Prayers for my friends...

MHaynes772

Just found out this morning my friends 5 month old baby boy, Ryan, was diagnosed with AML Leukemia. This is their first child. Such a cute happy little boy. Any thoughts or prayers are greatly appreciated.

post-5348-1371307338_thumb.jpg

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You got it, but just to let you know, the outlook is fantastic these days on that type!

My thoughts and prayers go out to Ryan and his Father.

Good to know! And thank you!

Definitely will send the prayer. Like Scotty said, there is good prognosis nowadays. My friend's kid was diagnosed when he was four. He kicked it in a year and has been cancer free for a year now, and ran his first 1 mile run a few weeks ago!

You got it, but just to let you know, the outlook is fantastic these days on that type!

I'm not up on chemo, and especially AML in an infant, but afaik, AML is the worst one. I know 2 guys who died in one year from it. They were both almost 30.

Matt, I hope Scott is right. That is horrible to happen to anyone, especially a baby. :(

Did they by any chance save the cord blood when Ryan was born?

Unfortunately, Assman is correct, patients under two years of age that are diagnosed with AML typically do not do well. Cytogenetics and a few other factors are important prognostic indicators. Hope that the child does well.

Prayers for sure! I can't even imagine so I won't try to put it in words. Please PLEASE keep us updated. Heartbreaking. :crybaby2:

My thoughts are with your friend and his son. It kills me to hear stuff like this having two of my own.

Prayers sent. My littlest girl just turned 4 months, I cannot imagine going through that.

I'm not up on chemo, and especially AML in an infant, but afaik, AML is the worst one. I know 2 guys who died in one year from it. They were both almost 30.

Matt, I hope Scott is right. That is horrible to happen to anyone, especially a baby. :(

Did they by any chance save the cord blood when Ryan was born?

Adult prognosis is not usually favorable, but in children the rate has gone up significantly. There are many factors that will help predict the outcome better. Chromosome patterns play a huge role:

Test results from cytogenetic assays and chromosomal abnormalities. Some of the chromosomal abnormalities predict a good and favourable outcome. These include translocation between chromosomes 8 and 21 (seen most often in patients with M2), translocation between chromosomes 15 and 17 (seen most often in patients with M3) and inversion of chromosome 16 (seen most often in patients with M4). Unfavorable abnormalities include deletion or loss of part of chromosome 5 or 7 (no specific AML type) and complex changes involving several chromosomes. Around one third of all AML patients also have mutation in the FLT3 gene. These people tend to have a poorer outcome. However, there are drugs that target this defective gene. People with changes in the NPM1 gene have a good prognosis.

Keep the faith, prayers sent.