Would you buy a 6spd

gdodge

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have driven both, E-Gear gets boring quick. 6 Speed FTW.

:iamwithstupid:

For me it comes down to:

1. I feel more connected, involved, and a part of the car when I row the gears. With the semi-auto units it still feels like an automatic to me, even though I'm pulling paddles.

2. There's a certain satisfaction/accomplishment that comes from blipping your own throttle on downshifts and rev-matching correctly with a manual heel/toe that the robotic clutches take away by doing it for you.

I love the concept of the semi-autos when there's traffic as that's obviously a massive plus for them, but not enough to make me give up the above.

A lot of people have brought up good points.

I can't say for certain since I've never owned a semi auto car, but I can speculate that they are possibly more enjoyable than a traditional stickshift:

a. on a road course track by someone who is very good with car control and can left foot brake naturally; my experience on karts doesn't leave me longing for a third pedal.

b. on mega HP straight line monsters for reasons already mentioned

For most casual driving, it is crazy how big the gap is between stickshift and non stickshift. I just don't think that will ever go away.

I paid about $10k premium for my and it sure took quite a bit of effort to find one. I could had gotten E-gear really easy and pocket the $10k as there were just so many more out there. Selection is much larger.

I have a GTR and I prefer 6spd in my Gallardo over even that gear box.

This statement is amusing ..... I purchased both my new Gallardos as 6 speed manuals. First was a 2004 Gallardo and then a 2009 LP560-4.) Dealerships always told me that manuals are worth less and nobody wants them :eusa_naughty: ..... now people pay more !!

Enjoy your car; there's nothing like a manual tranny !!! I hold out hope that they may have a renaissance some day. ;)

I just bought a 6 speed 08 G and it is a lot more fun to drive then the e-gear...my opinion. I also think the maintainence costs will be lower over time since there is less stuff that can break in the 6-speed. I think within the next 12-18 months manual will be popular especially since Lamborghini has said they are not going to make 6 speeds anymore....You know how folks are...always appreciate something more once it's gone :)

• 2 weeks later...

I think a big part of this ongoing debate has to do with how comfortable you really are with a gearbox (manual) If its were you started out on and you drive it without having to give it any conscious then that,s the way you tend to want to go--unfortunately a large number of people i have encountered really don,t drive a stick like its second nature at all---its quite different thing going from a 4 cylinder box with a stick to a Lambo or similar beast--my friend has a ZR-1 and it just makes me cringe and causes him a near nervous breakdown whenever the traffic or road causes something a little out of his comfort zone--He drove through New hampshire last fall on fal foliage tour and tells horror stories of actually having to back and turn because of a Stop sign at top of a hill---yet he will argue that he handles the shifter very well indeed--i grew up on a 3 speed 6 cyylinder mustang in the 60,s in western pa--you either learned to handle the thing or you learned how to do clutch replacements--thats quite an incentive i think

I think a big part of this ongoing debate has to do with how comfortable you really are with a gearbox (manual) If its were you started out on and you drive it without having to give it any conscious then that,s the way you tend to want to go--unfortunately a large number of people i have encountered really don,t drive a stick like its second nature at all---its quite different thing going from a 4 cylinder box with a stick to a Lambo or similar beast--my friend has a ZR-1 and it just makes me cringe and causes him a near nervous breakdown whenever the traffic or road causes something a little out of his comfort zone--He drove through New hampshire last fall on fal foliage tour and tells horror stories of actually having to back and turn because of a Stop sign at top of a hill---yet he will argue that he handles the shifter very well indeed--i grew up on a 3 speed 6 cyylinder mustang in the 60,s in western pa--you either learned to handle the thing or you learned how to do clutch replacements--thats quite an incentive i think

You make a good point...when I was 16 yrs old I learned how to drive in a 1984 Nissan Sentra 5 speed manual. So the manual has always been second nature to me. I think after a while an e-gear would loose some of it's appeal with me. I wonder if people who own manual tend to hold on to their Lambo longer then folks who own e-gear cars.

hard to find someone in europe who can not drive stick ....

i hear driving tests in usa are extremely easy? u can actually do your test in an automatic car?

Their both great, but my 6 speed is a lot more fun to drive IMO. The only part that sucks is if you get stuck in traffic, other than that, it's a blast and makes you feel like your actually part of the car.

image.jpg

I have a dsg M3, it's efficient but totally boring and there is no challenge. I enjoy driving my 6 speed Gallardo...it takes effort, you have to learn it and yes it is slower to shift but you learn to work around it. But driving isn't a video game. Automated gearbox in a super car...not for me.

i hear driving tests in usa are extremely easy? u can actually do your test in an automatic car?

I bet the majority of people in the U.S. drive automatics. Still plenty who drive a stick but lots who don't and especially below a certain age many who never learned.

Majority probably take their driver test with an automatic transmission.

I learned to drive a stick when i was 16 (I'm in my 50's), but didn't own a manual transmission car until 2012 when I bought the zee oh six. I had the chance over the years to drive a stick from time to time, and never forgot how. It helps that I understand the mechanics of how it works - but it took me a solid month to really get smooth and not have to consciously think about it. As for the track - it took most of the season to really BEGIN to master heel-toe downshifts, and I think I still have plenty of room to improve (this season will be lightyears better).

Now that I've had a chance to own a stick I hope to always have one in the garage. The only time I didn't enjoy it was on a trip to Road America. Passing through Chicago got caught in awful traffic and got a blister on my foot from so much shifting. For track I prefer the stick. Much more engaging and fun, and very rewarding when you really nail the perfect downshift. I'm not a fan of double clutch downshifting. I found it very cumbersome and difficult (I had a coach insist that I shift that way at Pocono and it was one helluva place to learn it).

