speedy recovery and hope it's a resounding success. :icon_thumleft:

Feel better bud!

Thank you Emanon! I appreciate it!

Feel better bud!

:iamwithstupid:

Wishing you the best. PM sent

Received and can't thank you enough!

:iamwithstupid:

Thank you Brother!

Good luck. It's a pretty common operation and pretty quick for a neurosurgeon. I don't know much about recovery but I do know that fortunately it's bread and butter stuff for them.

Can you post or PM who the surgeon is? If it's at the Mayo I may know your surgeon.

I had a spine products company and have been in thousands of those surgeries, if you want to chat off line.

fcuk brother, so sorry to hear. I for see myself down this same road in a year or two if Im lucky to get that.

Is there anything I can do to help ya!? Im planning on taking off for September and may be October. So if you need any help at all dont hesitate to ask!! Even if its just a ride to and from the hospital, I got ya! I know you have a few big classes coming up as well for ATACSOL, I dont know your guys training layout. But if you need another hand let me know.

-Willis

Charlie, sorry to hear that this has affected you this way after all these years.

Best of luck with the surgery, and a speedy recovery bud!

As others have said I unfortunately don't have anything useful to add (NO experience in this area), but sorry to hear about the troubles Charlie! Wishing you a speedy recovery and hope that you are back and feeling 100% again soon!

Good luck. It's a pretty common operation and pretty quick for a neurosurgeon. I don't know much about recovery but I do know that fortunately it's bread and butter stuff for them.

Can you post or PM who the surgeon is? If it's at the Mayo I may know your surgeon.

The surgeon came highly recommended - Frederick F Marciano, MD. You know him?

I had a spine products company and have been in thousands of those surgeries, if you want to chat off line.

Thank you Scotty! I may take you up on that post surgery. Right now I am just trying to not think about it and getting as much accomplished as I can before Friday since I will not be able to do anything physically for a few weeks.

fcuk brother, so sorry to hear. I for see myself down this same road in a year or two if Im lucky to get that.

Is there anything I can do to help ya!? Im planning on taking off for September and may be October. So if you need any help at all dont hesitate to ask!! Even if its just a ride to and from the hospital, I got ya! I know you have a few big classes coming up as well for ATACSOL, I dont know your guys training layout. But if you need another hand let me know.

-Willis

Yeah, this could not have come at a worse time! We have literally two big OGA's coming in town for training in Sept! I have some great guys covering for me and will try to be out there but I will not be hands on which is not good. I am hoping I can be more active in October but we will see. It is a big hit for me since I am a hands on type of guy for work. I am trying to stay mentally positive but just a kick in the teeth because how active I need to be. I am also not looking forward to losing my mass/muscle and cardio. I do look forward in hanging and hopefully you are out in October because right now my Doc is telling me post surgery for three weeks to not lift anything heavier than a newspaper...WTF!!! We will definitely grab a drink when you are in town! Greatly appreciate your support and willing to help!

The surgeon came highly recommended - Frederick F Marciano, MD. You know him?

I don't know him. I wish you a good recovery. My only advice is don't over do it while you heal. It's hard for a type A like yourself, but keep telling yourself if you do t heal right it will not only ruin your chances of having the problem fixed but could make things worse.

I've had it done Charlie, L4,L5 in Houston Texas. Neurosurgeon was James Bonnen, excellent care. In my case the Canadian healthcare system delayed too long and I still have some foot drop, weak side stability in my foot. I was in unbearable sciatic pain and the surgery helped right away. Recovery was speedy, walking same day, discharged the next. Was leaps above older methods where they cut all the muscle tissue and it took 6 weeks to carry any sort of weight. You'll have to take it easy for a while tho, not to reinjure and keep stretching even after the surgery to keep lumbar, leg and ab muscles flexible. It's a fairly painless surgery so just hold tough and a speedy recovery man!

I don't know him. I wish you a good recovery. My only advice is don't over do it while you heal. It's hard for a type A like yourself, but keep telling yourself if you do t heal right it will not only ruin your chances of having the problem fixed but could make things worse.

This would be the only advice I could give. Man, I hope that you heal up quickly and truly wish you the best. Take the time to let it heal, because the problems that can arise is you don't could keep you out longer. Good luck with the surgery man, we are all rooting for you.