An Interesting Experience

Supercar Ace

So yesterday afternoon I get pulled over for speeding by LAX. I'm out in the M3 and I was laser gunned by a motorcycle officer. I pull over to and everything seems fairly normal. I give the office my license, registration and proof of insurance. After about a minute or two, I'm being commanded to exit my vehicle. I'm a little confused until he commands me again. So I get out of my vehicle, and he orders me to face forward. Still puzzled (I'm facing him) he shouts at me to face forward. By this time two other squad cars are there, I see about 5 other officers get out all hands on holsters ready. So I'm thinking "Well this can't be good." I see three of the officers start to draw as I turn around and the motorcycle officer gives me the hands being your back and interlock your fingers orders. As he cuffs me I can tell that's he's really nervous and all I can think is "why are you nervous I have the guns on me." So I just ask "Officer, can you tell me why I am being arrested." He responds that dispatch has reported my plates as stolen.

So I'm brought to the curb, cuffed and my first thought as a car guy is "They better not tow my car and scratch my new paint." Since I know it has to be a clerical error I'm pissed but I'm also calm because there's now 7 officers at the scene and just me, on a secluded part of the road. After sitting there for about 10 minutes or so, they finally report back that my plates are cleared. I get uncuffed but they still make me keep my hands on my head for a few moments after uncuffing me. They get a more apologetic tone and give me the ticket for speeding. To be courteous, I still shook the officers hands because even though that situation shouldn't have happened, I'm not a vindictive kind of person (unless you hurt my family...the it's vengeance time).

It certainly was an interesting experience, and given the current new cycles about police force I thought it could have been handled a lot smarter, by double checking my plates to begin with. I can see if he ran my plates on the road and they got flagged going through all of that, but they had my license, my registration, my proof of insurance, and my plates are custom so they are pretty hard to mess up. I'm kinda glad it happened to me since I'm pretty level-headed and know how to be calm in tense situations, but I can easily see how irate someone would get in that situation, especially after the police messed up on their end. I never think of things in terms of race, but I would think that if I was in the officer's shoes I would double check something since being provided with paperwork because the last few months there have been a lot of stories of police officers and black individuals, and that the situation is another potential national headline, so I'd want to be damn sure.

To me the important thing to take away is that life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it. I can certainly seeing things from the officers side, they are dealing with a reportedly stolen car and a person that don't know who could do anything at any moment. That part I get, but I still think it could have dealt with better. It was also eye opening, seeing a group of people legitimately scared of what I may do, when I am the one that should be nervous and not calm. Another big take away for me is that when it was all cleared they acknowledged their mistake. No real harm done, I just thought it was worth sharing a story of this nature with a very positive outcome as opposed to what's recently been dominating the news cycles.

You certainly are taking it very well, being cuffed and treated like a common criminal because they can't spell, anyway I am glad to see you came out of it unharmed.

Thanks for sharing.

I wonder....if your demeanor had been more upset rather than calm - would have reacted differently? Do common criminals stay calm when being arrested (cause it's happened to them before and they know the drill)? or do they get irate and act as though they are innocent and being wrongly accused?

I have no idea. Just thinking out loud.

I assume the best behavior in the situation is exactly what you did. I wouldn't want to give them any reason to use force or feel they were threatened in any way. But I do wonder if they assume an innocent person would be angry, and therefore being calm might work against you in some ways. Either way - tough situation and congrats for keeping your cool.

You certainly are taking it very well, being cuffed and treated like a common criminal because they can't spell, anyway I am glad to see you came out of it unharmed.

i didnt say anything here, about 4 weeks ago i got cuffed up for no licence plate, i handed it to him before i was cuffed up. i knew i had no warrants, so i was talking shit the whole time. they went thru a investigation that wwas beyond belief-the older of the 2 cops was maybe 22.

this was on a sunday morning after hiking up by the hollywood sign.

he asked why was my plate in the front seat of my car? I said"you know. im just not sure, i dont put gas in my car, wash it, do my laundry, mow my lawn, aint been grocery shipping in 20 years, clean my pool-i didnt stop" After about 10-15 more things, I asked him how could i possibly know why my plate was in the front seat? ad to run some game on him. This was after i was cuffed.

