Letter to Lambo

Hey All,

I am a car guy at heart. I also love Lamborghini. I drive a 560-2.

From my perspective this may be controversial but I feel Lamborghini has lost its way recently.

I have loved basically every model until the Aventador and Huracan. For me Lambo stands for audacious, raw and unbridled vehicle experience. It seems like the last two major models have not fully embraced this and they are going the wrong direction.

The Aventador is, by my view, one of the best if not the best looking supercar around. They nailed the look (though I wish it were sized smaller). The H I still dont like the look but have to admit if they were going for a daily driver possible car they nailed it.

I am not an expert on the Vent or H but have driven both.

My issue is the Vent seems to be widely variable in both handling characteristics (coming from multiple sources who have driven multiple) and quality. I was at a shop the other day and was looking at a silver LP700. The paint was worse than the worst I have seen on any other car above 40k. Blotchy, sloppy and just overall terrible. Asked sales guy if I was seeing things, he looked and said, nope you are right. Implying not a rare occurrence.

The H is, for me far too safe. It lacks the scare factor that I love about mine. Also the styling was clearly taken the safe (lets make it so it still looks ok in 10 years) look. Very quick car still and comfy.

Thing is I dont want my Lamborghini to be comfy. I want to be strapped to a rocket attached to a bull and hold on for dear life.

Additionally they have purposely built the cars to push/understeer. Frankly understeer is the most boring thing and is only done to keep drivers from stuffing it to hard as a bad driver can get out of understeer easier than oversteer. Cars set up to understeer make me want to puke. Why on earth would they do this to a brand positioned as they are?

Secondly they ditched the iconic gated shifter. Huge mistake IMO. I am not a pro racecar driver where .5 seconds a lap matters. I would rather be slower and enjoy the connection and driving experience.

Understand and appreciate there are folks who just prefer paddles. Thats cool. For me that snick-click gear change and having three pedals is so much more rewarding.

In a sense I am worried Lambo is going into the same trap Ferrari did during the 512TR era. Make it look sexy as hell but the driving experience is secondary. It would break my heart to see the Marque relegated to strip cruisers and not driving machines.

If Lambo keeps this course I will either not buy a newer lambo again and switch marques. The Porsche GT2RS for 2018 looks great and rumors inside porsche are that it may come in manual. If so I may add it to the stable or sell my beloved LP560.

Am I alone in this? Am I crazy? I know I wouldnt trade straight my 560-2 for a new loaded Vent SV or a loaded H, the analog gated shifter rwd lightweight 560-2 is more "valuable" to me.

Josh

Prepare for the onslaught of fanboys foaming at the mouth for you daring desecrating the marque by suggesting its lost its way :lol2:

Truth be told, all valid points. I'm more of a fan of the Aventador, but it doesn't mean you are wrong on your concerns.

It's all about the numbers now, not the passion. Appeal to the widest market, sell the most cars. I get it, it's not complex economics.

The ones who build the dreams by today's standards are the small boutique places e.g. Pagani and Keoniggsegg. Everything ebbs and flows, so hopefully they come back, time will tell.

Many points I agree with, as per one of my post on some thread a few days ago. It's really gotten to me. I am hoping the LP580-2 will make me want a current Lamborghini, hopefully I'll test-drive one in spring. Annoying that they changed the nose, as I think the LP610-4 actually looks epic, its perfect! One of the most beautiful supercars ever.

Prepare for the onslaught of fanboys foaming at the mouth for you daring desecrating the marque by suggesting its lost its way :lol2:

Truth be told, all valid points. I'm more of a fan of the Aventador, but it doesn't mean you are wrong on your concerns.

It's all about the numbers now, not the passion. Appeal to the widest market, sell the most cars. I get it, it's not complex economics.

The ones who build the dreams by today's standards are the small boutique places e.g. Pagani and Keoniggsegg. Everything ebbs and flows, so hopefully they come back, time will tell.

Figured it would be controversial. I am not denigrating anyones preference on what they purchase. The A and H are awesome machines and respect them for that. Just, personally, they dont flip that switch for me as far as what I want in a driving experience.

