Tallest dam in the U.S. in Oroville California failing

Roman

How will they be able to repair this spillway? What I mean is how can they shut it down for months while they fix it? What if it rains more when they are fixing it? Or is this just the rainy season in California and you will likely be able to control the level sufficiently with the power house during the summer?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Emanon, while you're answering some questions because you seem to have some knowledge of the subject, what are the chances that the dam breaking will just wash the rest of California into the ocean completley and if the chances are minimal what can we do as concerned citizens to help increase the odds?

Emanon, while you're answering some questions because you seem to have some knowledge of the subject, what are the chances that the dam breaking will just wash the rest of California into the ocean completley and if the chances are minimal what can we do as concerned citizens to help increase the odds?

:lol2: :lol2:

How will they be able to repair this spillway? What I mean is how can they shut it down for months while they fix it? What if it rains more when they are fixing it? Or is this just the rainy season in California and you will likely be able to control the level sufficiently with the power house during the summer?

I don't know how long the river sees massive inflows (due to rain, or snowpack) so I don't have a good answer. Sometime during the summer one would think it will calm down. That will be their chance to get in there and get it prepped for the coming year. Can they rebuild the spillway in that amount of time, who knows, it's a massive project. But the tax payers will write someone a blank check and they will get it done.

The whole thing is caused by tears of 150 million liberals, so obviously it's trumps fault. As soon as he starts building the wall, their tears will make the Haitian tsunami seem like a leaky faucet. Patience my friend, the end is near. :icon_mrgreen:

What is the state doing about all the displaced fish? Are they building a fish ladder so they can swim home or are they being transported by air once the helicopters are done dumping rocks?

What is the state doing about all the displaced fish? Are they building a fish ladder so they can swim home or are they being transported by air once the helicopters are done dumping rocks?

No they are being put at the Ritz Carlton Maui indefinitely.

No they are being put at the Ritz Carlton Maui indefinitely.

And all this time, I thought fish could swim?

And all this time, I thought fish could swim?

fresh vs salt water, they are currently in a giant voss water tank

fresh vs salt water, they are currently in a giant voss water tank

I think Salamone could do some charity work here...he could have his Coy Fish massage guy come and work his magic on these displaced fishies

Im not at all experienced in that kind of high level civil design, but ill look into it and report back.

My gut feeling is its totally fine, and would have been, had the concrete remained smooth and maintained. The water, even at the 100k cfs rate was well below the top of the walls. The problem started when a small piece was compromised, started some hard core turbulence, and it's a one way ticket to total destruction.

Few things in this world are as destructive and unrelenting as gravity and water working together.

Left to their own devices, good engineers are usually on top of everything.

Bean counting and politics are what cause most of the problems with infrastructure (and product design), as we are seeing now.

This came up on my recommended videos on You Tube. Pretty crazy to see.

thats what happens when you spend billions on wasted projects and illegals instead of where it needs to go. I am currently in full exit mode. I have about a 1 year exit strategy to get out of California. 1 business already has buyers, and just need to sell another and some properties and I'm out of here.

thats what happens when you spend billions on wasted projects and illegals instead of where it needs to go. I am currently in full exit mode. I have about a 1 year exit strategy to get out of California. 1 business already has buyers, and just need to sell another and some properties and I'm out of here.

Bitch, Please...

The waterflow in the video Roman posted is about 50% of where it was earlier this week. They have the lake level down near 850ft, and this flow is needed to maintain that level.

This obviously isn't indefinitely sustainable, we'll have to see how much it starts climbing back toward the dam.

http://rdcfeeds.redding.com/lakelevels/oro.cfm

Working on getting out of this shithole too!

#CALEXIT

Working on getting out of this shithole too!

me as well however unfortunately my plan is most likely gonna take 3+ years, and im not sure i can push my time table up.

Wow. There have been tons of water rescues due to homeless encampments sleeping in the creeks during the storms overnight, even though they were warned before hand and the city opened tons over night shelters for them. Can't believe the news is covering this shit.