Ferrari in hot water ?

beatby6

Surprised this is making news now...I thought it was pretty well known for years that a lot of these high-end car dealers have factory odo-rollers. If every 1,000 miles rolled back means an added $100,000k to the sale price, that's plenty of incentive.

Not cool on their part.There is no need for this. That is what the demo cars are for.

Sorry, I must have missed the ThethetheFerrari demo car at my local dealer.

Not cool on their part.There is no need for this. That is what the demo cars are for.

What an odd thought.

As for the real world, I know Bud Root and he is one of the most personable people and honest, knowledgeable Ferrari salespeople you could ever meet. Truly great guy, they must have really jerked him around.

This odometer issue could be a really big deal.

So you would be OK with your car being used as a demo ?

First, do you know anyone that has ever needed a demo drive buying a Ferrari? Second, no one is making excuses for rolling back an odometer, demo or not.

What would be the benefit to the factory to help facilitate this? Very shady if they are doing this. Would take a few willing participants to get rid of any service or other records that would go along with any car that had mileage on it.

What would be the benefit to the factory to help facilitate this? Very shady if they are doing this. Would take a few willing participants to get rid of any service or other records that would go along with any car that had mileage on it.

Help keep the brand equity up and the dealership networks making extra cash with a very lucrative collector car market. Plus Ferrari is also one of those manufacturers that's is a bit "fuzzy" when it comes to production numbers...As in if you do some checking on VIN numbers you'll see that a lot of "limited run" cars exceeded their supposed production cap. As long as no one is looking it's a lot of extra revenue for everyone involved.

You guys are all too young to remember this, but it reminds me of Chrysler in the 70's disconnecting the odometer so the dealer folks could run errands. This sounds like big liability to me. Any attorneys care to weigh in on the legal issues?

I also know Bud.. good/trustworthy guy.

IMO the mistress caused this whole thing and now shit is hitting the fan.

this is just the beginning..

It`s like finding out that water is wet.

No surprise here, not when it comes to Ferrari.

Two things I would say,

1. I want to see the reaction of Fchat at the moment.

2. It is great to see that Ferrari keeps up it`s spirit from the good old days!

How is it getting deeper?

This is the article the link in the first post referenced.

Secondly, glaring typo in the article.

Longtime Ferrari salesman Robert 'Bud' Root, who has sold hundreds of the 'Prancing Horse' cars in Miami, Fort Lauderdale and Palm Beach over his 22-year career, is suinf Ferrari of Palm Beach, a dealership, and one of his wealthy clients.

The article has a strong whiff that "bud's team has passed the story to the Daily Mail to publish.

Could be wrong but accurate incisive investigative journalism is not the Daily Mail's strong point.

The things that make me think this are

In the lawsuit, exclusively obtained by DailyMail.com

The legal hand grenade that exposed the scandal was tossed in what originally was an age discrimination lawsuit in a Palm Beach County circuit court in November then transferred last month to the federal district court.

I am aware of a person around my area and all he does is go from dealer to dealer and roll back odometers. Used car dealers, major car dealerships. He brings his laptop and scanner and rolls it back as far as possible. Maybe 1,000 miles more than last emmisions test or documented service. Shady fucker, I do not approve of such activity.

On one hand my reaction is no shit, especially when there could be a significant value pop with lower miles. But then I think, with such a small run manufacturer and a relatively informed community they are just asking to get nailed. I mean shit, abolfaz somehow has a database of Olfactormeter readings of every fart in a lambo seat covering a 35+ year span. How could they alter the mileage and not have a previous owner recognize the car and call bullshit?

I fully expect it in hondas and such where nobody will ever recognize the car, but not something so identifiable.

I too wonder just how far you would have to go to cover such a thing up. You would essentially have to go through EVERY service record. Something someone keeps religiously documented on cars such as these? Not saying its impossible, but that would be a helluva undertaking.