Maybe I am just a special snowflake in a blizzard =)

Lamborghini is no longer the boutique exotic that it once was. It's now a hi-end consumer product rather than a master piece that was the result of --- at least legend has it --- rivalry and passion. Like all consumer products, everything has to be factored in for cost and marketability. And maximizing sales and profits are the only purposes as the shareholders must be kept happy. Ironically, it's the reality that we must deal with and more or less accept as boutique exotics are priced in the stratosphere now. And we had witnessed how survivable independent manufacturers would be as they will simply be bought out eventually. Not necessarily a bad thing per se as they will then be infused with the funding required for R&D and advance in QC. But eventually it too will become a consumer product.

Different strokes for different folks.

Your opinions are valid since they're your opinions and thoughts. No one should flame you for sharing your thoughts.

I personally have driven all the newer ones such as LP560-4, LP570-4, LP610-4, LP700-4 and can't wait to drive my LP750-4...so far I enjoy LP570 the most and LP610 second.

It comes down to your personal preference, I am not consumed by the philosophy and or history of a certain object or brand if I enjoy what's right in front of me, and so you can see how different some of us are, the 560/550-2 Gallardo variants are my least favorite in the range and you wouldn't swap one for an Aventador or a Huracan, that doesn't make you wrong, it's what YOU like, different strokes!

The greatest thing is that you have the opportunity to own a Lambo you love and enjoy! When the 580 hits the streets have a go at that you might just like it just as much as your 560-2.

Different strokes for different folks.

Your opinions are valid since they're your opinions and thoughts. No one should flame you for sharing your thoughts.

I personally have driven all the newer ones such as LP560-4, LP570-4, LP610-4, LP700-4 and can't wait to drive my LP750-4...so far I enjoy LP570 the most and LP610 second.

I love all things about my lambos (4th aventador on order!!) love love love these cars!!!

But>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

in 2012 I bought an aventador and it was 1 year before there was an exhaust upgrade (software) and I rode 30k miles in that car and it sounded like a prius. You cannot (I REPEAT CANNOT) sell these things sounding like that. I was laughed at by everyone from 460 rari owners to Gallardo owners. It sounded like a goddamn prius then everyone use aftermarket exhaust etc

I just got the upgrade and love the upgrade. But how would they sell me a car that sounded like that and every single (EVERY ONE WITHOUT QUESTION AND WITH NO EXCEPTIONS WHATSOEVER) EVERYONE HATED THE QUIET SOUND

WHAT WERE THEY THINKING

I love all things about my lambos (4th aventador on order!!) love love love these cars!!!

But>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

in 2012 I bought an aventador and it was 1 year before there was an exhaust upgrade (software) and I rode 30k miles in that car and it sounded like a prius. You cannot (I REPEAT CANNOT) sell these things sounding like that. I was laughed at by everyone from 460 rari owners to Gallardo owners. It sounded like a goddamn prius then everyone use aftermarket exhaust etc

I just got the upgrade and love the upgrade. But how would they sell me a car that sounded like that and every single (EVERY ONE WITHOUT QUESTION AND WITH NO EXCEPTIONS WHATSOEVER) EVERYONE HATED THE QUIET SOUND

WHAT WERE THEY THINKING

TUV standards? My car is quiet until valves open at 4k. Looking at exhausts now. If anyone has a dyno sheet before/after for the Lambo Super Trofeo exhaust would love to see it.

It is definitely personal preference. I am sure it was said about the Diablo to Murci.

Lambo's are a naturally an under steering car.. They have more weight in the rear and less in the front and they will def understeer under power. You can still corner the car well with proper braking, but if you are not on a track "understeer" really doesn't matter.

Gated shifters are a thing of the past and that is why anything with a manual box is going up in value and not coming back down.

With all that said, I think many of us have mentioned the love of the feel of a raw lamborghini and the experience you get to enjoy while driving a Manual Gear Box Lambo.

