Advice on best IPod ear phones please...

deekss

Chaps I need a recommendation on best IPod earphones. I use my IPod whilst travelling, and have got through several sets of stock earphones as they're so flimsy. Can anyone recommend some more robust, and good sounding replacements ? I tend to screw them up and put in my jacket pocket, so large on ear headphones no good for me... Any tips, advice, recommendations, avoids, stories, experiences gratefully received.

Been a Bose in ear kinda guy for years now, and love em

The best is Ultimate Ears 18's. You need to get your ears molded first. There is no comparison.

For off the shelf, I like the Monster / Dr Dre product. It has a bass boost, but still keeps clarity. Very good product. FYI, I listen to rock, motown, blues, jazz, and no rap / hip hop. So, I am not a bass lover hip hop or club guy.

Personally, I feel these are all hype and very little substance.

They are hyped... but what do you mean by substance? The amplifier in the ipod is very mediocre. The original poster wants earbuds for iPhone / iPod use, which is for fun, not critical listening.

For the ultimate in balanced listening:

http://ultimateears.com/en-us/products/18-pro

That was my first recommendation. I went for the best there is and then something that sounds good paired with an apple device that is a good deal.

They are hyped... but what do you mean by substance? The amplifier in the ipod is very mediocre. The original poster wants earbuds for iPhone / iPod use, which is for fun, not critical listening.

For the ultimate in balanced listening:

http://ultimateears.com/en-us/products/18-pro

That was my first recommendation. I went for the best there is and then something that sounds good paired with an apple device that is a good deal.

Monster and Bose are known as being some of the best hyped worst products in the audio world.

I use Klipsch solely on the fact it recieved the most and best reviews. I have the one with the mic for iphone even though I don't use a iphone. They are perfect, not too big and they do not hurt your ear over long length of time like other brands. Fidelity is well balanced, no over powering bass and crisp highs.

Check out the http://www.head-fi.org/ forums.

You'll want to decide on "earphones" vs in-ear monitors. After I tried my first pair of in-ear monitors I would never go back to the conventional earbud/earphones.

This is what I use now mostly b/c they are dirt cheap and I tend to go through a lot of 'phones. http://www.amazon.com/Soundmagic-PL30-In-E...s/dp/B001MQ3CCO

Not to derail but for big headphones I like my sennheisers way more than my beats.

Where does sennheisers rank, because that's what I had and was going to recommend. I have a pair for my ipod were like a hundred bucks work great.

They are very good once you have them fitted right. Switching about getting comfy with the foams can make your ears feel like Hulk Hogan has been trying to insert a tree trunk into your ear holes. Plus, again as good as they are I would not like them in my ear for a 6 hour flight.

Personally I go through headphones like it is going out of style. I was going to recommend these here which are great at the gym but I broke them today

For your Deekss situation I would go for these here for general use and then when settled on the long flights for a good set of big cans (and I am not referring to the hostess) but some form of folding cans Like so.

I like the bose headphones which cancel the noise, I know they aren't little (still small for full headphones) but they are so good. I liked them better than the Dre beats, because the music is so much better/clearer/fuller in sound.

Vyce do you think Dre beats are overhyped? They only sell so well because it's from Dr Dre and every athlete/celeb has them.

Vyce do you think Dre beats are overhyped? They only sell so well because it's from Dr Dre and every athlete/celeb has them.

Absolutely. For years Monster has been known for creating an average product and selling said product at crazy prices.

Monster is king of the $75 HDMI cable that you can get at Monoprice for $6.

:iamwithstupid:

I have these very earphones (without the remote) and for the price and setup, they're very good IMO. It wasn't until I heard a Shure earphone that I could believe you could get legitimate bass, but you definitely can.

You can spend 2-4 times more for some of the more expensive ones, but doubt it would be worth it. I have heard them and they are nice...if money is not an issue you shouldn't have a problem with any of them.

Agree with Capt. that these aren't the most comfortable things in the world, but they're not so bad either.

Personally, I feel these are all hype and very little substance.

:iamwithstupid:

In their defense, having a built in amplifier in a portable situation is nice.....but I still don't think it's the best product in its class. I get turned off by this type of marketing.

And this isn't so much a shot at Dr. Dre, Diddy, etc....but even a guy like Quincy Jones whose music was very well recorded and whose ear I trust, tagged up with a mediocre company a year or so ago.

Truth be told, a sound that appeals to the masses is just too bright (too much treble) and boomy (too much deep bass) for a serious enthusiast. A true "audiophile" sound doesn't "jump" out at you, especially if you're not into this stuff...it may take 15-30 minutes to settle in and appreciate a better product. Which regular customer has time for that?

Where does sennheisers rank, because that's what I had and was going to recommend. I have a pair for my ipod were like a hundred bucks work great.

Don't know about sennheisers for earphones, but they make very nice headphones. They might be a little too laid back or soft for some people, or not efficient (loud) enough without an amplifier, but an HD580/600/650 with a nice amp is very, very nice sounding.

A lot of interesting brands mentioned in this thread....have not heard them all so can't comment unfortunately.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just tried Dre's beats.. the $200 version.

song was Shutterbug by Big Boi.

Impressions - sounds ok, felt it needed more bass, so i turned the volume up and the whole unit was vibrating to the bass - feels like there is a little earthquake going on by your ears.. now don't know if the feature is intentional or not but could get annoying quick.

Then I came home, got my ear buds, and put the same song on, booted up my eq program and with a few clicks I had the same sound, and if i put the volume up, the same vibration in my ear buds.

Good news: sounds the same as Dre... its been half an hour or so but I can't really tell the difference, may be mids and highs might sound different but bass is the same.

here is the funny part.. i paid $3.99 for these at Ross.. so you can probably get them for $15 everywhere :lol2: When I have my $100 buds in a couple of weeks ill run the test again and see how it goes vs those.

as I was leaving the store I saw a guy buy a pair of Dres and it seemed to get a lot of attention ..so props on making $$, but save yours.

post-11867-1312676858.png