18 y/o on L4P bought new car

PCow

I think they are not questioning his ability to handle the car, but more so his maturity level to not do stupid things with it.

People of any age do stupid things with cars, maturity level behind the wheel does not depend on age at all.

Kid in a Mustang in Hicksillve, IA racing a buddy in a Civic is just as dangerous as Mr Arizona AMG who's now doing time for killing a person or the grandma who can barely see not stopping at red light somewhere in Boca Raton, FL.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

People of any age do stupid things with cars, maturity level behind the wheel does not depend on age at all.

Kid in a Mustang in Hicksillve, IA racing a buddy in a Civic is just as dangerous as Mr Arizona AMG who's now doing time for killing a person or the grandma who can barely see not stopping at red light somewhere in Boca Raton, FL.

True, but what does everyone 18 year old have?

They only have 18 years worth of life experience. While different for each individual, immaturity is par for the course when it comes to be 18.

If the kid can handle it, and knows what to do, then more power to him. All i know is if I was 18 with one of those cars, it probably wouldn't have ended well. Thankfully I wised up, but like Mako, it wasn't until my mid 20's.

one big problem - 18 year olds have 18 year old friends, who would love nothing more than to yell "PUNCH IT!!!!"

I too am an L4P member. I don't see why people are so distraught over an 18 year old, auto enthusiast, having nice cars. Jealousy is the only thing that comes to mind.

Nick

I too am an L4P member. I don't see why people are so distraught over an 18 year old, auto enthusiast, having nice cars. Jealousy is the only thing that comes to mind.

Nick

I'm sure there is jealousy involved with some people, that's just the nature of being human. An 18 year old with high performance cars can equal a horrible end. Especially if it's not something they worked for. Gifts are less appreciated than things one has to work for.

I'm sure there is jealousy involved with some people, that's just the nature of being human. An 18 year old with high performance cars can equal a horrible end. Especially if it's not something they worked for. Gifts are less appreciated than things one has to work for.

Well said. :iamwithstupid:

Where are the pictures of the girls brains and her dad's Porsche on the Irvine toll plaza?

Nevermind.... I found them.

nikki_catsouras_porsche_girl_car_accident_00.jpg

No big deal.

there are a lot of middle aged people who don't have common sense and lots of money.

Agreed. The road goes both ways. Unfortunately, I also agree that it is more often the younger enthusiast who more aptly displays his or her lack of common sense by doing something that results in a crash or harm.

I don't know him, but from the few posts of his that I've read, he seems a relatively level headed and mature enthusiast. Hopefully his seeming maturity has brought along with it a selection of like-minded friends who will not be egging him on to speed. Hell, I only ever succumbed to that sort of thing once during highschool in my hand-me down toyota camry. If anything, I drove more recklessly when I wasn't worried about maintaining any sort of nicer car.

Overall, I prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt until they show me that I should think otherwise. I was always appreciative when it was done for me, and I *knock on wood* so far have never been in a crash or even pulled over. For the record, I'm a younger (although a number of years older than the person in question) enthusiast that drives a sporty car (no lambo, ferrari, p-car or anything of that level, however).

Roman makes a good point. I think they should show that picture to all drivers education students. Youth are generally "stupid" and inexperienced, and in combination with "knowing everything" results in dire consequences.

The human brain isnt fully developed until the age of 22 (and in some cases as late as 25). And the part of the brain that develops LAST is the part that allows us to predict the outcome of events. Young people in a very real sense cant predict the consequences of their actions.... Which is why so many 16-22 year old people make so many HORRIBLE, LIFE ALTERING DECISIONS. They are ACTING like adults, engaging in adult behaviors and activities (driving, sex, drinking, etc) but they dont have the part of the brain that tells, in increasing clarity, a 25, 35, and 45 year old "Whoa... this aint gonna end well." They are alos a LOT MORE preoccupied with stuff that HELPS them make the WRONG DECISIONS.

Tell an 18 year old "if you do xyz, you'll be popular" they will do it, even if xyz involves a great risk to their health, safety and future, or the health safety and futures of others... Tell a 30 year old the same thing they laugh at you and tell you to go fcuk yourself.

I think the older guys in this thread REMEMBER being his age. Most of my friends TOTALED at least one of their parents cars by the time we hit 18. If I was given a 2010 Lambo or Fcar at that age, no doubt in my mind, I WOULD BE DEAD. No ifs and or buts.

Roman makes a good point. I think they should show that picture to all drivers education students. Youth are generally "stupid" and inexperienced, and in combination with "knowing everything" results in dire consequences.

