7 Dead in California

Odyssey

He was on Xanax.

The one interesting thing i noticed is that i dont believe he ever mentions anything about his mental illness. only towards the end he admits to seeing therapists from a young age and being prescribed medication. I know he mentioned xanax towards the end as part of his plan to kill himself, but i wasnt aware he was actually on it.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was 5,9. 135 lbs. A hair cut straight out of the seventies. A crooked bulb nose. A shitty demeanor and he speaks like he's reading out of a Dickinson novel.

Dude couldn't have got laid if he had hundred dollar bills hanging out of his pants.

When you're walking around with a chip on your shoulder, people pick up on it quickly.

he never actually made any attempts to get laid, he expected women to just appear naked in his bed and when they didnt he became angry. i dont think it has anything to do with his looks, more along the lines of him being socially awkward and not having much expierence in basic interaction with females

he never actually made any attempts to get laid, he expected women to just appear naked in his bed and when they didnt he became angry. i dont think it has anything to do with his looks, more along the lines of him being socially awkward and not having much expierence in basic interaction with females

Yeah.. I know that's the truth when it comes down to it. Kid was just an all around entitled loser.

Ok... Maybe the chicks have changed... But when I was his age, there were chicks who would have stopped him driving down the street.... Without him saying a fcuking word.... Or would have grabbed him at a party or bar and stuck their tongues down his throat, without him saying a word.

How about blaming the police? Who had probable cause to get a warrant to search his fcuking apartment, but didn't... Because, you know, he was a nice young gentleman... (A nice young gentleman who took the time to make and upload at least a half dozen creepy ass videos where he implicitly or explicitly says he plans to kill people...)

Or the ACLU who will sue the shit out of any police department who has the audacity to infringe on the fourth amendment rights of an obviously whacka-doodle nutcase...

fcuk me... This guy couldn't have been more fcuking explicit in what he had planned if he took out a full fcuking page ad on the front page of the New York Times that said "I'm going on a murder spree next month! Does anybody care to stop me?" If he hired sky writers and the goddamned Goodyear blimp he couldn't have been more fcuking clear....

We have too many fcuking door kickers, and not enough guys who will take the time, BEFOREHAND to sit down and watch a couple of videos, or read a Facebook page or pull up a body building post, like took us all of about thirty minutes yesterday...

Somebody is acting like David Burkowitz and posting the shit on Youtube, get a fcuking warrant.. Pull his fcuking 4542 which tells you he's buying multiple guns (you don't even need to leave the fcuking office to do that you fat lazy fcuk!)

Make a copy of his computer where you will find 141 pages that has "involuntary commitment" written all over it.

fcuk

I guess they folks at the NSA were on lunch break when this idiots youtube posts were uploaded.

just be glad he didn't have sex and reproduce. instead of putting his energy into self pity, he could've used it to try harder with girls... or at least get a good hooker.

i didn't have time to read his manifesto. i had better things to do like see the new X-Men film. :icon_mrgreen:

I just read this article on CNN:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/26/justice/cali....html?hpt=hp_c2

DAMN he was messed up. I can't believe the Cops didn't take a harder look. Especially after his mom sent them the video and they went and had a chat with him.

Maybe his coming from a family with Hollywood connections (and hence money and probably political connections too) made the police more cautious?

Maybe his coming from a family with Hollywood connections (and hence money and probably political connections too) made the police more cautious?

I suspect since one of the parents submitted the videos it would be approached with a more serious demeanor.

But as RD pointed out, it would take much to find what should have been obvious. I'm even more surprised since that he was being treated by multiple therapists that the PD didn't try and contact them to ask if there were any specific threats they should take seriously. I understand there is the patient confidentiality clause, but if there is a very real threat to themselves and or others, are they not obligate to report that?

I suspect since one of the parents submitted the videos it would be approached with a more serious demeanor.

But as RD pointed out, it would take much to find what should have been obvious. I'm even more surprised since that he was being treated by multiple therapists that the PD didn't try and contact them to ask if there were any specific threats they should take seriously. I understand there is the patient confidentiality clause, but if there is a very real threat to themselves and or others, are they not obligate to report that?

Yes. If there is a real and specific threat they are obligated to break confidentiality.

