Lone Survivor (movie)

Gilligan740

I went to see Lone Survivor last night after having read the book.

I was prepared for another poor interpretation of a book but, I have to say, I felt that it was pretty well done. There were some Hollywood embellishments but I got the sense that it was pretty close to the real story. At least the story that we have been told.

Has anyone else seen it? What were your thoughts? I didn't think Wahlberg was particularly good but the others were great.

Trailer for anyone who doesn't know what I am talking about:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting rave reviews and crushing BO expectations. Set to make 35m this weekend.

I loved the book so my review might be slightly biased, but I thought the movie did a great job of sticking to the books purpose, which in my opinion was a dedication to his team members, instead of becoming a Michael Bay Hollywood explosions and infinite round magazine 'Murica wrecks everyone film. Whalberg wasnt spectacular but the other actors did a good job. It was nice to see that Lutrell himself got a part in the film too. It was constantly intense, felt very realistic, and the ending was a true tear jerker. The theater was dead silent at the end except for a few sniffles, which spoke to the power of the film. Would see again.

Guest Dereiter

I saw the movie and liked everything. I recommend it to everyone.

The book was so good that it would be impossible to reproduce it in 2 hours of film. Also, I think I spied Marcus in the begining of the movie. Why would he be in the movie if they deviated so much from his memoirs?

I don't think you'll enjoy the movie as much if you haven't read the book. Just my opinion. It's an intense story.

Thats my expectations. Im going to go see it with my dad(who also read the book) in a few hours.

The book was so good that it would be impossible to reproduce it in 2 hours of film. Also, I think I spied Marcus in the begining of the movie. Why would he be in the movie if they deviated so much from his memoirs?

Marcus had a huge role in the production of the movie. Marcus hired his SEAL friends to be sure the actors were properly trained up on communication, weapons, etc. Marcus would watch over the production and if he saw something that was not right in how the actors communicated, changed mags, their movement, etc then he would inform the producer they have to do it over, it is not right. Marcus is actually in alot of the movie, from getting weapons ready, to even being in the bird that got shot down. He was an integral part of making this movie legit. I feel they did a great job in finding the right area to do the movie that simulated the actual area correctly. Though they did not show how some of them died correctly nor what happened to two of the bodies afterward (which is probably best for the families of the fallen), they did a excellent job. The last part of the movie Marcus never stabbed a taliban member nor was it that easy to get him out. The book is more accurate at the end. In one of the images I post below you will see the village - note the steep terrain from the planters - near impossible to land a bird but it was done. Another image below shows the actual ridgeline. A must see movie to support the cause and a must read book!

post-10287-1389560110.jpg

post-10287-1389560163_thumb.jpg

post-10287-1389560205_thumb.jpg

Minor spoiler alert! Below.

Watched it on Friday, it's a good movie. The end credits are heart wrenching. I kept thinking, their options weren't just to execute or release them. They could taken the cow herders with them until they were able to establish radio contact then let them go when they get picked up. It's never explained at least in the movie (I haven't read the book) why that option wasn't on the table. Either way definitely worth a watch.

Minor spoiler alert! Below.

Watched it on Friday, it's a good movie. The end credits are heart wrenching. I kept thinking, their options weren't just to execute or release them. They could taken the cow herders with them until they were able to establish radio contact then let them go when they get picked up. It's never explained at least in the movie (I haven't read the book) why that option wasn't on the table. Either way definitely worth a watch.

those were cows? i thought they were goats. need to get my eyes checked! :icon_mrgreen:

They were goats. I really enjoyed the movie, tear jerker it is and explosions in the sky on the soundtrack so expect suitable music

Loved the book. Just finished the move and they did a really good job.

Wife was squirming as they toppled down the terrain.

lol...same with my wife. She closed her eyes for half of the movie because the fight scenes were too intense.

Wife was squirming as they toppled down the terrain.

I could see a lot of people squirming in their seats. People probably thought that was the Hollywood part, but really it wasnt. The believable parts are the parts that werent accurate to the book.

Overall I thought it was done very well.

Marcus had a huge role in the production of the movie. Marcus hired his SEAL friends to be sure the actors were properly trained up on communication, weapons, etc. Marcus would watch over the production and if he saw something that was not right in how the actors communicated, changed mags, their movement, etc then he would inform the producer they have to do it over, it is not right. Marcus is actually in alot of the movie, from getting weapons ready, to even being in the bird that got shot down. He was an integral part of making this movie legit. I feel they did a great job in finding the right area to do the movie that simulated the actual area correctly. Though they did not show how some of them died correctly nor what happened to two of the bodies afterward (which is probably best for the families of the fallen), they did a excellent job. The last part of the movie Marcus never stabbed a taliban member nor was it that easy to get him out. The book is more accurate at the end. In one of the images I post below you will see the village - note the steep terrain from the planters - near impossible to land a bird but it was done. Another image below shows the actual ridgeline. A must see movie to support the cause and a must read book!

From what I heard, the movie people said they were making the movie with or without him so at least he signed up to make sure they didn't totally F it up. My guess is that he would have preferred an ending closer to what actually happened and the movie people said no, deal with it.