Paul Walker Reported Dead in Car Crash

Gilligan740

Sheesh enough with the LP CIS crash investigation already guys.

I kind of like it. The people here are more knowledgable that the general consensus and ridiculous speculation that's flying around the net.

I think we all agree the death of Paul Walker and Roger Rodas is very tragic.

I think most agree that Roger lost control of the car and that's what caused their untimely death

I think some of us believe the tires could have added to the car losing control beyond the fact that the car itself it difficult to drive.

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree with the crash investigation part, but i also think its important that new owners and new owners to be are educated about the car.(maybe a new thread should be started) im no expert but i do know a few things that i experienced with my car.

the traction control works but its very outdated, compared to some of the newer exotics. i think most owners keep it off when they are pushing the car. (this is probably a mistake after we saw what just happened)

also as we can see the tires play a MAJOR roll in the cars handling.

ill always love the cgt, but it is def. a handful for most typical drivers like us.

1202_carrera_gt_2.pdf

Porsche memo regarding the cgt

"The Carrera GT is as close to a race car as we will ever get. This car has all the disadvantages of a race car."

Thanks for sharing

ciao

i agree with the crash investigation part, but i also think its important that new owners and new owners to be are educated about the car.(maybe a new thread should be started) im no expert but i do know a few things that i experienced with my car.

the traction control works but its very outdated, compared to some of the newer exotics. i think most owners keep it off when they are pushing the car. (this is probably a mistake after we saw what just happened)

also as we can see the tires play a MAJOR roll in the cars handling.

ill always love the cgt, but it is def. a handful for most typical drivers like us.

I completely agree. At this point all the RIP's have been said. I doubt any discussion here would ever be perceived as disrespectful by the families involved considering everything else out there. It would almost seem neglectful to avoid a conversation when there are former, current, and potential future owners contributing. While it is highly unlikely that any of this back and forth will amount to anything, knowledge is power. Perhaps somewhere down the road Allan or someone else will double check their tires before bombing through some canyons as a new owner. I see that as finding some potential good in a horrible and unfortunate incident.

it is if you're going over 70 MPH....

I was coming home from a track event in my Viper ACR (609 whp) and gunned it (going straight) towards the top of 2nd gear, at ~70 MPH, It had never spun in that scenario before, but this time it spun very quickly and started going sideways, taking me by surprise, the car moved over one lane at around a 30 degree angle and I was able to recover but it wasn't pretty... friend behind me thought I was going in the ditch for sure...

If you're expecting it that's one thing, but when it comes unexpected, it's scary.... with no stability control, CGT/FGT/Viper you've got to be ready...

:iamwithstupid:

Happened with me in the FGT. Car broke lose and got sideways at ~70mph while WOT. Normally it would hook fine. Managed to reel it in but could easily have gone the other way.

I kind of like it. The people here are more knowledgeable than the general consensus and ridiculous speculation that's flying around the net.

:iamwithstupid:

This discussion is so much more informative and calm than anywhere else I've seen personally. I also think it helps some of us who do not have exotics learn more about what happens with them.

Should I get to drive another exotic someday I think I'll remember to do a few extra safety checks. It's such an experience, the excitement can sometimes cause one to overlook things.

A lot of the rage at this accident are from people that have no experience with high HP cars, much less mid/rear engined cars, and certainly from people that don't understand tire compounds. I was with VRAlex a few times, and even though he had a ton of time in the car and the skill, it certainly got loose to where I just did not get in the car after that.

Personally I've learned quite a lot from this thread and this tragedy, I will certainly be more cautious;

it's sad that, generally, us humans are wired to mostly stop and think when tragedy occurs but if and when we do stop and think because of it and lessons are being learned which potentially could avert similar disasters and tragedy in the future the incident which made us stop and think delivers its own small glimmer of goodness.

When all is lost at the point of no return if I could help/teach/inspire others to learn I feel like not all was lost.

That is creepy.

It will be interesting to see how they write his death into the movie. I'm assuming they'll have his character die while doing something altruistic for his team.

I wonder if the franchise will continue to an 8th film without him.

I wonder if the franchise will continue to an 8th film without him.

Not meaning to sound heartless, speaking just from a dollars and cents frame of mind. This is the best thing to happen to the franchise, they'll ride this out like a rented mule.

Not meaning to sound heartless, speaking just from a dollars and cents frame of mind. This is the best thing to happen to the franchise, they'll ride this out like a rented mule.

Yeah they'll probably make an 8th and I'm sure 7 will make a shit ton more money than the shit ton it was already going to make.

With the 8th it will have to stand to see if Diesel, Johnson, Statham can then carry the franchise.

Yeah they'll probably make an 8th and I'm sure 7 will make a shit ton more money than the shit ton it was already going to make.

With the 8th it will have to stand to see if Diesel, Johnson, Statham can then carry the franchise.

I haven't seen any of them so I don't know what you're talking about regarding the other actors, but pretty sure Statham and Johnson can carry it. They will probably place a nice set of tits in there too.

I have seen some of them, need to see the others. I had no idea mid-engined cars could be so unstable, I had always thought they were more stable since the engine was in the center area of the car, thus making it less able to spin out possibly, not more.

I have seen some of them, need to see the others. I had no idea mid-engined cars could be so unstable, I had always thought they were more stable since the engine was in the center area of the car, thus making it less able to spin out possibly, not more.

The whole idea of a mid engine car is to center the weight and therefore make it rotate easier. The design is inherently more unstable and therefore more dangerous than a front engine car. It's one of the reasons recent lambos have been AWD. The CGT is probably the most extreme example of this. Newer cars have far more sophisticated traction and stability control systems so even though they maybe more powerful, they are still easier to drive.

GT was designed as a lemans prototype originally and then turned into a street car. It probably needed slicks to really make the car work and minimally for street better tire compounds, 4 wheel drive and or stability management. All or most of which would be on any halo car today .

The power , weight , how fast the engine spins up and the lack of electronics makes the car wild

What I learned from this is that driver skill, quality tires, traction control, roll cages and all the car technology in the world makes no difference when God

is ready to take you. Clearly Paul lived a good life and was a great example to others. That is the important lesson for me and hopefully all of us.

when it's your time to go that's it. Enjoy it while you are here.

The simple fact still is that a lot of the people out there are not capable of driving 500 HP cars unassisted, as simple as that.

You hear it all the time, give me a RWD, manual, no nannies, big HP car, fair enough if you can handle it, not many can, unless you drive it like an old woman it can kill you quite easily.

Those high powered cars must be respected at all times, you take it for granted, a slight lack in concentration or overconfidence can turn disastrous in a very short period of time.

The whole idea of a mid engine car is to center the weight and therefore make it rotate easier. The design is inherently more unstable and therefore more dangerous than a front engine car. It's one of the reasons recent lambos have been AWD. The CGT is probably the most extreme example of this. Newer cars have far more sophisticated traction and stability control systems so even though they maybe more powerful, they are still easier to drive.

a good example of this is the 12c. same weight, more power and also 2wd but handles like its on rails. just goes to show you what 7 years of technology has done to exotics.

Agreed. Compare that to the early days of the 4 speed Porsche 930 Turbo's. Hard to even compare, but in those days with a few mods, felt like the front wheels would come off the ground. They would get tail happy in the wet and fwy on/off ramps were your worst enemy. The newer twin turbo Porsches with all the electronics and stability controls can give an average driver wayyyy too much confidence. Scary to see where we came from, but happy to have these on newer super cars.