His therapist is Dr. Charles Sophey, who moonlights as the director of children and family services for LA county. The guy knows crazy, and HE is the one who called the SBSD. They sent six deputies out to take him in.... Evidently they all had psychology MD's because THEY decided to over rule his professional recommendation based on their chat with the kid....

Somebody needs to be fcuking fired.

His therapist is Dr. Charles Sophey, who moonlights as the director of children and family services for LA county. The guy knows crazy, and HE is the one who called the SBSD. They sent six deputies out to take him in.... Evidently they all had psychology MD's because THEY decided to over rule his professional recommendation based on their chat with the kid....

Wow. That's terrible :(

That's ridiculous, cops dropped the ball AGAIN :eusa_wall:

He would have to put himself out there - not to even get rejected, but to get a RESPONSE he'd have no choice but to consider. Too scary. He has 140 pages of bullshit identity he's built up - ego that can't be bruised because if he's wrong about himself being X, then what else could be wrong about? Then who the hell is he anyway? He needed a friend or two who'd call him on his BS and say - 'these are the fcuking rules. Either learn to play the game or masturbate, the choice is only up to you.' He has no idea what those 'assholes' actually do.. since he's so self absorbed I bet he never actually asked - what is it a GIRL would want from a guy, what kind of a guy would I have to become to get girls?

24, Chip, DAMN. One of my friends had just crossed 29... normal dude in every way but that one....and I think hope's lost.

this is why prostitution should be legal everywhere..

Video asserts witnesses saw TWO men in BMW.... Thoughts??

youtube video

Eyewitnesses always get confused during these things. There are multiple studies conducted under under clinical settings where they have determined, eyewitnesses suck.... They forget facts, add facts, and the brain fills in blanks for reasons we don't understand.

I went through a fairly traumatic criminal event... I'm fairly good with details and such, yet I was never able to accurately remember the races of my attackers... And, I'm fairly certain there were four... But one I can't remember any details about. And I've never been able to wrap my head around the three versus four thing....

This shit happens in a blur.

If this guy had a friend, we would have read about him in the manifesto or the videos.... This was a one man band.

Plus.... I'm never really sure what the significance would be if there were a second suspect? These conspiracy a-holes always use that confusion to make some point... But I'm not sure what it is? Harris had Klebold... So what's the point?

As an LEO, it disturbs me greatly to see that officers contacted this subject, conducted an interview to see whether he met the criteria for a hold (involuntary evaluation so that mental health "experts" could determine whether he was an immediate threat to himself or others), that the officers formed the belief the he didn't meet the criteria, and subsequently failed to take him into custody. A major opportunity lost.

The inability to obtain truthful statements ("Lost Confessions") from someone under arrest or (as in this case) lawfully detained is far too common and like false confessions is directly associated with the lack of formal training on how to conduct interviews and interrogations. Most cops will go through a basic police academy, have at least some college (if not a degree), and literally years of field experience/advanced officer training without having received a single day's worth of behavioral analysis based formal interview and interrogation training until and unless they are assigned as a detective. Even then, investigators aren't necessarily mandated to receive this training and are never required to use it. To me, this makes no sense whatsoever and may very well have contributed to this tragedy as intervention may have occurred.

Think about this: The sheriff's personnel that engaged this suspect were trained and routinely required to show proficiency with their firearms. They had a tough situation dealing with a violent suspect in a heavily populated area and apparently did well enough that the wounded suspect killed himself before he could do additional harm to others. All those hours (days) of training to deal with a situation that might have been resolved without any injuries if the patrol people that met this guy last month had received even the most basic (8-24 hours) of formal instruction on how to question people, recognize behaviors associated with innocence and deception, and what to do to obtain truthful statements from those who are under suspicion. This stuff isn't "rocket science" and you don't need to be a psychologist, psychiatrist, or sociologist to understand the training or put it to use. Any cop can learn this, but for some reason most police administrators would rather spend money on things other than providing their cops (at the beginning of their careers when they're most likely to absorb it) the training needed to read, understand, and deal with people that they are talking to.