I would absolutely buy a manual Lambo if I could find what I was looking for. I also find egear fun. I only drive it in CORSA mode because I find the other two modes annoying (shifts are way too slow - like waiting for the other shoe to drop).

Can someone explain which cars need double clutch downshifting and which ones do not? I thought if you rev-matched (heel-toed) in downshifting you can just select the gear and be done with it? I've heard so much about double clutching, but I thought it was only for cars without syncros or something...

In California you can take your test on an automatic and the test is pathetically easy. In England (1986) you had to take the test on a manual and it was much tougher. Most fail their first test - I did. I have heard it is even harder in other parts of Europe. Manuals in the US are pretty rare, most models can't even be purchased with a manual gearbox.

Personally I think it is a public safety issue that needs to be addressed, most Americans are horrible drivers - tailgaters, zero lane discipline, eating, texting, reading, doing make up, shaving, smoking dope I've seen it all on the freeways. There is no MOT process here so people can drive their cars into the ground and not maintain them.

In California you can take your test on an automatic and the test is pathetically easy. In England (1986) you had to take the test on a manual and it was much tougher. Most fail their first test - I did. I have heard it is even harder in other parts of Europe. Manuals in the US are pretty rare, most models can't even be purchased with a manual gearbox.

Personally I think it is a public safety issue that needs to be addressed, most Americans are horrible drivers - tailgaters, zero lane discipline, eating, texting, reading, doing make up, shaving, smoking dope I've seen it all on the freeways. There is no MOT process here so people can drive their cars into the ground and not maintain them.

:iamwithstupid:

I had no issues driving in Europe. Came home, instantly faced idiots all over the place trying to kill me. I feel I could own a motorcycle over there, just not here.

What you are talking about is regulation and enforcement. That equals 'big government' to some and takes away people's 'right' of driving. Offer mass transit on a major level and make the driving test harder, along with stricter equipment regulations - you would see a MASSIVE decrease in fatalities.

Can someone explain which cars need double clutch downshifting and which ones do not? I thought if you rev-matched (heel-toed) in downshifting you can just select the gear and be done with it? I've heard so much about double clutching, but I thought it was only for cars without syncros or something...

I was told that most cars built since the 80's do NOT need double clutch (D.C.) downshifting because they have syncros. You are correct - if you properly match revs you shouldn't need to D.C. in "modern" cars.

The guy who insisted I learn is an old school instructor who races a Formula V and I guess felt it was something every girl should know :D

Then Balboni got in my car and I took him for about 10 laps, and he confirmed that I SHOULD be double clutch downshifting - but again (consider the source) - VERY old school. I have great respect for Mr. Balboni (and this other Formula V guy who is also a friend) but I think it's a very old fashioned approach.

D.C. downshifts certainly won't hurt a modern transmission but are not necessary, from everything I've been told by people who "know" and work on "modern" cars.

I was told that most cars built since the 80's do NOT need double clutch (D.C.) downshifting because they have syncros. You are correct - if you properly match revs you shouldn't need to D.C. in "modern" cars.

The guy who insisted I learn is an old school instructor who races a Formula V and I guess felt it was something every girl should know :D

Then Balboni got in my car and I took him for about 10 laps, and he confirmed that I SHOULD be double clutch downshifting - but again (consider the source) - VERY old school. I have great respect for Mr. Balboni (and this other Formula V guy who is also a friend) but I think it's a very old fashioned approach.

D.C. downshifts certainly won't hurt a modern transmission but are not necessary, from everything I've been told by people who "know" and work on "modern" cars.

That's what I thought - thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

I have 3 paddle shift cars, the F1 in the 430, R-Tronic in the R8, and DCT in the GTR. I just bought a 6 speed Gallardo yesterday, I was seriously yearning for one. I love having the 6 speed, so much more fun to me, and the DCT really brings having a robotized clutch paddle shift car down a notch. I'd go out of my way to get a 6 speed car, and I did.

good to mix it up....

I have 3 paddle shift cars, the F1 in the 430, R-Tronic in the R8, and DCT in the GTR. I just bought a 6 speed Gallardo yesterday, I was seriously yearning for one. I love having the 6 speed, so much more fun to me, and the DCT really brings having a robotized clutch paddle shift car down a notch. I'd go out of my way to get a 6 speed car, and I did.

Now you just need to get the Gallardo to match your GT-R's power (based on your sig). :icon_thumleft:

You make a good point...when I was 16 yrs old I learned how to drive in a 1984 Nissan Sentra 5 speed manual. So the manual has always been second nature to me. I think after a while an e-gear would loose some of it's appeal with me. I wonder if people who own manual tend to hold on to their Lambo longer then folks who own e-gear cars.

Mine is a 6-speed and I would've gotten rid of the car a lonnggggg time ago if it was an E-Gear...complete waste of my time. Having the 6-speed has kept it in the stable. Just drove it today and damn, it never gets old, even after 3 years and despite the car being the old, dinosaur-version 2005 model.

We need to start flooding Lamborghini's email to bring back the manual in the Aventador + Gallardo replacement :crybaby2:

Unless you flood their pockets with demand from buyers it'll never happen.

• 2 weeks later...
Unless you flood their pockets with demand from buyers it'll never happen.

Did my part - ordered a 6 spd 550-2 from the factory. I didn't want to deal with the possible mechanical issues of the egear, and I enjoy rowing the gears myself. Sure the egears are faster on the track, but I don't plan on tracking the car all the time. It also ensures that my nephews don't try to drive it :icon_mrgreen:

Had it for a year now and still enjoying the hell out of it. The RWD factor does make things a little bit more interesting - the back end kicks loose in a heartbeat.

Well, was going to post a pic, but get an error regarding dynamic pages...