New Viper sales far lower than expected...

Mako

They should just hand them out at 60k. With the new Plastic mess-06 coming out and most likely priced similarly to the Viper I don't see how anyone in their right mind would take the Viper.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They should just hand them out at 60k. With the new Plastic mess-06 coming out and most likely priced similarly to the Viper I don't see how anyone in their right mind would take the Viper.

It's actually going to be quite a bit less than the Viper. Chevy said under $100k fully loaded. That may be $99,900, but still one hell of a value with all the aero, CCB's, etc. It will be hard to get one for a while, and the Vipers will continue to gather dust.

It's actually going to be quite a bit less than the Viper. Chevy said under $100k fully loaded. That may be $99,900, but still one hell of a value with all the aero, CCB's, etc. It will be hard to get one for a while, and the Vipers will continue to gather dust.

Yeah, I've emailed a few dealers that haven't taken deposits yet. Hoping I can get one. Will be an awesome car.

I am willing to bet 99% of the drivers out there can't properly handle 500 HP, this HP war is pointless, lighter cars with a higher structural rigidity, better handling and braking, that's what everyone should concentrate on.

If we go that route I am willing to bet that not many owners have gone too many times to their cars handling limits or even tried maximum braking force. So why develop those either? Because we can and because that is human nature.

I was reading that GM has a Corvette customer engine-building program where if you want, as a Corvette buyer, when you order your Corvette, you actually get to build the engine for it. You work with a special technician who guides you through the process, and that way, not only is your Corvette engine hand-built, but built by you.

If we go that route I am willing to bet that not many owners have gone too many times to their cars handling limits or even tried maximum braking force. So why develop those either? Because we can and because that is human nature.

Because developing that side of the product has all the benefits, increase power to weight ratio, increased safety, lower fuel consumption, better braking, better handling, research and development of alternative materials and methods of construction, increasing power is the easiest and the lazy way out.

Please give me 1000 kg, 500 HP, in a killer body, good braking, handling and aero, that's all I need, nothing more nothing less. :icon_mrgreen:

Please give me 1000 kg, 500 HP, in a killer body, good braking, handling and aero, that's all I need, nothing more nothing less. :icon_mrgreen:

Sorry, but the Sesto Elemento is not a street-legal car. :icon_mrgreen:

I was reading that GM has a Corvette customer engine-building program where if you want, as a Corvette buyer, when you order your Corvette, you actually get to build the engine for it. You work with a special technician who guides you through the process, and that way, not only is your Corvette engine hand-built, but built by you.

That's been out for about a year or two now, but only on the Z cars.

Pretty cool deal. If anybody ever ordered one brand new, don't see why you wouldn't build your own motor.

That's been out for about a year or two now, but only on the Z cars.

Pretty cool deal. If anybody ever ordered one brand new, don't see why you wouldn't build your own motor.

Spending any extended amount of time in Bowling Green Kentucky seems reason enough for me!

I am willing to bet 99% of the drivers out there can't properly handle 500 HP, this HP war is pointless, lighter cars with a higher structural rigidity, better handling and braking, that's what everyone should concentrate on.

Your # is too high -- I'd say somewhere around 200-250 hp (on a typical 3000-3500 lb car) is the point where 99% of drivers run out of the ability to string out 9 or 10 tenths on a track.

BTW, we all talk a big game about light weight but how many people own Caterhams and the like? Very, very few. Even Elise/Exige is rather rare and complained about.

It's a real shame the safety regs prevent Porsche, Ferrari and the like from making a 2700 lb street car with a 600 hp N/A motor. The advances in engineering the last 20 years could make a pretty wild F50 for instance.

Your # is too high -- I'd say somewhere around 200-250 hp (on a typical 3000-3500 lb car) is the point where 99% of drivers run out of the ability to string out 9 or 10 tenths on a track.

BTW, we all talk a big game about light weight but how many people own Caterhams and the like? Very, very few. Even Elise/Exige is rather rare and complained about.

It's a real shame the safety regs prevent Porsche, Ferrari and the like from making a 2700 lb street car with a 600 hp N/A motor. The advances in engineering the last 20 years could make a pretty wild F50 for instance.

I've extensively drove a 500 Superlight R Caterham, absolutely insane! but it's very scary, too low to the ground almost "invisible" on the road, trucks were getting way to close for comfort, sucking exhaust gases straight from the pipes, that part wasn't fun, I want a proper car with similar power to weight ratio.