Most cops come into this career as "blank sheets of paper", in their early 20's with little "real world" experience outside of college, and even if they've had some, its a sure bet they've never dealt with people in these kinds of situations or those accused of committing serious crimes but are factually innocent. Expecting anyone to just step into such a responsibility and get the answers, is extremely naive. If this training was provided, not only could situations like this be avoided, credible confessions would reduce the need for unnecessary and costly trials, "plea bargains" could be more realistically based upon known facts, complaints about cops' behavior might be reduced and the number of cases involving allegations of coerced or false confessions made to be even more rare.

Not hugely relevant, but I heard IV is a patrol where the lower ranking cops are sent, almost made it sound like working there was a label amongst the officers.

If there is any merit to that, these were higher on the incompetency level than most.

Im curious why the therapist didn't have him on a no gun list?

He tried.... He can't just "put somebody on a no gun list." He has to call the cops... (Check). They have to find him. (Check). They transport him to the hospital (whoops). At the hospital he's given a psych eval. (That should have included the guns, and the manifesto, that the cops would have found when they tossed his room.... And the videos he was making). The hospital takes that evaluation to a judge, who would have put him in the rubber room and the no gun list...

As an LEO, it disturbs me greatly to see that officers contacted this subject, conducted an interview to see whether he met the criteria for a hold (involuntary evaluation so that mental health "experts" could determine whether he was an immediate threat to himself or others), that the officers formed the belief the he didn't meet the criteria, and subsequently failed to take him into custody. A major opportunity lost.

The inability to obtain truthful statements ("Lost Confessions") from someone under arrest or (as in this case) lawfully detained is far too common and like false confessions is directly associated with the lack of formal training on how to conduct interviews and interrogations. Most cops will go through a basic police academy, have at least some college (if not a degree), and literally years of field experience/advanced officer training without having received a single day's worth of behavioral analysis based formal interview and interrogation training until and unless they are assigned as a detective. Even then, investigators aren't necessarily mandated to receive this training and are never required to use it. To me, this makes no sense whatsoever and may very well have contributed to this tragedy as intervention may have occurred.

Think about this: The sheriff's personnel that engaged this suspect were trained and routinely required to show proficiency with their firearms. They had a tough situation dealing with a violent suspect in a heavily populated area and apparently did well enough that the wounded suspect killed himself before he could do additional harm to others. All those hours (days) of training to deal with a situation that might have been resolved without any injuries if the patrol people that met this guy last month had received even the most basic (8-24 hours) of formal instruction on how to question people, recognize behaviors associated with innocence and deception, and what to do to obtain truthful statements from those who are under suspicion. This stuff isn't "rocket science" and you don't need to be a psychologist, psychiatrist, or sociologist to understand the training or put it to use. Any cop can learn this, but for some reason most police administrators would rather spend money on things other than providing their cops (at the beginning of their careers when they're most likely to absorb it) the training needed to read, understand, and deal with people that they are talking to.

Most cops come into this career as "blank sheets of paper", in their early 20's with little "real world" experience outside of college, and even if they've had some, its a sure bet they've never dealt with people in these kinds of situations or those accused of committing serious crimes but are factually innocent. Expecting anyone to just step into such a responsibility and get the answers, is extremely naive. If this training was provided, not only could situations like this be avoided, credible confessions would reduce the need for unnecessary and costly trials, "plea bargains" could be more realistically based upon known facts, complaints about cops' behavior might be reduced and the number of cases involving allegations of coerced or false confessions made to be even more rare.

I think we need to get to a place, where the police are being trained to treat mental health calls like they handle DV calls. We don't really care if the suspect says he didn't do anything. As a matter of fact, we don't really care if the complainant says he didn't do anything. If there is a shred of evidence if DV, he's going in. And the courts can sort it out... How did we get there? We started holding departments liable when they fucked up and somebody got killed....

For some reason, were seeing these nut jobs do these rampages... And we have the profile of how they are acting before hand. Yet when the cops (in multiple instances now, james Holmes, Navy shipyard, gabby giffords guy, this guy) the police have been notified by family or doctors that they are a danger.... And the cops are treating it like a joke...

When a dr or family member call the cops for a mental health issue, the police should be a taxi service at that point.... And they should grab a warrant to toss the house and car... And that's it...

Police still are of the mindset that they are supposed to respond to crimes that have been committed rather than preventing crimes where they can be prevented.... "He hasn't broken any laws... Yet..." Is not a valid excuse when you have a shrink telling you he's 5150.