Lotto

thecyrax

Guest Rob Burgundy

Come on! We got lucky guys on this board! Somebody show us the ticket and then show some members some Aventadors! : )

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, 56^5*46 is definitely in the billions, however I don't think you need to get them in a specific order. That lowers the odds.

How do you figure that? Each number can only be drawn once, so for each ball drawn there is one less ball for the next draw, except from the bonus ball which is drawn from a separate set.

I won $6 bsck so only down $14! Excep I'm in Europe now, by the next time I'm in the US I probably lost the tickets.

Someone in Idaho and someone in Washington had a VERY good night.....

I seriously cannot fathom what it would be like to be watching that announcement last night, only to look down and realize you are holding the winning ticket. Your life and the lives of probably ANYONE else you wanted to (friends, family members, deserving neighbors, etc) would change so instantly. To say they had a good night is an understatement. That is an absolutely RIDICULOUS amount of money. :shock: My GF and I bought a couple tickets just for fun from 3 different places in the past couple of days. The dream scenarios we were talking about (that would become realities literally overnight) had me salivating at the mouth. :)

I'd imagine it is absolutely surreal...

Guest Rob Burgundy

Should have driven a hour to the Idaho border and bought some tickets like I've done in he past. Oye. : (

Should have driven a hour to the Idaho border and bought some tickets like I've done in he past. Oye. : (

Theres always next time buddy! (just remember your good buddy lightning if ya win! ;) ) :icon_mrgreen:

I seriously cannot fathom what it would be like to be watching that announcement last night, only to look down and realize you are holding the winning ticket. Your life and the lives of probably ANYONE else you wanted to (friends, family members, deserving neighbors, etc) would change so instantly. To say they had a good night is an understatement. That is an absolutely RIDICULOUS amount of money. :shock: My GF and I bought a couple tickets just for fun from 3 different places in the past couple of days. The dream scenarios we were talking about (that would become realities literally overnight) had me salivating at the mouth. :)

I'd imagine it is absolutely surreal...

Honestly, I would help close family Mother/Father/Sister AND immediate inlaws out Father In Law/Mother in Law/Sister in Law/etc. Would not let anyone else know I won. Once 10 years or so pass, and the shock value had worn off for most, I would help those friends out who are still around, and not upset I didn't give them a hand out because I won the lottery.

Most people lose it all due to giving EVERYONE money as soon as they win. Cousins, Aunts, Uncles, Nieces, Nephew's, long lost 3rd cousins, friends, those who you had class with in 3rd grade, etc.

Would have nice things, but live somewhat modestly other than my toys of course. Would like to give my future children and grandchildren something to live on for the rest of their lives as well, but I wouldn't let them know how much it was until I was sure they are grounded and know the value of a dollar.

Funny thing is I asked one of my wife's retarded guy friends from High School what he would do if he won. He answered-I would buy a Honda S2000 and an Acura NSX. LOL.

This of course is as likely to happen as me farting and causing a nuclear explosion, but it is nice to daydream from time to time

Honestly, I would help close family Mother/Father/Sister AND immediate inlaws out Father In Law/Mother in Law/Sister in Law/etc. Would not let anyone else know I won. Once 10 years or so pass, and the shock value had worn off for most, I would help those friends out who are still around, and not upset I didn't give them a hand out because I won the lottery.

Most people lose it all due to giving EVERYONE money as soon as they win. Cousins, Aunts, Uncles, Nieces, Nephew's, long lost 3rd cousins, friends, those who you had class with in 3rd grade, etc.

Would have nice things, but live somewhat modestly other than my toys of course. Would like to give my future children and grandchildren something to live on for the rest of their lives as well, but I wouldn't let them know how much it was until I was sure they are grounded and know the value of a dollar.

Funny thing is I asked one of my wife's retarded guy friends from High School what he would do if he won. He answered-I would buy a Honda S2000 and an Acura NSX. LOL.

