Aventador LP750-SV Motor Trend Test

lambornima

Link: http://www.motortrend.com/news/2015-lambor...st-test-review/

Did very well on track despite what the individual performance measures (ie skidpad, braking, etc) would show.

Results:

0-60: 2.6 seconds

1/4 mile: 10.4 @135 mph

Willow Spring: 1:25.42

Weight: 3900 lbs

Their numbers for 650S Spider and 675LT for comparison:

650S:

0-60: 3.0 seconds

1/4 mile: 10.7 @134 mph

Willow Spring: 1:25.88

Weight: 3239 lbs

675LT:

0-60: 3.0

1/4 mile: 10.5 @ 140 mph

Willow Spring: 1:24.29

Weight: 2993 lbs

Thanks for the stats...

Why is the Aventador so heavy...my daily driver Nissan Maxima was lighter than 3900...very pathetic for a super car.

Thanks for the stats...

Why is the Aventador so heavy...my daily driver Nissan Maxima was lighter than 3900...very pathetic for a super car.

I'm wondering if the size of the N/A V12 is weighing it down, substantially.

I'm wondering if the size of the N/A V12 is weighing it down, substantially.

Interesting you mention that....I was thinking the same thing. Its the only outlier here....everything else is same in these cars. For a small company like Lamborghini it costs too much to develop a new engine so they keep using the old V12 but clearly its now starting to show its limitations.

Interesting you mention that....I was thinking the same thing. Its the only outlier here....everything else is same in these cars. For a small company like Lamborghini it costs too much to develop a new engine so they keep using the old V12 but clearly its now starting to show its limitations.

Actually it is NOT the same old Block....they have re-designed the V12, it is not the same...how much difference I am not sure, but it was re-designed. I am sure others have more info on this then I do.

Actually it is NOT the same old Block....they have re-designed the V12, it is not the same...how much difference I am not sure, but it was re-designed. I am sure others have more info on this then I do.

Bingo. I believe, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, but i thought it was a redesign off the same architecture, could be clean-sheet though, I don't follow the brand like I used to.

That being said, the R&D costs would come from VAG which has/had deep pockets, but with the "Diesel Gate" is my guess is certain advancements will get curbed. They want to play the N/A card as long as they can to maximize the return on it, and placate to that crowd a bit.

Interestingly enough, I'll be curious to see how much lighter than can make the car. Even with all the dry carbon and proprietary carbon goodness it's still heavy. I mean it's a big car for what it is. You compare it to a 911 or a McLaren or whatever, it looks huge. I wonder what comes after the Aventador if it will have a more narrow track and closer in size to the Huracan? Could you imagine a Huracan sized car with a V12? N/A or not, that would be a riot.

What strikes me is how close the Huracan is to the SV, in terms of performance. Pretty remarkable.

What strikes me is how close the Huracan is to the SV, in terms of performance. Pretty remarkable.

Yeah, there is no discrediting that. I'm shocked they let that happen, or even designed it that way. My guess is they have a rabbit in the hat for the next halo car.

I wonder what comes after the Aventador if it will have a more narrow track and closer in size to the Huracan? Could you imagine a Huracan sized car with a V12? N/A or not, that would be a riot.

When the G was on the way out I remember DoctaM3 and I throwing around ideas on what would be the last special edition. I was hoping they would drop a de-tuned V12 in it and call it the LP-600.

If you stay N/A you gonna have mimic this car (below) to keep up the much lighter turbo cars. That 509 lb foot of torque is only so capable of launching nearly 4k lbs around. Just no way around it....or Lamborghini is going to have to start a Big Block V12 program. 10 liters is a good start. Yes their are other factors, but that is the crux of the problem IMHO.

2016_02_19_00_08_12_945005089.jpeg

Quite impressive numbers. It still can put a good fight with this turbocharged lightweight missiles.

:iamwithstupid: and the electric assisted hyper cars!

v-12 is a great engine but not the most efficient for power/weight ratio. especially considering modern tech ttv8 can generate similar power........ it seems the mac LT in world would be faster...notice the higher 1/4 trap speed... rwd vs awd...

In all honesty who cares that is weighs 3900 pounds? How many of us plan on professionally racing this thing? It's a loud, bada$$ V-12 that goes faster than just about anything out there, the doors go up, and it looks cooler than anything else on the road. I think Lambo has succeeded in making the most exciting car on the road and it looks like they had fun doing it. :eusa_dance:

why such misplaced assumptions on blaming the V12 for 1,000 pounds of weight ?! The difference including the liquid/oil/cooling etc, will be max 100kg (220pounds) surely.

