A collection vs. the best

Falken

Collection vs. the best  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you choose...a collection of supercars...or the best car you can have?

• Collection
    • The Best

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. At the moment i have my GTS...but i'm starting to look around at Diablo 6.0's. I have always intended to build a car collection of cars that i think are truely special automobiles (jay leno style)...so i had planned to keep my Viper, add a diablo 6.0, then maybe a FGT, SLR, some vintage ferrari, etc, etc until i built a large collection of exotic/supercars.

But then i realized that for the combined price of my viper and the diablo 6.0 i could probably swing into a LP640...and i wondered in reality what would make me happier...having the viper and the 6.0...or just having the LP640. Which made me start to wonder about the whole collection thing. would they just collect dust? would i only end up driving my favorite one? would i take as much pride in having a collection as i would in just having the vary best car i could buy?

So on a larger scale...would you rather have a collection of 4,5,6 cars adding up to $1 million...or would you rather have just one car worth $1 million (Veyron, zonda, koenigsegg)?

(if this should be in off topic go right ahead and punt it there)

i would probably choose the collection and simply save for the next car that you really like. you'll get there but it may just take time. its hard to let go of a vehicle that has given you so much joy and you really like to keep. so far, i have the Murcie, Exige S, GTR P800, 993 Turbo, and some DDs. I plan to keep the 4 sportscars and simply add to them slowly as the funds allow me. i'm still eyeing for a 512TR, E500 (W124), and an old MB 600 Grand, while the only new car i want to try is a McLaren. oh well, someday we'll get there. good luck on your search

I agree with most, collection is they way to go, although a new supper car would be thrilling in time the awe will ware off. I find myself constantly looking at many exotics and truly liking them all in there own special way, so If you could own 5 instead of one or two I think then your satisfaction would be more fulfilled.

Need variety.

There is no ONE car in the WORLD that is the absolute best at everything it does.

Name any car and I will tell you its flaws. :icon_mrgreen:

You put a few nice cars together and you'll cover your bases.

Need variety.

There is no ONE car in the WORLD that is the absolute best at everything it does.

Name any car and I will tell you its flaws. :icon_mrgreen:

You put a few nice cars together and you'll cover your bases.

Veyron GS or SS

Koegnigsegg Agera

Pagani Zonda Cinque

but ofcourse none of them are under 1m but there is a way of finding just one. But i guess if you money to drop on just one of these, you will money to have a small 200-300k worth car collection too :)

I say collection, but not Jay Leno Style. 4-5 cars would be plenty. I would need some variety.

If I had a Zonda and my VW I'd be a happy camper. But who wouldn't? It depends on what you want. If you need variety, and can't stand one car - have a few different cars. I can see how that would be advantageous. Go drive one and I think you'll know.

It is really easy to click the " collection" button....until you have to pay for insurance for all those vehicles......

Variety, I'd go with the collection of high quality stuff over one higher quality item. You want it for you and you don't want to look back with regrets about selling your previous cars just to upgrade, because regardless of how pointless it is, you're going to have some kind of attachment to the Viper. Sure it's bad to have that financially, but if we cared so much about that, would most people here be Twin Turboing and buying multiple Lamborghinis?

That being said, as Scotty mentioned, you'll have to take account insurance, gas and other items that could change on you. If you can still do the collection despite all those costs, then you're actually in a debate, otherwise you have to stay with what you're comfortable in...

Sure the Agera, Veyron, Zonda are great cars, but I know how I am and I would get bored at some point, so I would prefer to keep a collection I cycle through.

What would be the insurance difference on an LP640 VS Viper + Diablo? Wasn't there a thread about how someone's insurance went up when they got rid of two of their cars for one? Something about more miles on the single over the two...insurance may balance out if that's the case since you could say that you would be driving the Viper and Diablo less since you would be jumping between the two.

It is really easy to click the " collection" button....until you have to pay for insurance for all those vehicles......

Not if you have my insurance company!

Definitely a collection. Yeah, it would be cool to say I own a Veyron, Pagani, or Koenigsegg, but I'd rather have the variety of a few different types of cars for the same amount of money. This way there is less likelyhood of getting bored with any one car, and you can get more use out of your cars. I don't mind leaving any of my cars to the valet, or parking it on the street in the city when going out to dinner, but I couldn't imagine doing that with a Veyron.

I'm curious how many Veyrons and Paganis are owned by the super car collectors, like the ones who collect vintage Ferraris, Ford GT40s, Shelby Cobras, Cudas, etc. that go for $1+ million a pop....

I feel that 99% of car guys are curious and would like a taste of the Veyron, but long term ownership would be a totally different story I think.

Depends really.

If you have a few mill on your hands then yea I'd buy 4-5 supercars (LP640, 458, FGT, SLR etc) rather than lets say a Veyron. I'd rather have 4-5 really good supercars instead of just "the ultimate supercar"

BUT

If all you have is 250K then I'd rather buy the best car 250K could get me (LP640) rather than buying a collection of cheap cars (355, 360, GTS, Plastic mess-06)

Collection!

When the sun is shinning you grab the cabrio/roadster. When it is date night you grab the luxury ride. When it is boys night out you hop in the exotic. When you had a bad day and you just don't give a fcuk you grab the obnoxious car.