This of course is as likely to happen as me farting and causing a nuclear explosion, but it is nice to daydream from time to time

While it is nice idea to help out people close to you, if you do that, you would be fucked. The idea is to don't let anyone know you won, may be not even your wife, for a good amount of time. Say you won $10000 at the office pool or something similar to justify some expenses until you can think of how you can break it down to her and change lifestyle without EVERYONE showing up at your door. There are people who will not automatically ask you for cash when they find out you won, but even they might question themselves once or twice.

If I'm at the store picking up a drink and I only have a dollar or two left after change I'll pick up a Powerball or Mega Millions. I've only won like $27 though off a $1 ticket. I also won a $60 prize off a $2 scratch off, but dumbass me let the ticket sit and sit and sit. I found out the hard way that you can't cash in a ticket if the game is no longer being sold. :-(

Im 100% with you. Hence you hire lawyers, and have them accept the winnings representing you anonamously. Every once in a while you hear that happen. A 50mil Ohio lottery ticket was sold at the store down on UC's campus a few years back. Nobody claimed it for like a week. Then out of no where a team of lawyers showed up and claimed the prize. The winner was obviously a student (no one who lives within miles of Univ of Cincy's cabinets would be smart enough to do such a thing). But first family, college trusts for the nieces and nephews, then maybe a small gift for the close friends. Anyone who got bitter for not getting a hand out can go F themselves. You dont need them. Anyone who asked where the money came from would be told its family money or something.

"We" won semi recently. I'll tell you winning it and getting the money is the hardest part. If you have a decent attorney you use in business before hand that you trust, it makes things a lot easier. "We" we able to claim, go to home office, and be done with our side in about 3 days. After that it was dealing with the IRS, hedging with charitable causes (do not think I'm saying that I donated because we won and wanted to offset a bit, it is something we have always done). Like someone said earlier, your best bet is to take a lump sum and let your advisors make the same gains and more than would be made by the annuity. Plus, they tell you up front that if you decide to sell your winnings to a company for a lump sum (there is one in London that they recommend as the transaction is instant) that people will give you literally pennies on the dollar. Some were shown selling their annuity for .09cents - .11cents on the dollar for modest amounts like 15-25 mill. That is a huge hair cut imho.

I still play every day as it is something that I do with a friend as a hobby. When our numbers were plucked we actually went in with specifics for the ticket clerk. We said 'ten full tickets, good for 4 draws, picks' and handed the cards in. Clerk was a bit frazzled and printed 2 tickets without even looking at my card. I knew what was going on and asked what she was doing. She apologized and was about to throw the tickets away and I told her I would take them. You can take a wild guess which ticket bought papa some new shoes..... (Always a crazy story attached eh? This one is true however!)

The process that Brian is talking about is fairly accurate. He's not saying you multiply the winnings by 11, just that 1.75b you buy in tickets is then added to the pot. Technically he is correct. But that's such a far fetched scenario it really is odd even discussing it.

I think the less you hope for it, the more likely you will get it. If and when it happens, sign the ticket, find an attorney immediately, and claim it anon via a business or trust. I assure you, you will be happy to not get 400,000 letters from people all over the world asking for you to help with their electric bills. More so for me because I want to help everyone I can I know I can't.

Best

"We" won semi recently. I'll tell you winning it and getting the money is the hardest part. If you have a decent attorney you use in business before hand that you trust, it makes things a lot easier. "We" we able to claim, go to home office, and be done with our side in about 3 days. After that it was dealing with the IRS, hedging with charitable causes (do not think I'm saying that I donated because we won and wanted to offset a bit, it is something we have always done). Like someone said earlier, your best bet is to take a lump sum and let your advisors make the same gains and more than would be made by the annuity. Plus, they tell you up front that if you decide to sell your winnings to a company for a lump sum (there is one in London that they recommend as the transaction is instant) that people will give you literally pennies on the dollar. Some were shown selling their annuity for .09cents - .11cents on the dollar for modest amounts like 15-25 mill. That is a huge hair cut imho.

I still play every day as it is something that I do with a friend as a hobby. When our numbers were plucked we actually went in with specifics for the ticket clerk. We said 'ten full tickets, good for 4 draws, picks' and handed the cards in. Clerk was a bit frazzled and printed 2 tickets without even looking at my card. I knew what was going on and asked what she was doing. She apologized and was about to throw the tickets away and I told her I would take them. You can take a wild guess which ticket bought papa some new shoes..... (Always a crazy story attached eh? This one is true however!)