Add to that the 4wd system, another 100kg max?

Where is all the other extra fat coming from?

Standard LP700 was 20-30kg HEAVIER than the LP670-4 SV (with e-gear, so a manual is another 40kg lighter again).

why such misplaced assumptions on blaming the V12 for 1,000 pounds of weight ?! The difference including the liquid/oil/cooling etc, will be max 100kg (220pounds) surely.

Add to that the 4wd system, another 100kg max?

Where is all the other extra fat coming from?

Standard LP700 was 20-30kg HEAVIER than the LP670-4 SV (with e-gear, so a manual is another 40kg lighter again).

Yep. Nothing wrong with the Lambo V12...I'm willing to bet that torque band on the TTV8 is quite a bit fatter...and 700 lb anchor kills it...

You don't see NHRA Pro Stock guys weighing an absurd amount....regardless of the max effort n/a big blocks efficiency. Weight kills performance. But like a lot of others have mentioned it's still getting it with its numbers and portlyness.

UGR have had more success with the smaller models for a reason...besides the initial cost of an Aventador....

In all honesty who cares that is weighs 3900 pounds? How many of us plan on professionally racing this thing? It's a loud, bada$$ V-12 that goes faster than just about anything out there, the doors go up, and it looks cooler than anything else on the road. I think Lambo has succeeded in making the most exciting car on the road and it looks like they had fun doing it. :eusa_dance:

:iamwithstupid:

Lambo still does crazy the best!

It's fast enough, loud enough and certainly crazy enough, the SV is the mad man in a sea of straight suits and that's why I love it!

It's fast enough, loud enough and certainly crazy enough, the SV is the mad man in a sea of straight suits and that's why I love it!

Couldn't say it any better myself :)

:iamwithstupid: Exactly. SV, 50th anniversary and even the standard Aventador, they all look like a million bucks and their performances are not exactly shabby either. Dare I even go as far as to say they are one of the best deal around on a $ vs. performance & looks basis. Sure, the 0-60 in X.X secs will always be a benchmark as would the Nurburgring time etc... But why are we being so academic especially when we are talking about 1/10th of second of less. Can this be achieved in the real world with "regular" drivers on regular roads and either way, does it really matter at all? No trophies are given as it's not a Grand Prix. Sounds like a pissing contest to me. The owners' car, their money, their pride and joy; Q.E.D. Besides, I don't think I'd ever come across someone not liking the look and/or the performance of the A either.

If you stay N/A you gonna have mimic this car (below) to keep up the much lighter turbo cars. That 509 lb foot of torque is only so capable of launching nearly 4k lbs around. Just no way around it....or Lamborghini is going to have to start a Big Block V12 program. 10 liters is a good start. Yes their are other factors, but that is the crux of the problem IMHO.

10 liters? LOL, love it.

I know it's joking around, but in keeping with the high rev nature of the car, at some point you'll have to increase the cylinder count to 16 in order to keep a high redline.

v-12 is a great engine but not the most efficient for power/weight ratio. especially considering modern tech ttv8 can generate similar power........ it seems the mac LT in world would be faster...notice the higher 1/4 trap speed... rwd vs awd...

Don't compare N/A V12 to FI V8 (or even FI F6). If it were purely up to power/weight ratios, one could make an argument against any naturally aspirated motor (maybe).

Besides the sound and balance, once you get past a displacement level, you'll need more cylinders to keep the rev happy nature intact. Compare the cylinder size of a 6.2 liter V12 to that of a 3.6 V6....they are identical (maybe different bore/stroke). Compare a 6.2 V12 to a 6.2 V8 and the V12 has much smaller per cylinder capacity. If everything else was the same, the V8 would feel torquier and the V12 better at the top end.

This is why inherently a muscle car will always be a V8, and an exotic migrate to a V12. The V10 serves as sort of a middle ground between the two catering to both ideologies (Viper for muscle, Gallardo/CGT for revs). There are other items like cross plane versus flat plane crank, OHV versus OHC that play into this as well.

But throttle response, sound.....tough to beat in N/A. If you have "enough" power, then NA IMO is better.

Exactly.

Who really buys a Lamborghini for track work anyways?

That it can throw down very competitive lap times is impressive on its own.

What matters more is the actual feel of the car.

The day Lambo drops the V12 entirely out of the lineup (god forbid it happens), is the day it suddenly DIES. It gets relegated to just a nice looking car.

Very surprised that it was slower than the huracan. Probably would do better at a more open, larger track. 675LT trap speed is 6 mph higher than their run with the 650S spider. In Fikse's hands, could be a 9 second car...