why i was cuffed is there "was a fugitive with my name"-"Turn around" ok like i really cared i was reminding him he didnt know how to correctly spell my name and therefore how could there be a fugitive with my name? click goes the cuff at the same time.

i complemented him on his cuffing ability, I asked if he got a A on that in the training program.

so now he is trying to expain why i'm cuffed, i said i dont care, you got nothing but a licence plate in my front seat, thats when he asked why-then that's when i went into the "i'm rich and dont know pitch i outlined above.

It was a Flordia plate, he couldnt figure that out, i said well you see 2 drivers licences Vegas(expired), Bev Hills, I live in Fl too and my cars get moved around from time to time by my handlers-now the bullshit is getting deep.

where do you live? I said "the World", but for your purposes today i live in beverly hills. and thats the last thing i have to say until i get my rights, then ill really shut up-so you lose there too".

he kept trying to talk, i kept telling him "I dont want to need or hear another peep until i get my rights, save it" that went on about 3-4 times. I had 3 friends there watching the whole time, it was funny.

So the older cop, yelled from his car-"No warrants", i didnt say a word. The old guy yelled from his car asking my address, i told him-you thats it. Then 3-4 minutes later still in cuffs, he was walking up and asked my address again. I said "you really think i forgot what i told you or where i live this week?" He said "Tell me again" Ok here it goes:

"01209 ca hills beverly drive(street neme spelled backwards), is that close enough for you,"

Now I failed to mention here I didnt have a shirt on, i was changing it when the cops arrived, i was cuffed up 20-30 minutes while they tried to figure me out, its always like that when you have shit from 3 states,

So The cuffs come off, The older cop is standing 5' behind me and asked if I had any tattoos, "No sir!!" "Ok thank you" "No problem, I just want you to have a accurate report with no errors in it, and I hope this exercise today was good practice you and it's error free"

the thing i my back is 100%+ covered with tattoos. he was standing 5 feet behind me, he asked the other cop i answered "no" and watched him write it down-he never even noticed the tattoos, which is impossible to miss if your paying attention to anything. the young cuff cop was busy with the cuffs and whatever else he was confused about-had to be his first week on patrol, so he didnt correct what i said "no tattoos". That's scary, how retarded they were/are.

no back up unit, just 2 badge heavy kids practicing, my point is they are fcuking blind and under trained and cant think for themselfs, they went by what ever protocol they were taught. And noting more,

BTW the car was a 97 Black S600 that needed a bath real bad. So i didnt look like i had a dollar.

In Vegas I'd have got shot for that-what i said. And when there were no back up units i knew it was practice, noon busting guys who are hiking? please....

the aip port thats a whole other story, they are dumber and have more training, thats a deadly combination.

the reality of the situation is kids in their 20's who are getting into law enforcment are just too stupid to have that authority and look whats going on in america.

i mite not know how to spell or write but gad damn im smaarter than these clowns and know how to handle myself. I controlled the whole process-to the extent he took my word for having no tats and he is looking at them,

I got no beef with lw enforcment, i have a beef with idiots.

So they incorrectly entered your drivers license number,proof of insurance AND your lisence plate information and came to the conclusion that you stole a vehicle?

Sounds like they screwed up royally.

I would definitely be fighting the ticket.

If an officer doesn't have the skill set to properly operate a computer keyboard, there may be reasonable doubt as to his ability to correctly use a laser radar gun.

I would have reacted the same as the OP. But I think that's pretty shitty they give you a ticket. However, if you were speeding then you were speeding. Maybe go to court and talk with the prosecutor and he will knock it down. If it isn't an excessive speeding ticket or huge fine, I would probably just pay and be done with it.

I would have reacted the same as the OP. But I think that's pretty shitty they give you a ticket. However, if you were speeding then you were speeding. Maybe go to court and talk with the prosecutor and he will knock it down. If it isn't an excessive speeding ticket or huge fine, I would probably just pay and be done with it.

