Holy blippity blip

Ascari_2

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Damn... my heart was actually pumping F...That!

I had the sweaty palms going on. My heart actually hurt while watching that...

you could NOT pay me enough to climb that.

a 1 million dollar cheque wouldn't get me to the top.

boggles my mind what some people will do for money.

I wonder why his face was blurred out.

And

He uses 2 safe lines (or whatever you call it) to stay attached to the tower right? At 6:06 he just slides one on a 'bolt', seems so unsafe.

Yes they always have safety lines. My friend says its kind of scary the first time you actually have to use that safety line.

They always have radios too so they can tell the people on the ground if they drop a tool or something. When they do everyone on the ground runs towards the tower.

I thought the narrator said that they do not use saftey lines to clip in other than to take a rest, because it would be too "unsafe" to clip and unclip on each step? Just going up and over those spots where the tower changes...holeeeee shit!

I thought the narrator said that they do not use saftey lines to clip in other than to take a rest, because it would be too "unsafe" to clip and unclip on each step? Just going up and over those spots where the tower changes...holeeeee shit!

I think you're right since in the video they just keep climbing without unhooking anything. I don't see how it would be possible to be hooked in and continue to move.

I love the lines "and now it is only 60 feet to the top" and "now comes the hard part, getting on top"....fcuking nuts.

Seriously.... I would freeze up on a sixty foot ladder all by itself..... Forget a sixty foot tube a quarter of a mile in the air. (christ.... I just thought about this and thats like climbing a six story building all by itself....)

And you know the whole damned thing must sway with every step he takes....

Also there must be several metres of horisontal movement all the time because of steel's nature to bend with wind.

BTW: anyone remember that where 2-3 guys go to top of (then unfinished) dubai tower and to mad gymnastic moves and stuff without any safety gear.

"Used to do" So you went to his funeral?

j/K, how much did he get payed?

I used to work for one of the groups in the UK who own the towers. The riggers (climbers) definitely earn their money, they end up with around £50K P.A. They know how to work the system with allowances and OT (met many of then having slept on the transmitter room floor all night and pocketed the hotel allowance).. But you wouldn't get me climbing a tower.

The danger is not in climbing and falling, it's ensuring the transmitter is off when you're climbing past antennae and it's not radiating 20Kw of RF into you at 6" away ! The tx is turned off as rigger climb past, not all antennae are on the top of the mast, and turned back on once they're above the antanna. That's where most (although there aren't many) accidents happen...

The danger is not in climbing and falling, it's ensuring the transmitter is off when you're climbing past antennae and it's not radiating 20Kw of RF into you at 6" away ! The tx is turned off as rigger climb past, not all antennae are on the top of the mast, and turned back on once they're above the antanna. That's where most (although there aren't many) accidents happen...

Yeah..... Falling would be bad too.

I just watched it again. At 6:55 I almost lost my lunch.

I sent it to RomanMom.... Her response "I had to stop watching it was making me sick."

I'd love to do that once. Not sure I'd want it as a job, but to do it once would be neat. I would definitely use the safety clip more than the guys in the video do, but I think it'd be fun to give it a go. Then again, in college I used relax by sneaking onto the roof of the dorms, sit on the edge and read a book. Besides, the first 100ft would be the hardest part.... once past that, the perception of getting higher and higher diminishes, 500ft doesn't really "feel" higher than 200ft. Well, at least to me.

As a young engineer in college I was roped into doing stack testing as an internship. It involved climbing to the top of those huge smoke stacks you see at industrial plants...on the inside of them....in temperatures exceeding 120 degF (tested from a thermocouple, humidity not included). Then I got to sit up at the top with a probe in the internal stack taking gas readings every 5 min...for 18 hours a day...

It sucked.

we have one by me up in the plains thats 2063 ft tall.... I kind of want to climb it and base jump off of it.

there have been quite a few times where i will see it poking above a cloud deck when im flying by it.