The process that Brian is talking about is fairly accurate. He's not saying you multiply the winnings by 11, just that 1.75b you buy in tickets is then added to the pot. Technically he is correct. But that's such a far fetched scenario it really is odd even discussing it.

I think the less you hope for it, the more likely you will get it. If and when it happens, sign the ticket, find an attorney immediately, and claim it anon via a business or trust. I assure you, you will be happy to not get 400,000 letters from people all over the world asking for you to help with their electric bills. More so for me because I want to help everyone I can I know I can't.

Best

PCow,

Awesome story! :icon_super: I too always make sure to buy the "extra" ticket if there is a typo or I see someone in front of me refuse a printed ticket. Ya just never know.

Would you mind sharing how much (ball-park) you won? :) Was this win life-changing for you guys?

Always great to hear about someone winning, I just wish it would happen to me! :lol2:

All the best.

I won enough to help others and to take care of my family. A good portion went to the diabetes cause as my wife is type 1 insulin dependent and wears a medtronic pump and it has changed her life. To know that our family, and millions of others of people donating, were able to help young kids get this technology is reward enough for us. It really has increased the value of our short time here on earth!

Best

I won enough to help others and to take care of my family. A good portion went to the diabetes cause as my wife is type 1 insulin dependent and wears a medtronic pump and it has changed her life. To know that our family, and millions of others of people donating, were able to help young kids get this technology is reward enough for us. It really has increased the value of our short time here on earth!

Best

:icon_super: :icon_super: :icon_super: :icon_super:

That is awesome. :) Best wishes to you guys.

Best

:icon_thumleft:

Would not let anyone else know I won. Once 10 years or so pass, and the shock value had worn off for most, I would help those friends out who are still around, and not upset I didn't give them a hand out because I won the lottery.

While I agree with your thought process on this I do not think it would be possible to do.

Isn't it part of the agreement that upon winning you must sign release documents so the lotto can hype up the moment with photo sessions and future advertisements? Maybe that is just for the real big payouts and not the smaller ones.

While I agree with your thought process on this I do not think it would be possible to do.

Isn't it part of the agreement that upon winning you must sign release documents so the lotto can hype up the moment with photo sessions and future advertisements? Maybe that is just for the real big payouts and not the smaller ones.

That is indeed part of the contract. They have the right to use your photos and name for the entirety of the life of Powerball. I'm talking billboards, radio ads that you record, everything. However, there are certain safety nets against that you can put in place prior to claiming. That's why I suggest to always either have an attorney you use that you trust on speed dial, or do research just in case shear luck lays with you one Wednesday or Saturday.

Best

Well, the guy in Idaho isn't gonna be able to hide it even if he sets up a blind trust. If he wants to enjoy his money, he's gonna spend it on toys and a big house. So if you see a new Veyron there, you'll know who the winner was.

The only way to hide wealth is to live like you're not wealthy.

Not true. If you any business acumen then it is very easy to start up a business (or a few) that are easy money makers to separate you and your money. Or at least provide a little misdirection to those that want to be in your business.

Also, you could decide to not buy 30k beds, 100 inch TV's, and own opulentitems.com like another past member of LP too! That just avoid a little unwanted attention.

In all seriousness, it is tough. That is why they have a show called "The lottery ruined my life", which should actually be called "I made shitty uninformed decisions and blame it on the money spending itself". I do feel a bit worried for those people who hit the mega pots but have no idea of how to manage the money they currently make. The world of wealth can be damning in and of itself, much less not knowing what to do next and who is worthy of their help. That is a lot of responsibility and sometimes has a mind of its own.

Best

If I won the big lotto, I would pay off a few debts, set up a retirement fund for my parents and grandma and sister, buy a decent house in a decent neighborhood (nothing very expensive right now), buy a brand-new, but decent vehicle, and then set to work to turn the few hundred million I had come away with into billions :)

I would do this via starting various businesses I have in mind. I have all sorts of billion-dollar business ideas (provided I execute them correctly), just I need capital to get them going.