I'm tempted to do that, since it's just money so it's not a huge deal. I have a clean record so I can opt for online traffic school to keep it that way. The section of road I was on is a very long straight (see map below) which people commonly travel at highway speed (roughly 70-75mph). What I discovered is that this zone is actually a 55 and I was flagged in the 80's range. What's more important to me is getting a record out there of this incident, since I have a vanity plate that's very easy to read, so If they made a mistake on something that simple then I would not want them to be out there unchecked because who knows what'll happen with the next guy this error is made with?

To me the unsettling thought is that there was 1 of me and 7 of them in a secluded area, so I coulda been gunned down and they could just make up whatever story they want since there was no one else around. That was my main reason being calm, I knew I hadn't done anything wrong and with no real witnesses around I wasn't about to tempt fate with agitating an already nervous officer.

Map Legend:

Blue = Me

Red = Motorcycle officer (where he flagged me)

Orange = Where he caught up behind me

Purple = Where he flashed his lights

Green = Where I pulled over and the indecent took place

post-8919-1433787495_thumb.png

I am surprised that Metro cops made that many mistakes. Around here (normally) the metro cops are good at their job and pretty reasonable. It is the county cops that suck. They exist to piss everyone off. I am a target in my local county. They pull me over for anything they can. I got pulled over for "right of way" and "cutting off a police officer" the other day. Total BS all of the witnesses actually thought the cop had hit me, not the other way around. Neither of us hit, and I ended up getting a verbal warning. In your case I would expect that to play out in a small county like mine, rather than metro cops. I can't say I would have been as calm, major props to you for being so calm. The ticket is BS, I would fight that. Traffic school blows, especially the online one. I am not a lawyer by any means, but couldn't you threaten them with a harassment lawsuit if they aren't reasonable and drop the ticket? Is your M3 a frozen color?

I'm tempted to do that, since it's just money so it's not a huge deal. I have a clean record so I can opt for online traffic school to keep it that way.

I would just hire an attorney and make it go away, you have a clean license so it should not be a problem.

When I was younger I used to show up, fight the ticket go to school and waste a lot of time.

I typically get pulled over every two years. I have had a clean license for the past several years.

Had my attorney handle the last three speeding tickets in and out no fuss no wasted time, overall cheaper in the long run.

Save the traffic school for something bigger for when you might need it most.

Just admit you were trying to replicate the scene from top gun chasing the airplanes.

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

I've already done that :icon_thumleft:

post-8919-1433793428_thumb.jpg

I think you handled it well. Nothing to be gained and plenty to lose going off on a cop.

Dick move though to still give you the ticket.

i didnt say anything here, about 4 weeks ago i got cuffed up for no licence plate, i handed it to him before i was cuffed up. i knew i had no warrants, so i was talking shit the whole time. they went thru a investigation that wwas beyond belief-the older of the 2 cops was maybe 22.

this was on a sunday morning after hiking up by the hollywood sign.

he asked why was my plate in the front seat of my car? I said"you know. im just not sure, i dont put gas in my car, wash it, do my laundry, mow my lawn, aint been grocery shipping in 20 years, clean my pool-i didnt stop" After about 10-15 more things, I asked him how could i possibly know why my plate was in the front seat? ad to run some game on him. This was after i was cuffed.

why i was cuffed is there "was a fugitive with my name"-"Turn around" ok like i really cared i was reminding him he didnt know how to correctly spell my name and therefore how could there be a fugitive with my name? click goes the cuff at the same time.

i complemented him on his cuffing ability, I asked if he got a A on that in the training program.

so now he is trying to expain why i'm cuffed, i said i dont care, you got nothing but a licence plate in my front seat, thats when he asked why-then that's when i went into the "i'm rich and dont know pitch i outlined above.

