$15hr Fast Food Workers

Tara

http://www.ibtimes.com/fight-15-scores-win...ay-hike-2020672

:eusa_wall:

“We need that raise, my man,” says Ramirez, 52, an employee who's worked at the same Subway restaurant in midtown Manhattan for the past 10 years, where he earns the state minimum, now $8.75 an hour. “We bust our a-- up in here.”

Learn to speak correctly and take that 10 years of customer service experience to a different job that will pay more but may require you to do more than put meat and cheese on bread.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.ibtimes.com/fight-15-scores-win...ay-hike-2020672

:eusa_wall:

Learn to speak correctly and take that 10 years of customer service experience to a different job that will pay more but may require you to do more than put meat and cheese on bread.

Exactly. Learn to speak professionally. Learn how to write a resume. 10 years of customer service(which he has, but probably isnt the best at it) could easily get you a $15/hr+ call center job.

Exactly. Learn to speak professionally. Learn how to write a resume. 10 years of customer service(which he has, but probably isnt the best at it) could easily get you a $15/hr+ call center job.

Agreed.

Baristas don't count

If they are hot, nude, body painted baristas like in that Nestlé commercial, I'm ok with $15 an hour, otherwise no. Those jobs are intended to be stepping stones, not careers. I went to Five Guys last night and there is one chick there that has been there for like 5 years, whereas everyone else moves on, and I wanted to just say "Why do you still work here???".

If they are hot, nude, body painted baristas like in that Nestlé commercial, I'm ok with $15 an hour, otherwise no. Those jobs are intended to be stepping stones, not careers. I went to Five Guys last night and there is one chick there that has been there for like 5 years, whereas everyone else moves on, and I wanted to just say "Why do you still work here???".

Porter is a hot nude body painted barista.

Key points of the seattle article:

- Wage became a burden on businesses

- They started cutting hours to even out the loss

- Raised prices to make up for it as well

- Now workers get less hours, prices for things raised and people have a "false sense of hope"

Gee whiz, you mean a business owner who is forced to raise their wages is going to cut back on hours and raise prices to make up for the lost profit that was just forced on them? Shocking. It's almost like that's what people predicted would happen.

I like the hot body baristas idea though.

Key points of the seattle article:

- Wage became a burden on businesses

- They started cutting hours to even out the loss

- Raised prices to make up for it as well

- Now workers get less hours, prices for things raised and people have a "false sense of hope"

Gee whiz, you mean a business owner who is forced to raise their wages is going to cut back on hours and raise prices to make up for the lost profit that was just forced on them? Shocking. It's almost like that's what people predicted would happen.

I like the hot body baristas idea though.

Don't forget that workers were asking for less hours so they can still collect public assistance. "I want more money, but not enough where I am not eligible for any hand outs"

Those jobs are intended to be stepping stones, not careers. I went to Five Guys last night and there is one chick there that has been there for like 5 years, whereas everyone else moves on, and I wanted to just say "Why do you still work here???".

Somewhere on a Five Guys forum - "I worked last night and there is one dude that's been coming in for like 5 years, whereas everyone else has moved on, and I wanted to just say "Why are you still coming here???"

IMHO what we have is an economic system that has huge holes. Previously we had industries providing a path to better paying jobs, now someone either has a job or is broke and looking. Every profession, lawyers & doctors included, is looked at as a commodity and reduced to hourly workers. I agree the fast food industry will not be able to maintain the current system without major changes. Automated stores become a possibility; the economic system will make adjustments and move on.

Don't forget that workers were asking for less hours so they can still collect public assistance. "I want more money, but not enough where I am not eligible for any hand outs"

Thank you that's the key right there.

:rant: Give me more money but less hours so I can still get my free handouts.

I don't call that underprivileged, I call that LAZY!

