The "Ive got no choice... I have to bitch about Obamacare" thread

Roman

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was watching my local news the other day and they said that 250k are losing their health insurance in my state. What a f'ng cluster!

I was watching my local news the other day and they said that 250k are losing their health insurance in my state. What a f'ng cluster!

With in days of it going live anthem sent us a letter stating they would not be renewing out small group plan.

BCBS killed our plan as well. Thankfully I took a new job and got coverage there. This is a nightmare, truly it is a nightmare.

My dad owns his own business so I am able to stay on their health insurance. He covers himself, my mom, my brother and me. We have BlueCross/BlueShield and we got a noticed saying we will be going from $1400/month to $4000/MONTH!!!! Needless to say, looking elsewhere now.

Work for a fortune 50. They no longer have insurance through the company and put us on an internal exchange with a few other companies.

I had BCBS and my plan for a single person doubled if I wanted to keep bcbs

Luckily, United stepped up and had the same price I used to pay so I switched providers.

I am not complaining, just providing an example. Health care is crazy

I'm still trying to figure out what the hell the goal was in all of this? I thought initially, when this shit first came up, they were trying for "universal HEALTH CARE", similar to an Indian Health Service or Veterans Administration Hospital/clinic. In other words, you get sick, just go to the IHS hospital or VA hospital and see a doctor. No bill for the folks who use this system. Then I realized they were going for "universal HEALTH COVERAGE", i.e. you must have insurance to pay your medical bills whether you want health insurance or not. Why?

If everyone wants to be able to afford to go to the doctor, then cut out the idea of insurance all together, and just create a federal health system like IHS and or the VA that anyone can go to (Not just Native Americans of Veterans). If you dont want to go to one of these types of places, then purchase health care at a "private" facility and PAY for it, or PAY some type of insurance, If you want, to make access to one of these places more accessible/affordable. But oh shit, isn't that what we already had?

So, why did they elect to do this? Its not to have universal health care for everyone or they could have just done that. What was the underlying idea behind this colossal fuckup?

I'm still trying to figure out what the hell the goal was in all of this? I thought initially, when this shit first came up, they were trying for "universal HEALTH CARE", similar to an Indian Health Service or Veterans Administration Hospital/clinic. In other words, you get sick, just go to the IHS hospital or VA hospital and see a doctor. No bill for the folks who use this system. Then I realized they were going for "universal HEALTH COVERAGE", i.e. you must have insurance to pay your medical bills whether you want health insurance or not. Why?

If everyone wants to be able to afford to go to the doctor, then cut out the idea of insurance all together, and just create a federal health system like IHS and or the VA that anyone can go to (Not just Native Americans of Veterans). If you dont want to go to one of these types of places, then purchase health care at a "private" facility and PAY for it, or PAY some type of insurance, If you want, to make access to one of these places more accessible/affordable. But oh shit, isn't that what we already had?

So, why did they elect to do this? Its not to have universal health care for everyone or they could have just done that. What was the underlying idea behind this colossal fuckup?

To kill this in 2 years and push universal. This is the stepping stone. Chaos and inflated health cost will drive the masses to be in favor of anything that seems better than that for which they're about to be stuck.

What was the underlying idea behind this colossal fuckup?

The idea? Not sure.. The cause=An under-qualified,inexperienced amateur with no fcuking clue with what he's doing who sways in the wind, knowingly lies and has more strings attached to him then a dancing marionette puppet.

I read about one person who commented that the U.S. was able to ramp up war production and start producing tanks, ships, planes, guns, ammunition, Jeeps, trucks, bombs, etc...and plan out and conduct multiple major battles and war operations, all within the time span that the O administration has been unable to get a website up and running.

To kill this in 2 years and push universal. This is the stepping stone. Chaos and inflated health cost will drive the masses to be in favor of anything that seems better than that for which they're about to be stuck.

Unfortunately, this is the end goal. It's going to cost taxpayers an arm and a leg

The initial plan was universal healtcare. And they started running that ball down the field... For about 6 months. And then they realized they didnt have the votes... Even with a filibuster proof majority in the senate and a supermajority in the house. But the administration had spent a great deal of political capital on the issue and wanted to get SOMETHING... ANYTHING! They didnt really care what. It was about saving face and not crippling the administration right out of the box (in hindsight, pushing forward with it crippled the administration more than anything could have)

So they went to the John Edwards plan.... Which was the individual mandate... And even it had less than 50% support among the people, so it took a lot of back room deals and arm twisting, and procedural back flips, and "we have to pass the bill to see whats in the bill". The plan was to break private insurance. Because they had just taken the House in two consecutive landslide elections, and historically, it takes DECADES for power to flip in the house. (The last time there was a power flip in the house was 1994... And before that it was 1952.) And they thought that if they broke private health insurance they would be able to quickly and easily pass what they wanted in the ensuing crisis....Nobody predicted the Tea Party and 2010 election.

They timed it all to come down after the President was a lame duck... So it couldnt do him any political harm... And now here we are... A frankensteined bill that everybody hates, that does the opposite of what it was sold to the people as doing. It makes insurance exponentially more expensive, and creates millions more uninsured... Sure, nobody can be "denied" coverage, but nobody can afford coverage whether theye healthy or not.

Your parents can keep you on their insurance until youre 26, if they want to spend your college fund on it.

So... What was the problem? "Thirty million uninsured Americans." But of course MOST of those thirty million uninsured were young healthy people who didnt visit the doctor who could easily afford insurance, but would rather spend that $200/ month on other stuff.... They didnt need insurance, so they didnt buy insurance... "But they are one illness away from bankruptcy" like thats the end of the world...