If you guys are bored look at the track reviews of the TA, it's a fcuk load faster than anyone thought it would be, or initially gave it credit for.

It was 8 hundredths of a second faster at Laguna Seca than the five year old ZR1.

Not exactly an azz kicking.

Because developing that side of the product has all the benefits, increase power to weight ratio, increased safety, lower fuel consumption, better braking, better handling, research and development of alternative materials and methods of construction, increasing power is the easiest and the lazy way out.

Hey me too any day, but it's not gonna stop THEM chasing the power figures.

Hey me too any day, but it's not gonna stop THEM chasing the power figures.

At some point they will have to stop and look for a different point of difference, you don't need 1000 hp DD's, when that happens we might start seeing real development in the car industry.

IMO weight is the key factor, I would love to see small entry level cars constructed out of a very strong light weight material, have very small ICE engines, imagine a 500 to 600 kg car with a sub 1000 cc Diesel engine, you reduce weight everything else benefits by default, the only issue is safety, some genius has to come up with a material that's stronger than carbon fibre, easier to produce/manufacture and VERY cheap :icon_mrgreen:

It was 8 hundredths of a second faster at Laguna Seca than the five year old ZR1.

Not exactly an azz kicking.

Was that before or after they did the tire swap? I remember originally it lost out or something to the ZR1 but they said that was due to the wrong tires being on it or something?

At some point they will have to stop and look for a different point of difference, you don't need 1000 hp DD's, when that happens we might start seeing real development in the car industry.

IMO weight is the key factor, I would love to see small entry level cars constructed out of a very strong light weight material, have very small ICE engines, imagine a 500 to 600 kg car with a sub 1000 cc Diesel engine, you reduce weight everything else benefits by default, the only issue is safety, some genius has to come up with a material that's stronger than carbon fibre, easier to produce/manufacture and VERY cheap :icon_mrgreen:

The whole aerospace industry will probably be trying to recruit whoever does that. And screw little cars, more V8s, V10s, and V12s please :D Also Fortis, you like tiny cars? Be careful what you wish for. You may end up driving that which you despise:

TinyCar00.jpg

Very-Small-Car-.jpg

stock-photo-washing-machine-on-wheels-isolated-on-white-background-138461012.jpg

I've extensively drove a 500 Superlight R Caterham, absolutely insane! but it's very scary, too low to the ground almost "invisible" on the road, trucks were getting way to close for comfort, sucking exhaust gases straight from the pipes, that part wasn't fun, I want a proper car with similar power to weight ratio.

That's awesome that you got to drive it! You should tell us more about it sometime....a car that light has to be a real joy to drive.

I hear you about the dangers and impractalicaties of those cars.

But I think it will be almost impossible for any of the major car manufacturers to make these cars because of safety regs. I believe Caterham gets away with it because they sell them as kit cars which skirts the rules.

Another issue you run into is you are probably not going to get the same kind of high end motor in a car like that. I guess you could drop an LS3/LS7 V8 in there and still be pretty light, but the exotic stuff from Europe weighs too much. And would Ferrari go back to making a small V6 like in the Dino for such a car? Doubtful.

Thank god for motorcycles....a 1/3rd of the weight you're looking for with enough power to be insane. :headbang:

Honestly at this point, just best to stick to old school cars for that thrill. Lotus Europa S1 is sorta what you are talking about.

• 1 month later...
How low can you go?!

This isn't going to be low enough to help the SRT Viper.

Tack on another 50k to this and maybe they'll start moving them.

http://carbuying.jalopnik.com/dodge-viper-...2/+tommcparland

With the Hellcats going for mid 60's and a new engine on the horizon for the viper, this current model is a boat anchor.

With the Hellcats going for mid 60's and a new engine on the horizon for the viper, this current model is a boat anchor.

Yeah I'm thinking they did the price cut on the current motor, and the god knows how much hp blower motor will be near the original cost.

But on the flip side the 13' and 14' cars should be so cheap it's going to be huge bang for the $$$ Especially now that there are tuning options available.

10518584_10153145533968626_1814885613161680337_o.jpg

Well the good thing is that they obviously realize there is a problem and rather than kill the program, they are trying to triage it back to life. It would be shame if they killed it. Not my cup of tea, but I like diversity.