It was a Flordia plate, he couldnt figure that out, i said well you see 2 drivers licences Vegas(expired), Bev Hills, I live in Fl too and my cars get moved around from time to time by my handlers-now the bullshit is getting deep.

where do you live? I said "the World", but for your purposes today i live in beverly hills. and thats the last thing i have to say until i get my rights, then ill really shut up-so you lose there too".

he kept trying to talk, i kept telling him "I dont want to need or hear another peep until i get my rights, save it" that went on about 3-4 times. I had 3 friends there watching the whole time, it was funny.

So the older cop, yelled from his car-"No warrants", i didnt say a word. The old guy yelled from his car asking my address, i told him-you thats it. Then 3-4 minutes later still in cuffs, he was walking up and asked my address again. I said "you really think i forgot what i told you or where i live this week?" He said "Tell me again" Ok here it goes:

"01209 ca hills beverly drive(street neme spelled backwards), is that close enough for you,"

Now I failed to mention here I didnt have a shirt on, i was changing it when the cops arrived, i was cuffed up 20-30 minutes while they tried to figure me out, its always like that when you have shit from 3 states,

So The cuffs come off, The older cop is standing 5' behind me and asked if I had any tattoos, "No sir!!" "Ok thank you" "No problem, I just want you to have a accurate report with no errors in it, and I hope this exercise today was good practice you and it's error free"

the thing i my back is 100%+ covered with tattoos. he was standing 5 feet behind me, he asked the other cop i answered "no" and watched him write it down-he never even noticed the tattoos, which is impossible to miss if your paying attention to anything. the young cuff cop was busy with the cuffs and whatever else he was confused about-had to be his first week on patrol, so he didnt correct what i said "no tattoos". That's scary, how retarded they were/are.

no back up unit, just 2 badge heavy kids practicing, my point is they are fcuking blind and under trained and cant think for themselfs, they went by what ever protocol they were taught. And noting more,

BTW the car was a 97 Black S600 that needed a bath real bad. So i didnt look like i had a dollar.

In Vegas I'd have got shot for that-what i said. And when there were no back up units i knew it was practice, noon busting guys who are hiking? please....

the aip port thats a whole other story, they are dumber and have more training, thats a deadly combination.

the reality of the situation is kids in their 20's who are getting into law enforcment are just too stupid to have that authority and look whats going on in america.

i mite not know how to spell or write but gad damn im smaarter than these clowns and know how to handle myself. I controlled the whole process-to the extent he took my word for having no tats and he is looking at them,

I got no beef with lw enforcment, i have a beef with idiots.

Right or wrong in todays climate I would say you are lucky you didn't get your ass beat. You must not be watching much news here in the US lately. Not saying you didn't have a right to be pissed but not the best way to handle that situation.

I would just hire an attorney and make it go away, you have a clean license so it should not be a problem.

When I was younger I used to show up, fight the ticket go to school and waste a lot of time.

I typically get pulled over every two years. I have had a clean license for the past several years.

Had my attorney handle the last three speeding tickets in and out no fuss no wasted time, overall cheaper in the long run.

Save the traffic school for something bigger for when you might need it most.

I may just do a trail by declaration for this one.

I may just do a trail by declaration for this one.

Doesn't work anymore. Court is best bet. I had a ticket recently and tried my luck. First time a cop showed, but judge offered traffic school and 50% fine plea.

Right or wrong in todays climate I would say you are lucky you didn't get your ass beat. You must not be watching much news here in the US lately. Not saying you didn't have a right to be pissed but not the best way to handle that situation.

Your correct, the only reason I didn't is because I had 3 friends there and another 40-50 people walked past, it's a busy hiking spot in LA.

So because I had that going for me, I was a asshole, making fun of their protocol and pointing out their mistakes- like telling me a person with my name is a fugitive. When he didn't have my name correct, I knew I was dealing with rookies. No back up unit.

Now in Vegas those cops don't play-they shoot. You can be sure I would have kept my fat mouth shut. I just knew this particular day I had the best of it.

People on the other side of the street who I never saw in my life were yelling at them-pig, wasting $$, go bust a real criminal. It was very interesting to see the publics attitude torwards the police. I had never seen that before.

My situation was a joke compared to Joshua's bust, I certainly wouldn't acted like I did.