As new cars come the old ones seem to get left in the dust with numbers.. They aren't as perform happy etc., but to an enthusiast that loves cars the old ones that may be slower, harder to drive, and less happy to go 200mph doesn't matter. Each car has it's own charm. It's own Charisma. The direct feeling you get when driving mechanical cars will never be replaced. Newer cars are meant more to make the owner feel powerful. Older cars we meant to be man handled and properly driven. It was the car that was powerful and the driver tamed it.

It is definitely personal preference. I am sure it was said about the Diablo to Murci.

Lambo's are a naturally an under steering car.. They have more weight in the rear and less in the front and they will def understeer under power. You can still corner the car well with proper braking, but if you are not on a track "understeer" really doesn't matter.

Gated shifters are a thing of the past and that is why anything with a manual box is going up in value and not coming back down.

With all that said, I think many of us have mentioned the love of the feel of a raw lamborghini and the experience you get to enjoy while driving a Manual Gear Box Lambo.

As new cars come the old ones seem to get left in the dust with numbers.. They aren't as perform happy etc., but to an enthusiast that loves cars the old ones that may be slower, harder to drive, and less happy to go 200mph doesn't matter. Each car has it's own charm. It's own Charisma. The direct feeling you get when driving mechanical cars will never be replaced. Newer cars are meant more to make the owner feel powerful. Older cars we meant to be man handled and properly driven. It was the car that was powerful and the driver tamed it.

Thank You! I kinda like the feeling of the car is trying to kill me sometimes and if I botch a shift I am going into a wall. Joy of Machine

You (and most on here) are speaking as an enthusiast. We are in the minority. Lamborghini did not sell many manual LP Gallardos or LP640 Murcis, Ferrari did not sell many manual 430s, 599s, etc. If the demand was still there and the profitability was there, they would still make them.

It's also relative. A lot of people thought Lamborghini lost the "it" factor after the Diablo (i.e. the Murci was too much Audi). Others thought the brand was tainted by a "mass produced" Gallardo. More (like yourself) are saying Lambo is losing it now. Nobody is wrong; it's preference.

As far as styling is concerned, I feel that a lot of new "supercars" out now will not age well, but some feel the Huracan and Aventador are the best looking exotics on the market. Again, some didn't like the Diablo after the Countach, Murci after Diablo, etc.

Bottom line - enthusiasts do not make up a company's entire demographic, and when "enthusiast cars" come out (LP580, Cayman GT4, etc.), it is a treat for us.

Just my two cents...

Didn't everyone say the same thing about the Murcielago and Gallardo?

:iamwithstupid:

I respect your opinion but disagree. Having driven the Aventador and Huracan I think they are fantastic machines and reflect what a Lamborghini should be in the modern era.

Lambo is no longer an independent boutique manufacturer. Selling cars pay bills and keeps shareholders happy. Making enthusiast cars doesn't sell cars.

I think Lambo is giving it a good go considering the circumstances.

Yes, the brand has changed (and is changing), and I have mixed feelings like most.... but the brand is alive and strong - and that makes a bold statement.

Lamborghini is no longer the boutique exotic that it once was. It's now a hi-end consumer product rather than a master piece that was the result of --- at least legend has it --- rivalry and passion. Like all consumer products, everything has to be factored in for cost and marketability. And maximizing sales and profits are the only purposes as the shareholders must be kept happy. Ironically, it's the reality that we must deal with and more or less accept as boutique exotics are priced in the stratosphere now. And we had witnessed how survivable independent manufacturers would be as they will simply be bought out eventually. Not necessarily a bad thing per se as they will then be infused with the funding required for R&D and advance in QC. But eventually it too will become a consumer product.

Totally understand the economics but for me its sad. I want my car built by people who get it and are car freaks also. As mentioned K-Egg, Pagani, etc are filling that but I don't have the paper yet for that. Soon though

I may agree lambos can be naturally understeering but weight balance isnt that off in my car but havent checked other models in detail. Think 45/55% but gonna put her on scales soon . Also recall press conferences where they said they purposely built in understeer. Why would they do this? For me and most people I know understeer is zero fun. Hanging the tail out total fun. Nothing like some killer power oversteer imo.

Wasn't saying you couldnt drive a car that leans to pushing fast, just that its boring and personally makes me ill.

