Things that make you say DAMN!

88 1/2 QV

Japanese delivered and converted to RHD, a number of cars were converted in UK, this particular one was done in Japan.

The rules used to be if you owned any type of car for three months or more while overseas providing that it was RHD factory or otherwise you could just import it drive it to department of transport with a roadworthy certificate and have it registered, same rule applies now but the time frame is 12 months.

Do you yourself have to be overseas and if so how do they prove this? Can you just buy a car and leave it in the UK for a year and then bring it in? I also know you mentioned at one point how bad the taxes were and what they did the cost of a vehicle. Do you get hammered on taxes when you register it as well?

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You must live with the car overseas, copy of your passport and various other info is required, all taxes apply so the price at least doubles, not worth on some of the older cars.

3 months was ok but who lives away 12 moths just for a car?

You must live with the car overseas, copy of your passport and various other info is required, all taxes apply so the price at least doubles, not worth on some of the older cars.

3 months was ok but who lives away 12 moths just for a car?

Sounds like a business opportunity. Some enterprising Australian should offer to live in the UK for a year and take possession of whatever car(s) the clients desire in exchange for a fee. After 12 months he returns home and sells the cars to the clients after registering them and paying the import tax.

You are out extra cash for his fee and double dipping on sales tax but you get your car 12 months after your order it. This is assuming that you have separate import and sales taxes. For instance here in Pennsylvania I would pay sales tax on the car when registering. If I bought it in state the car would be taxed at the sales tax rate of the country the purchase was made in. If I bought it out of state/private party the sales tax would be charged at my local county rate. Sub 10% either way here for me.

That means you'd have to buy a car and basically gift it to said person, trust said person to hand it back over to you at the end of 12 months when in actual fact they can legally keep your car and you couldn't do a damn thing about it. I can't think of many people I could trust with $500k of my children's inheritance.

Also buyers here HATE grey market imports, as a general rule they sell for 30% to 50% less.

The only way to get a cheap car here is to move out of here, perhaps the States :icon_mrgreen:

Let's bring it back on topic. :icon_thumleft:

There are enough Aussie bar staff in London, what would stop me getting one of them to sign a declaration to say that the car is "theirs for a year" yet the car is actually kept in a secure warehouse and they never ever actually see it, then I ship it to Aus for sale?

From HBO, Allan Sorkin's Newsroom. Good show, I liked it. Granted, it's easy to make a show about the news once the news is over. :lol2:

The show has got a left slant to it, but entertaining if you can sort through the pandering.

There are enough Aussie bar staff in London, what would stop me getting one of them to sign a declaration to say that the car is "theirs for a year" yet the car is actually kept in a secure warehouse and they never ever actually see it, then I ship it to Aus for sale?

You will need to produce a bill of sale with proof of payment, funds from their account to the vendor's.

Due to associated costs irrespective of the actual value of the car it wouldn't be worth it on cheap cars, you'd have to get something very expensive, rare or unique, think F40, Enzo, Roll's, Carrera GT, Aventador, Zonda etc. now most of those would have to be converted to RHD to be road legal that would cost a fortune and would ruin the cars, they would sell for a lot less because of the personal import/grey market stigma.

Any other car which retails sub $300k here depending on the model would leave you with a profit of approx $20k to $30k, if you have $200k in your hand and you know what you are doing you'd double it in 12 months without the risk and help of the Aussie bar staff in London.

Damn!!!

Looks like the BMW became the launch ramp for the TT. It would take some serious levels of speed to achieve that result.

It started to go in the air when it hit the bushes. The bushes has a mound of dirt and that got it stared in the air and the BMW just was able to add to the lifting effect.LOL I have no idea how the tire and rim got off of the car LOL