Lotto

thecyrax

I was wondering if anyone on here plays their state lottery at all?

I've never purchased a ticket in my life simply because i know the odds and I feel like it is a huge waste of $.

The thing that has me thinking about it is I have a few friends who are pooling a grand or two and buying a bunch for the Tx megamillions drawing on tuesday ($290 million or so).

Does anyone do this? Have you ever won a single decent prize?

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You could purchase 10,000 tickets, and the odds will still be higher that you'll die in an automobile accident by the end of 2011 (either as a driver or passenger).

You'd have to go to around 20,000 tickets to just equal your auto-death odds, depending upon what the final ticket-sellthrough is. :icon_mrgreen:

Bottom line: Sucker's game.

To answer your original Q: I knew a co-worker who won a $200k prize in 1992. That's it, that's the list. No one else I've known since, all that time and all those people, has ever won anything above a couple hundred bucks.

Haha yeah I'm very familiar with how absurd the odds are. I doubt I'll be purchasing any, i was just curious to hear any cool stories some of the board members may have.

Odds that any of us will die in an automobile, not during just one single year (about 1 in 12,000) but over the entire course of our lives (adjusted to 80 year lifespan):

1 in 158.

:eusa_dance:

California's mega millions pot is also 290. Is that a coincidence?

Megamillions is a national lottery. It is not offered in every state, but it is in most. It is the same game whether you are in California, New York, etc.

I play just for the hell of it when the stakes go very high. It is definitely the longest of shots, but someone eventually has to win it somewhere, so why not give it a shot. The downside is a couple of dollars once in a while.

I for one know a few people who have hit the lotto for varying amounts, including a guy who hit for $35 Million.

I personally know the guy that won the 245 million dollar powerball. One winner, he got the lump and I think that was 110mm payout after taxes. Coolest guy too.

Of course it's all about luck but stuff like this is amazing

''A really lucky person who won the lottery twice, the second time during a reenactment of the first time.''

I gotta go to the store anyways today I will pick up a ticket. If I win I will buy someone on LP a LP700 lol.

I gotta go to the store anyways today I will pick up a ticket. If I win I will buy someone on LP a LP700 lol.

Ship me the LP for the inspiration to buy it? :lol2:

I play just for the hell of it when the stakes go very high. It is definitely the longest of shots, but someone eventually has to win it somewhere, so why not give it a shot. The downside is a couple of dollars once in a while.

Same here. Why not every once in awhile. I usually just forget that its that high and dont buy anyway because I dont pay attention.

There was a guy(23 or 24 years old) locally here that won a Powerball jackpot of over $100 million. He was dead broke and living in a crappy trailer with his family. He bought one ticket and won the jackpot. Good thing he won, he was able to pay off all his debts and start his dream business. I havent heard how that is going though.

Same here. Why not every once in awhile. I usually just forget that its that high and dont buy anyway because I dont pay attention.

There was a guy(23 or 24 years old) locally here that won a Powerball jackpot of over $100 million. He was dead broke and living in a crappy trailer with his family. He bought one ticket and won the jackpot. Good thing he won, he was able to pay off all his debts and start his dream business. I havent heard how that is going though.

Sounds like a recipe for disaster, but I love hearing about the ones that end up happy and are responsible with the $$.

My sentiments exactly.

Sounds like a recipe for disaster, but I love hearing about the ones that end up happy and are responsible with the $$.

I agree, Im sure he will be broke again, but for now at least he is doing well.

I can't remember where I heard this.

If you play $ 50.00 a day your chances of winning are once every 50,000 years.

Know someone who won around 2 mil, gave his parents money for a new place, bought himself and his girl a car, new place, put the rest in the bank and still works the job he had prior.

Best conversation I ever heard about the lottery occurred with two of my friends.

One friend had just won 20 dollars off of the only lottery ticket he ever purchased in his life.

Friend 1 "Sweet, I just won 20 bucks!"

Friend 2 "No you didn't dude. The lottery is a losers game, you still lost more money than you paid"

Friend 1 "Uhh dude, I spent 5 dollars and won 20"

Friend 2 " NO YOU DIDN'T. The state won't lose money. You lost money! It's a losers game! Only a small amount of people win!"

Rinse and repeat for 15 minutes. :lol2:

Best conversation I ever heard about the lottery occurred with two of my friends.

One friend had just won 20 dollars off of the only lottery ticket he ever purchased in his life.

Friend 1 "Sweet, I just won 20 bucks!"

Friend 2 "No you didn't dude. The lottery is a losers game, you still lost more money than you paid"

Friend 1 "Uhh dude, I spent 5 dollars and won 20"

Friend 2 " NO YOU DIDN'T. The state won't lose money. You lost money! It's a losers game! Only a small amount of people win!"

Rinse and repeat for 15 minutes. :lol2:

Over the course of my gambling years, I am still up as well. Not by a lot, but it's nice to be on the + side.