LamboPower Girlfriends, Wives and Exes Megathread!

Guest skokos

With the right wife you are actually a better person and strive to be more successful. With the wrong person you are depleted and cannot escape stress.

I've been in both situations and have the right person now. I can't imagine living a day without her.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would recommend it with the following caveat. I wouldn't get married in my 20's or early 30's. I think as you age, you have more perspective, priorities change and you have a better sense of self. I married when I was 36 and have no regrets at all. My wife and I though we have our up's and down's, are a great team. Our personalities complement each other, where is she weak, I am strong and vice versa. Most of my friends are married, married later and have stayed married. The relationships I have seen fail, in almost every case you could see it coming while they were dating and it wasn't a surprise.

With the right wife you are actually a better person and strive to be more successful.

agreed.

Marriages fail because people settle, scared of being the old guy in the club, lonely or whatever else. Unless you are 100% certain you can't live without her/him, it's probably going to fail....that or you'll live out life in a marriage that lost its passion early on and be miserable. There is plenty that comes up as life goes on that if you don't enter a marriage feeling like nothing can get in the way, something will. I thought my life was great before I met my wife, now I don't understand how I lived without her.

Great thread and am very pleased with what I've read on here......certainly keeps the eternal optimist in me happy. :icon_thumleft:

I think kinnsella's advice about age is pretty good stuff as a rule of thumb, if anything in that it affords you more dating experience. I'm just blown away with what I've put up with in my early to mid 20s. Combine that with the ever evolving "self", and you can see how you're at a better position at 34 than say 24.

Also, a fair # of us have "unfinished business" which keeps pushing that age higher and higher. :icon_mrgreen:

Marriage is great with the right person. A lot of people get into the wrong marriage with the wrong people for the wrong reasons: physical attraction, sex, money, security, etc. I will say some of those do play factors in successful marriages, however, a marriage based solely on those things = fail. Truly caring and loving a person is difficult to describe, sometimes it isn't want it seems, sometimes it is. But once you find that person you love and it works out both ways, it will bring nothing but positive to your life.

As I was driving home the gym this AM, there was a fairly older couple driving together, mid 80s, and the license plate frame on the car read "Bob loves Polly."

Awwwwwwwww

For some people, it happens, others are better off alone.

On a side note, I'm not a fan of actual MARRIAGE. Church + religion. With the right person it shouldn't matter.

Marriage is what you make of it, when kids get into the picture it becomes much harder but you learn to live with some headaches it's not always roses but it's great to be able to grow old with someone, been married for 4 years and 2 kids later.

Never planned on being married, but then I found a great woman who wanted me for my money (or was that someone else who said that?), and it changed my mind.

An easy way to know if you've got the right one: if you want to try and find things to do without the person, just stay single. If they make whatever you're into more fun and enjoyable, they're the right one.

And don't forget Panamera TTs for birthdays.

Never planned on being married, but then I found a great woman who wanted me for my money (or was that someone else who said that?), and it changed my mind.

An easy way to know if you've got the right one: if you want to try and find things to do without the person, just stay single. If they make whatever you're into more fun and enjoyable, they're the right one.

And don't forget Panamera TTs for birthdays.

facebook_like_button_183.gif

It never gets old... :icon_mrgreen:

So you dont believe guys should have their guy time?

So you dont believe guys should have their guy time?

I won't speak for everyone. I just know, I feel no need for it because there's nothing I want to do that either (a)she doesn't enjoy doing or ( B ) she doesn't make more enjoyable.

I won't speak for everyone. I just know, I feel no need for it because there's nothing I want to do that either (a)she doesn't enjoy doing or ( B ) she doesn't make more enjoyable.

As long as you both are happy with that.

I'll be honest, i need my alone time with friends or even by myself. I can't function without a nice dose of it every so often.

I'll be honest, i need my alone time with friends or even by myself. I can't function without a nice dose of it every so often.

Alone time is very different; I agree.

And whatever works for you!

TMI, bro! jk

I've been with my GF for 5 years and I know she's the one but I just can't get the guts to go to the diamond store. Partially b/c I am a cheap ass but also b/c I fear commitment! Anyone else go through this?

+1....(and I don't mean fapping although nothing wrong with that)

I like a balance. We are both independent, and it's been a HUGE adjustment with me home, not working , not traveling the past year. We share lots of interests and we also like time alone, time with friends (as a couple and individually). And as health challenges surface, I've become keenly aware that maintaining outside friends is important for lots of reasons, and being independent (to a degree) is good.

I agree waiting till 30s or 40s might be good, but we married mid-twenties after dating since high school. We'll celebrate 28 years in a few months. As you age, as priorities change, as life stages change, there is always a chance of growing apart. While waiting may help because you know yourself better the older you get - it's not foolproof.

I think too many people believe in "happily ever after". That magically - rings on fingers and vows taken mean it's gonna be great. When things get tough - rather than put in the work to fix it, they bail. I know there are some who really should be divorced or never married to begin with - but I suspect a lot of marriages fail because people don't want to work at it.

It takes work every day. There are good and tough times, highs ...lows. So far, we've had some of everything, and when we work through the tough bits we are usually stronger as a team, and better as people. Communication skills are key - you HAVE to be able to listen, and talk to each other, and articulate, and BE PATIENT, and willing to compromise. It's not always easy but usually worth it.

Parents should teach kids that relationships take work, and it's an investment - with ROI being directly proportional to effort expended. To teach little girls they'll marry their "prince" who whisks them away for "happily ever after" doesn't do anyone any favors. I'm not sure what little boys need to learn - maybe to respect women as equal partners rather than to look down on the "weaker" sex....

I don't have the answers, and not having kids it's not been something I've had to tackle - but the whole fairy tale thing bugs me.

I'd recommend marriage, I'd recommend going in with the right attitude that it takes work, it's not always easy, but anything worthwhile usually requires some effort. A successful marriage is no different. And obvously not settling, and believing you've found someone you'd rather not live without is a big help. I also believe strongly you have to be happy with yourself first. If you are unhappy - no one else can fix that for you - it must be fixed from within. Thinking someone else will make you feel better about yourself is usually a recipe for failure.

I'm lucky. My parents were married almost 54 years (until my Dad's death) so I had some good role models. Same with hubby's parents.

I've been with my GF for 5 years and I know she's the one but I just can't get the guts to go to the diamond store. Partially b/c I am a cheap ass but also b/c I fear commitment! Anyone else go through this?

If you have to think about it....

Give it some time. See where it goes, maybe its still too early to tell for you.

My ideal wife will share the same view as me regarding diamonds: overpriced carbon :icon_mrgreen: