Would you buy a 6spd

gdodge

Hi all, it's my first post and I'm hoping to be a new Lambo owner soon. I just sold my 2009 997tt 6 spd and vowed to only drive auto manuel cars going forward. Part of my buying cycle is I usually only keep it for a season or so and then try to resell for a profit or keep my losses to a minimun. Based on the knoweledge of the forum how detrimental to the resale value of the car would a 6spd stick shift be to a 2008 gallardo spyder ?

I could live with the manuel and be quite happy but probably because I have no intention of keeping the car, would prospective buyers feel the same way?

Would a 10-15k price advantage over an automatic be enough for someone to buy a 6spd car?

Thanks for anyones input,

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would only buy a 6 speed, but I am in the minority.

:iamwithstupid:

There could be only one 6-speed Gallardo on the market worldwide and the damn thing would still take months to sell... :crybaby2:

It's a shame, but the vast majority of non-enthusiast buyers of exotic cars think the manual transmission is "old fashioned" and that e-gear is "super high tech formula 1".

Very liitle of the choice comes down to things like traffic or a daily commute making the automated clutch cars easier to live with, far more of it comes down to perception of what's hot.

I've had both gearboxes. 6 speed is definitely way more fun stock, but if you're going to twin turbo it definitely do egear. My TT is a 6 speed manual, but if I were to do it again it would be egear.

Put it this way, if you are wanting it, there's probably someone else that will want it as well.

While the majority of non-gearheads may want the egear, there will be people that are set on a 6sp manual and will wait for that to pop up.

I got my G a few months ago and was happy to find it in the 6sp manual. The clutch feel and the gated shifter really add to the driving experience.

After buying my first manual car a couple weeks ago - I can NOW say I'd go out of my way for a 6 speed if I were to get another G.

Shifting is just so much FUN :icon_thumleft:

You can't control re-sale - it is what it is....

Choose what YOU love - don't worry about the next owner.

As some manufacturers go away from offering manual transmissions (at least in certain models) if anything I'd think demand will go up for the next couple decades, and then as the demographic who loves manuals stops driving there will eventually be a generation that has no idea how to operate a manual. Right now (and foreseeable future) my guess is there would be reasonable demand for a 6 speed on the used market).

There could be only one 6-speed Gallardo on the market worldwide and the damn thing would still take months to sell... :crybaby2:

It's a shame, but the vast majority of non-enthusiast buyers of exotic cars think the manual transmission is "old fashioned" and that e-gear is "super high tech formula 1".

Very liitle of the choice comes down to things like traffic or a daily commute making the automated clutch cars easier to live with, far more of it comes down to perception of what's hot.

I could have swore you "retired" from manual transmissions.

Then again you were supposed to be single forever. :icon_mrgreen:

Hmm... seems the purists in the group aern't shy to give the manual some love. The price drop seems to be even more than the 10k option Egear is when new. Unfortunatly where I live I'm not able to drive the 2 to see for myself, but just by watching vids the automatic down shift throttle blurps sound glorious. For a 10-15 k savings I guess I really need to decide if the trade off and resale is worth the dollars.

6 speed does the throttle blips as well, you just move the thing on the end of your leg :icon_thumleft:

Hmm... seems the purists in the group aern't shy to give the manual some love. The price drop seems to be even more than the 10k option Egear is when new. Unfortunatly where I live I'm not able to drive the 2 to see for myself, but just by watching vids the automatic down shift throttle blurps sound glorious. For a 10-15 k savings I guess I really need to decide if the trade off and resale is worth the dollars.

LP560: e-gear

Any prior year: manual

At least this seems to be the consensus from my limited research.

I could have swore you "retired" from manual transmissions.

Then again you were supposed to be single forever. :icon_mrgreen:

I go back and forth, because the traffic really is a bitch out here.

If there were never any congestion and related things that make a stiff-clutch a nightmare, I would go manual forever, simply because I feel more as one with the car when I have to get everything involved with a gearchange right.

It feels like more of an accomplishment, more fulfilling.

For those who can't heel and toe properly with a 6-speed, the automated clutches do provide nice downshift throttle blips with unerring accuracy for sure. But for those of us who can, getting that magic move right and hearing the reward really is something.

I hear you on the manual blips, I love doing them just for the sheer pleasure of getting the odd one just right. My wife on the other hand thinks I do it to look cool rolling up to a set of lights a little hot.

I go back and forth, because the traffic really is a bitch out here.

If there were never any congestion and related things that make a stiff-clutch a nightmare, I would go manual forever, simply because I feel more as one with the car when I have to get everything involved with a gearchange right.

It feels like more of an accomplishment, more fulfilling.

For those who can't heel and toe properly with a 6-speed, the automated clutches do provide nice downshift throttle blips with unerring accuracy for sure. But for those of us who can, getting that magic move right and hearing the reward really is something.

No debate from me here. 3 pedals all the way.

I would only buy a 6 speed, but I am in the minority.

thumbsup2.gif

I do love the 6 speed, however you have to ask yourself what do YOU want to live with. I'm a tall guy (6'6 1/2") so while I do love the 6-speed, at times it's hell on my long legs and egear makes life sooooo much easier. That being said, go with what you think will give you the most driving pleasure. Some guys are 6 speed all the way. For other guys it's all egear. As far as resale goes, sure having a 6 speed might take a bit longer to get rid of, but what's more important is how you enjoy the car while it's yours. My 2 cents anyways.

Seems like you are a manual transmission guy...you only live once, Lamborghini's aren't rational purchases, get what you want and you may end up owning it longer than you initally thought you would. I came from a 996tt 6 spd and bought a 6 spd 06 Gallardo thinking I'd sell it in a couple of years. The manual gearbox is very good, second only IMO to an NSX (and that didn't have transmit 520 hp). I've owned my Gallardo going on 5 1/2 years with almost 21,000 miles on the original clutch. I have no intention of selling it. Plus it's been bulletproof, more reliable than the 5 BMW's and RR I owned since I . Either way good luck with the purchase.

6 speed manual, less to go wrong, don't have worry about e-gear lines leaking, pumps going bad, and actuators failing...

LP560: e-gear

Any prior year: manual

At least this seems to be the consensus from my limited research.

Easily said from the guy who had the 04 6sp and now the 560 egear!

Easily said from the guy who had the 04 6sp and now the 560 egear!

I am not just saying that because I have a 560, I am saying that because everyone that has driven the 560 says how nice the e-gear system is.

I would never buy an e-gear car that is any year prior to the 560 solely based on all the bad reviews I've read, but I have yet to read a bad review about the 560 e-gear.

Either way, I will soon find out how the e-gear is and I will be sure to report back.

manual all day every day for me. i want to be in control of the car, feel connected to it, not the other way around.

the traffic comments i don't understand, unless you are stuck in 1 hour long traffic jams, which i do not get over here. either way if i see traffic i will take the long way around. much prefer to drive twice as far, but at least I'm driving instead of sitting like sheep in a jam.

on the resale, i can imagine resale will be more difficult/take longer, but that should also give u more bargaining power when YOU buy it. bargain get a better price, and be smart when selling it on, don't see why the relative drop should be any different than an e-gear car. if its 10-15k cheaper now, it should be 10-15k cheaper vs egears. so buy what YOU want to be driving in.

I love the fact people who tend to buy these cars don't want the 6-speeds!...that's an advantage for me when I'm in the market for another one!

When I got my car, a 6-speed manual was a must-have, non-negotiable option...can't stand the E-Gear...hate it. I've driven the 560 and the E-Gear is very good, but it's not as fun as the gated manual...a 6-speed 560/570 would be pure heaven for my driving style.

I would tolerate the paddles on the Aventador, though, cuz that would mean I own an Aventador and that's the only choice they offer. :D

Thanks everyone for the great posts, i'm now more torn than ever as the inner 6spd driver in me is saying buy it for the pleasure not just the cheaper price. I'll keep updates as to how my search goes as well as any relevant pricing info I can post.