Anyone old enough to remember the Vector?

Jagata

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I spent the day today at the home of the founder of Vector cars Gerry Wiegert, here are the 2 original prototypes that was introduced at the Geneva Auto show back in the day.

DSC_0124.JPG

DSC_0120.JPG

200+ mph through a 3 speed torque converter automatic.....the originals that is.

Underrated supercar, and plenty fascinating.

I believe the later ones used a crate Diablo motor.

I remember the original and the 2nd model. I had the posters too. On of my fav cars as teen back in the 80's. I also remember the newer model. They had two of them on display with American Flag motifs back in the 90's at the 45th St Marriott Hotel by Time Square. They were definitely sinister looking machines and still have a mysterious vibe about them, especially the original in black.

200+ mph through a 3 speed torque converter automatic.....the originals that is.

Underrated supercar, and plenty fascinating.

I believe the later ones used a crate Diablo motor.

The original Vectors WX-8 had a twin turbo small block Chevy motor, but after the company was aquired by Megatech the new M12 model used Diablo V12s as well as Diablo chassis if I remember correctly.

Seen quite a few of the M12's in person. One of the Yellow M12's resided near Dayton ohio back in the early 2000's, Owner told me and a buddy he traded his 94 Diablo VT for the Vector. There was a guy in Cincinnati who owned the American Flag motiff car as well as another M12. They spent a lot of time stored at Nelson Lamborghini back in the mid 2000's. The guy was a fraud investor who bilked a bunch of money and went crazy buying cars and living the high life for a couple of years before he got caught. Was trying to acquire Vector after they went out of business to start it back up and have his own company. Pretty sure he went to prison before he could attempt to pull that off.

I saw an image of it at some Finnish game magazine around early 90s at their CES report.

It stuck to my head immediately.

Whole drivetrain is from some american front wheel drive car turned backwards.

It still has an air of mystic around it but even if I had all the money in the world and biggest supercar shopping acid trip, seeing that Flinstones interior would immediately snap me sober and back to reality. Cool and piece of 80/90s wallpaper pipedreams, but still, no thanks.

3156809999_c9cc15bb42.jpg

I saw an image of it at some Finnish game magazine around early 90s at their CES report.

It still has an air of mystic around it but even if I had all the money in the world and biggest supercar shopping acid trip, seeing that Flinstones interior would immediately snap me sober and back to reality. Cool and piece of 80/90s wallpaper pipedreams, but still, no thanks.

ostritch skin really kicks it up a notch!

In the 80's lots of weird shit was considered cool.

As a kid first getting into cars, I liked Vector a lot because it was cool to see America produce something to try and compete directly with the euro exotics. As a consequence, I have way too much knowledge about these cars and have seen quite a lot of them. I have met Mr Wiegert on several occasions and have seen his WX-3 Avtech prototype and the WX-8 prototype before it was brought to the LA Autoshow. My personal favorite is the Avtech WX-3 coupe. It still looks cool and I respect Vector for trying to make an American supercar. It would be nice to have these cars be properly tested so that a straight answer could be given about them. Feel free to ask me any questions, I think there might be only 5 other fans that know more than me about these cars.

For a brief history lesson:

Vector W-2 (has since been converted into a W-8)

vector-w2-06.jpg

Vector W-8 (Twin Turbo)

142779d1267272178-hot-not-vector-w8-vector_w8_1.jpg

Vector WX-3 Avtech (Only 1 coupe and 1 roadster)

Vector_-_Flickr_-_Supermac1961.jpg

Vector M-12 (Built by Megatech using the Diablo V12)

v4.jpg

Vector WX-8 (Current Prototype)

wx8-transparent-sm500.png

The W8 looks good, not a fan of the long nose cars. I did get to see the new prototype, I wish him luck.

I agree....W8 looks the best. Not so sure about the new prototype rendering. Front reminds me of a camaro. Still remember Andre Agassi with his Vector back in the days.

As a kid first getting into cars, I liked Vector a lot because it was cool to see America produce something to try and compete directly with the euro exotics. As a consequence, I have way too much knowledge about these cars and have seen quite a lot of them. I have met Mr Wiegert on several occasions and have seen his WX-3 Avtech prototype and the WX-8 prototype before it was brought to the LA Autoshow. My personal favorite is the Avtech WX-3 coupe. It still looks cool and I respect Vector for trying to make an American supercar. It would be nice to have these cars be properly tested so that a straight answer could be given about them. Feel free to ask me any questions, I think there might be only 5 other fans that know more than me about these cars.

Vector M-12 (Built by Megatech using the Diablo V12)

Nice pictures!

Do you know what kind of transmission the M-12 used, and also which Diablo motor?

I wonder how much it weighs and compares in performance to a Diablo.

My understanding was that it was a full diablo drivetrain( Early engine with 492bhp) with transmission and all. They certainly had a serious presence....Pretty sure the owner of one of the white W-8's is a member over on Fchat. he used to be a builder for Vector and bought one down the road.