It's funny I been cuffed up 2 times in my entire life. In 05 cause I didn't have the sticker on my plate, it was in the front console & because the whole plate was in the front seat. Kinda funny I get cuffed twice with about the lowest infractions possible.

I just wanted to clear up that my ordeal was nothing and point out how broken law enforcement is, I don't want derail this thread, I just thought it was relivant to the OP, who I know and is a very dangerous man ;)

Your correct, the only reason I didn't is because I had 3 friends there and another 40-50 people walked past, it's a busy hiking spot in LA.

So because I had that going for me, I was a asshole, making fun of their protocol and pointing out their mistakes- like telling me a person with my name is a fugitive. When he didn't have my name correct, I knew I was dealing with rookies. No back up unit.

Now in Vegas those cops don't play-they shoot. You can be sure I would have kept my fat mouth shut. I just knew this particular day I had the best of it.

People on the other side of the street who I never saw in my life were yelling at them-pig, wasting $$, go bust a real criminal. It was very interesting to see the publics attitude torwards the police. I had never seen that before.

My situation was a joke compared to Joshua's bust, I certainly wouldn't acted like I did.

It's funny I been cuffed up 2 times in my entire life. In 05 cause I didn't have the sticker on my plate, it was in the front console & because the whole plate was in the front seat. Kinda funny I get cuffed twice with about the lowest infractions possible.

I just wanted to clear up that my ordeal was nothing and point out how broken law enforcement is, I don't want derail this thread, I just thought it was relivant to the OP, who I know and is a very dangerous man ;)

That's certainly an interesting story. Cuffing you for not having a sticker on your plate is pretty bogus if you ask me. Sucks that you had to deal with 2 rookies that didn't know what they're doing.

What's funny is a lot of my friends have been plenty angry for me, and I am not a cop-basher. There's a lot of great stand up officers out there that really are doing good. But then there's that group that gives the rest a bad name.

Horrible story, generally any deputy/officer rifding a motorcycle is not a newbie they just specifically work traffic (they have a wheeled arrow underneath their side patch). He probably misread one of the letters on your plate and came back as a hit. I would say an honest mistake but a total dick move on his part to cite you on the infraction. I would have called him out on that.

On the bright side, I would be glad there are some cops actually doing there job nowadays instead of avoiding criminals/liability (which some are doing).

If you feel totally dicked over by a cop, have no hesitation to make him call out his watch Seargent to the scene. It might take a while but you will be heard and sleep better that night. At the end of the day Cops are human, they fcuk up and make mistakes too.

Supercar Ace I hate to ask but what race are you? I am wondering if that played any roll in how you were treated (cuffs and number of responding officers).

Supercar Ace I hate to ask but what race are you? I am wondering if that played any roll in how you were treated (cuffs and number of responding officers).

At the end of the 2nd to last paragraph in original post, he pretty much implied he is black (saying the police in his case should have made sure this couldn't be turned into another race related news story of an innocent or potentially innocent man.) I.e. Make damn sure he is guilty and it's definitely a stolen car before detaining the person, not a simple clerical error...

And LV Eric, thats hilarious - I absolutely love it! :)

Thanks for sharing.

I wonder....if your demeanor had been more upset rather than calm - would have reacted differently? Do common criminals stay calm when being arrested (cause it's happened to them before and they know the drill)? or do they get irate and act as though they are innocent and being wrongly accused?

Goes both ways, and I can speak from personal experience.

Naturally, some criminals who are caught red handed will try to make excuses & talk their way out of it - human nature. They think they can "convince" the detective (or beat cop.)

Often times like you said, they know the drill. Handcuffed, brought to local jail, fingerprinted, booked in is no surprise & they were expecting it at some point. Why fight it and get mad?

But when interrogated for a very serious crime the very vocal people who are adament about being innocent are (usually) not guilty - that 2nd degree murder or armed robbery charge is completely ludicrous!!

The silent, non-confrontational are generally coming to terms at that time with what they have done and now accused of.

Of course these are generalizations but that should help you to better understand the answer to your question. ;)