Now we're exploding that number, to include families w2ho HAD insurance, NEED insurance, and are now losing it... Government at its best.

The easy answer as others are saying is the "one payer system", but if you dig deeper, and it doesn't take much, you'll see it could be for far more nefarious reasons.

Given the shitstorm this has turned into, any predictions as to where things go from here?

Does Obama semi-admit defeat (without really admitting defeat) and unwind parts of it?

Does a Republican win the White House and unwind it? (Can it even BE unwound?)

Does Hillary win the White House and continue it?

Does Hillary win the White House and somehow parlay this into a single-payer universal coverage model?

(I seriously doubt, realistically, that the Republicans have a snowball's chance in hell of winning the White House, but I could be mistaken.)

Given the shitstorm this has turned into, any predictions as to where things go from here?

Does Obama semi-admit defeat (without really admitting defeat) and unwind parts of it?

Unlikely, but not unheard of. I speculate he'll defer blame to the opposition and use it as a message of "see, this is why you should just listen to me and let me handle it." Despite the obvious lies and manipulation. He'll blame "How things operate in Washington" and perhaps suggest a "way around it" with the single payer or something else he's got cooking up.

The messiah complex is strong with this one, so admitting defeat isn't right. "Mistakes" he'll dilute and take on the lightest amount of responsibility with the biggest public appearance.

Does a Republican win the White House and unwind it? (Can it even BE unwound?)

The Republicans are killing their own chances of victory by focusing their frustration and anger towards their own party members (granted many of the established republican party are only republican in name *cough* John McCain *cough* And want to play the progressive card. Again, their tactic is to dilute to be non-offensive and try and get as many votes. It didn't work in 2008, didn't work in 2012. Won't work in 2016.

Does Hillary win the White House and continue it?

Two options:

1. No. Benghazi is too big of a liability and despite the establishment keeping her quite and everything under blankets for a while, their is a big enough push from the outlying Republicans the bring enough information and troubling data to light to keep it relevant and her away from the Oval office.

2. Democrats play up the "elect a woman" card with the "She's Clinton kicker" and push hard on that and play that any dirt against her is a sexist and resistant to change from the Republicans party.

Does Hillary win the White House and somehow parlay this into a single-payer universal coverage model?

Predicated on the fact she wins, there is no lover between her and Barry, so to carry on his "legacy" would be highly unlikely. If the SPS doesn't get through when BO is in office, it could be a play for her to make it a "landmark" victory and point for her administration.

(I seriously doubt, realistically, that the Republicans have a snowball's chance in hell of winning the White House, but I could be mistaken.)

IF, they embrace the disenfranchised voters (see minorities, women and LBGTQ) and the growing third party base they would win. It just depends if they are willing to change and get back to the roots of limited government and fiscal responsibility (which most Republicans lack due to the Permanent Political Party system set up in D.C.)

Am I off my rocker to think the Republicans might get a good swing in 16? Based solely on the dems fcuking this up so bad, their loyal followers will vote with their wallets?

This plan will be two years running by the time the elections come around, and if a good portion of the voting base is slapped with premiums several thousand dollars higher per year, they might vote for ANYONE other than the party behind that tab.

Rand Paul 2016 (I can dream anyway)

I just got the news at my Job about the bullshit that you need to buy insurance or else....

I Can't wait to see how this fucks up our economy next year. Not many people will be able to afford it. It will have to be repealed or something... Hopefully it doesn't last long. :(

My premiums started increasing by 20-30% every six months since Obamacare started to gel. I'm a 25 year-old guy paying over $300/month now, no end to the increases in sight. (To be fair, I had a rather expensive neurosurgery in 2008!) Luckily I have excellent coverage with reasonable deductibles and complete coverage beyond them. I'm kind of stuck with it and Anthem knows it. Fingers crossed it starts to level off…

On another note, we're trying to bring in some benefits for our employees at my growing company and it's absolutely impossible to understand the insurance landscape right now. Nobody knows what the hell is going to happen. You can't use the new system but you can't NOT use it either. It's ridiculous. They're crippling small businesses with this crap.

Am I off my rocker to think the Republicans might get a good swing in 16? Based solely on the dems fcuking this up so bad, their loyal followers will vote with their wallets?

This plan will be two years running by the time the elections come around, and if a good portion of the voting base is slapped with premiums several thousand dollars higher per year, they might vote for ANYONE other than the party behind that tab.

Rand Paul 2016 (I can dream anyway)

If the GOP can promote a solid message with no batshit attached to it (Jon Huntsman comes to mind), then yes. But not with Rand Paul, even moderates in the party don't want tea with their breakfast.

If the GOP can promote a solid message with no batshit attached to it (Jon Huntsman comes to mind), then yes. But not with Rand Paul, even moderates in the party don't want tea with their breakfast.

Agreed, but I don't think they're anywhere *near* being willing to promote a solid message, drop the batshit wing of the party and nominate a smart adult like that. I just don't see it happening.

As for how this healthcare debacle plays out in any or all cases though . . . I'm just shaking my head as to what can or will be done.

It will only get worse, as they have now started to get revenue from taxes on Dividends, Royalties, Cap gains and income over (I think 200k) I see no going back, if it was repealed or changed this "Tax" would not be collected and we all know how they love to give the "evil rich" something back. All I see is the tax getting worse and premiums going up and service going down as more shit hits the fan, this of course is if you are in the class where you actually pay something into the system.

To sum it up, I now pay a shit load more for less.

I have health insurance from BCBS's worldwide program. It basically covers me anywhere in the world. For coverage everywhere except the US it would have been around 4x cheaper.