I have yet to LOVE any DCT clutch car. My 6sp gallardo is the most fun I've ever had driving a car with my FGT right behind it. With that said, I can't get over the looks and sound of an Aventador. That's getting added to the fleet next... Worst car I've ever owned (twice) was an early Diablo. They drive so bad, lol...

To each their own!

All I have to say is: Huracan SL. It's possibly going to be RWD and I think way wilder than a G SL.

I hope your predictions are true. Fender flares, 335's and rwd would be a killer ride. Still doesnt give me my gated shifter fix. Would definitely consider. Just pray they resurrect the manual.

Understand take rate on manual is 1/100 cars but keeping it says a lot about the Marques relationship with consumers. I would actually pay more for a manual instead of dct. Issue on H is interior wasnt built to accomodate a stick.

As stated its these special edition "drivers cars" that push to the enthusiast crown. Can guarantee if lambo did run of 30-50ish rwd SL cars in manual the dealerships couldn't sell fast enough. I would seriously look at an LP6XX-2 SL in manual weighing 3000-3100. Likely would deposit for early car.

How epic would that be? Otherwise Im going porsche it looks. Or just keep mine. That GT2RS is gonna be bananas. Rumors are 3000 pounds, 700hp thrbo, rwd. Manual is still in debate.

Car manufacturers simply survive on the $. They have to appeal to the masses or else get taken out. All the companies suffer these pressures. I was a BMW fan for 20+ years - M3, M5, M6. When they went turbo, I haven't bought one since. I hopped on the Ferrari train and again stopped with the 16M - fastest SCT at 60 ms. Then Ferrari went DCT and now is going turbo, not interested. Porsche went floppy paddles long ago and is hanging on to a few manuals in production. I'll stop with the CGT. To me the CGT design is timeless when you look at each aerodynamic curve of each body panel. I never fancied the newer angular designs of the 458, Aventador, etc.

As enthusiasts, we all long for the visceral emotive driving experience. We want to feel the car and let the blood fill with adrenaline. Try a Lotus - you feel everything. Sadly though manuals are a dying breed. Everyone should own and keep one forever.

Regarding understeer, I will say my 16M pushes like a banshee. Lambo and Ferrari do this now simply out of safety. If they let unexperienced mass drivers try to harness some 500 hp, there would be a lot more wrecks. Look at what happens to CGTs and FGTs - too much power with direct steering and .....crash!

I'm with you - I long for the mechanical era. But sadly, it is an era of the past.

But that is why I will keep the cars that I enjoy that provide that visceral driving experience.

Car manufacturers simply survive on the $. They have to appeal to the masses or else get taken out. All the companies suffer these pressures. I was a BMW fan for 20+ years - M3, M5, M6. When they went turbo, I haven't bought one since. I hopped on the Ferrari train and again stopped with the 16M - fastest SCT at 60 ms. Then Ferrari went DCT and now is going turbo, not interested. Porsche went floppy paddles long ago and is hanging on to a few manuals in production. I'll stop with the CGT. To me the CGT design is timeless when you look at each aerodynamic curve of each body panel. I never fancied the newer angular designs of the 458, Aventador, etc.

As enthusiasts, we all long for the visceral emotive driving experience. We want to feel the car and let the blood fill with adrenaline. Try a Lotus - you feel everything. Sadly though manuals are a dying breed. Everyone should own and keep one forever.

Regarding understeer, I will say my 16M pushes like a banshee. Lambo and Ferrari do this now simply out of safety. If they let unexperienced mass drivers try to harness some 500 hp, there would be a lot more wrecks. Look at what happens to CGTs and FGTs - too much power with direct steering and .....crash!

I'm with you - I long for the mechanical era. But sadly, it is an era of the past.

But that is why I will keep the cars that I enjoy that provide that visceral driving experience.

CGT and FGT are on my goal list. If you (or anyone else) is local to socal would love to meet up sometime. Just a ride would be great. Even without those I always love meeting enthusiasts. Pm me anyone local. I am in San Diego but in OC-LA quite a bit for business.

Good post