Wont work. Theyve been showing teens "Red Asphalt" for 50 years and it doesnt change the basic chemistry of the teenage brain. You could take them to the morgue and make them clean up the tables after car wreck autopsies, and it still wont sink in. They will always have the attitude of "They just werent as good a driver as I am" or "sucks to be them". They will never identify with that person because theyre unable to do so mentally.

Im a dad. I can afford to spoil my son, and suspect Ill be able to do so 9 years from now when he starts driving. Aint gonna happen. Because I love him too much. He'll get a used german car, probably a BMW or Benz, 2 door- A tank. With lots of airbags and safety shit. Preferably with a 4 cylinder or low displacement six engine. And thats IT.

I think the older guys in this thread REMEMBER being his age. Most of my friends TOTALED at least one of their parents cars by the time we hit 18. If I was given a 2010 Lambo or Fcar at that age, no doubt in my mind, I WOULD BE DEAD. No ifs and or buts.

My dad told me that when i got my first car, a $4k 1985 toyota, in 1996. He said don't sweat it, you'll tear this thing to pieces in the next year and you'll be ready for something nicer.

Just being a kid, he was damn right. Not purposely tearing it up, but just doing stupid kid shit.

I can say without a doubt I would be dead if I had a car like that at his age, hell I sometimes wonder how I made it through buying a viper at 23, blind luck i suppose.

RE the picture of the dead girl. As I recall that was a lowly 996-2 cab, girl was drunk, pissed off at dad and took of in a typical teenage girl bitch tyrant fit. She misjudged that toll booth a bit and well, the cinderblock box won.

Not only should most kids not be given cars like that, but parents need to keep the keys locked away (for many other reasons as well) so stupid kids can't do stupid things.

You are so right, RomanDad. We all keep reading tragic newspaper articles regarding these "teenage invincibles" in every little corner of our country; you might as well be talking to a wall.

I crashed my first car, most of the people I know did too. Not totaled, but if I was in a lambo I could be.

Not only should most kids not be given cars like that, but parents need to keep the keys locked away (for many other reasons as well) so stupid kids can't do stupid things.

After this happened, I bought a lockbox and started locking up the keys to all my cars whenever we have babysitters in the house.

Almost every exotic crash I can think of in the OC area in the last few years have been VERY young drivers....

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010...12876a7b9f4970c

Welcome Aboard.... Feel free to chime in if you like... I cant promise you'll like what some people have to say, but I will guarantee you're treated with respect...

Welcome Aboard.... Feel free to chime in if you like... I cant promise you'll like what some people have to say, but I will guarantee you're treated with respect...

Good point. Despite what some people say, you won't find a more dedicated group (albeit a little off color) of enthusiasts.

BTW.... "SINZZ" and "whiteout"

"Haters gonna hate" and "Modders gonna mod."

You get my drift?

BTW.... "SINZZ" and "whiteout"

"Haters gonna hate" and "Modders gonna mod."

You get my drift?

I noticed that too

'the fuck, whiteout? Where's the loyalty?

I noticed that too

'the fuck, whiteout? Where's the loyalty?

There is no signed contract with forums, but I understand the loyalty argument you make.

Any and everyone is free to chose whatever forum they participate in. I even jump on L4P from time to time. Different places offer different flavors and subjects.

But, everyone has that one board where without a doubt they will call home, and for myself it's Lambo-Power, for Whiteout it's L4P. There's no problem with that. However, inciting petty discourse between boards from members is frowned upon in my book.

I believe most bad decisions young people make with respect to driving are a direct result of the influence of other young people, or alcohol.

I think that an 18 year old is very capable of driving an exotic car responsibly. If you gave the kid an SV and placed him in an environment in which he had no friends or contact with people younger than 40, I think you'd find that he'd be no more or less reckless than any adult.

However, if you place him in the high school parking lot or at a red light with a friend in the car, waiting next to a 17 year old who is revving his engine; well then I think he would act a bit differently.

I do agree with Roman (and a lot of science) that the human brain is vastly different at 18 than at 25 and then at 35. And probably still different at 80. However, I just read a thread about some 50-60 year old dude who flew a FGT backwards into a tree, so I'm more inclined to just believe people are either idiots or intelligent, careful or careless, responsible or irresponsible; and that those traits don't have a ton to do with age.

However, if you place him in the high school parking lot or at a red light with a friend in the car, waiting next to a 17 year old who is revving his engine; well then I think he would act a bit differently.

Man I remember those days. For some reason my friends and I thought it was a good idea to go bombing around in old muscle cars trying to get people to race on the highway (our justification for safety) and another group of friend going around playing tag with our cars.

Had I been in the situation where I had a luxury exotic at my disposal, I wouldn't be here today no doubt.

I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned the fact that the other car the kid has is a ZONDA R.

Actually the OP did.

Three of his current cars

-599GTO

-430 Scuderia

-Zonda R