Back in my early twenties, I lived in a small townhouse, which was a decent size and rent was really not that bad. Good little neighborhood and pretty quiet. Apparently there's something around here, not sure if state or if it's a local non-profit that helps single parents get housing for $1, I guess it's a drawing of some sort. The key thing is they have to be under a specific income amount, etc. This one girl had moved into one of the town houses next to us and was bragging about it and how she could get away with it if she only worked for so much income per month, could still apply for food stamps, pay $1 for rent and still collect child support from the father (who she eventually convinced to come live with her, and still collect from) because it wasn't considered "income". Just wow.

She basically thought she was a badass for milking the system so she could barely work, mostly stay home all day and do nothing. She tried to shove a resume my way once and told me that I should "recommend her where I work because that's what neighbors do." and he had a laundry list of jobs that she would accept and quit within a month or two. I just threw it in the garbage. I hate people like that. Entitlement up to her eyeballs.

fcuking lazy indeed.

Do not get me started about wages here, I've paid and still pay numerous times $400/8 hour shift for construction laboring jobs which I'd call 99% unskilled, you'd think I would at least get some reliability, think again!

Somewhere on a Five Guys forum - "I worked last night and there is one dude that's been coming in for like 5 years, whereas everyone else has moved on, and I wanted to just say "Why are you still coming here???"

Lol, I'd be a fatty if I went there that often.

I have workers now who make $11.00 an hour + overtime, who cannot qualify for Obummercare assistance, as they are told they make too much $. They come to me and ask me to pay them under the table, and are shocked when I tell them that's absolutely not going to happen. So they end up working less hours in order to cut their paychecks. Another favorite is when they come and ask, when are we going to $15.00 minimum wage, and I tell them 2021.

Most of these people are truly ignorant, and don't realise that it really doesn't matter what the minimum wage gets set at, being a minimum wage employee, will always mean you receive the bare minimum, as costs of everything will be inflated in accordance, government assistance will additionally be taken away, because now by government standards you make too much money to qualify. Then it takes years of lobbying to change government standards and the whole circle jerk starts all over again. Who benefited? Government.

Not to mention, business's will close, they will fire employees, business will be forced to operate on less employees, and those employees will then complain again that they are working too hard.. and off they go increasing our welfare costs..

The minimum wage increase in San Francisco caused a huge uproar because it led to the closing of a very beloved local bookstore and the owner blamed the minimum wage increase, for which he caught a lot of heat from the proponents of it. I believe the majority of the public supports a minimum wage increase overall nationally however, but I also chalk that up to misunderstanding about it.

The political Left support a higher minimum wage for two reasons generally:

1) The Do-Gooders who don't realize what they're doing and just want to help people

2) The special interests, such as the unions, who fully realize what they're doing but don't care as it benefits them. Unions love minimum wages because they artificially increase the price of cheaper non-union labor and thus price them out of the market and also a lot of union contracts are tied to the prevailing minimum wage, so when the minimum wage goes up, money to the union goes up

And since the public unions are the growth sector in unions today, Democrats in particular love minimum wages and it means more money going to the Democratic party. It's a racket as with the public unions, it means an indirect robbing of the public treasury by the Democratic party: Taxpayer money goes to the unions who give it to the Democrats.

Big businesses also often support a higher minimum wage because it hurts their smaller business competition. For example, the entire National Retail Federation is against a national minimum wage hike but Wal-Mart is for it (because they "care").

Not to mention, business's will close, they will fire employees, business will be forced to operate on less employees, and those employees will then complain again that they are working too hard.. and off they go increasing our welfare costs..

Also full-time jobs get turned into part-time jobs.

It's another example that government is as dumb as minimum wage workers.

Get paid more and the poor will pay more due to inflation. Net-net, same shit. Those people will always be paying above their means, racking up debt.

Should have listened to Milton Friedman!

All people should read Milton Friedman's Free to Choose and Capitalism and Freedom and Thomas Sowell's Basic Economics, Applied Economics, and Economic Facts and Fallacies. Even if one is more inclined to be a leftist or is a leftist and still remains so after reading the books, they will at least have a much better understanding of the Right and thus that the Right's resistance to their ideas isn't based on not caring or being evil as they often think.