Brexit

IanMan

Because he wanted to stay in the EU.

Yes, but why resign just because the vote didn't go his way? Does it discredit him as a leader or something?

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, but why resign just because the vote didn't go his way? Does it discredit him as a leader or something?

Wheels, I was up late and bored so I spent the last hour typing you a well thought out and thorough response.

Here it is below. Let me know if the formatting is correct. If anyone has anything to add to it I welcome it!

Wheels, I was up late and bored so I spent the last hour typing you a well thought out and thorough response.

Here it is below. Let me know if the formatting is correct. If anyone has anything to add to it I welcome it!

Har har har. Forgive my ignorance though, it is just something I am curious about.

Oil prices dropped abruptly. Wow. It it time to make money through a volatility on the stock markets.

Yup

proud.gif

Brilliant response despite the fact that I can't read what you're responding to. 😂

Those who vote out won't be affected their social benefits will still be paid.

Yes they will. They will be most affected.

Brits just shot themselves in the foot. I do sympathize with concerns over an overbearing EU, but isn't it more reasonable to push reform and transparency from within rather than leave? I can't believe a nation with a history of pragmatism such as the Brits have so easily lost their common sense.

Imo for much of the Brexit camp it was about immigration, that was one of their primary concerns. Ironically they won't have access to the common market unless they allow free movement with all that it entails namely, goods, capital and labor. They won't be able to pick and choose what free movement they allow. I also think the EU will not be very sympathetic in negociations with the UK, as they don't want others to follow suit. The UK has just lost much of its leverage in its dealings with the EU.

I wonder how accurate this is:

post-9370-1466765760_thumb.jpg

If it's true... That isn't very nice of the older generations... In a vote that can make or break the future of the country, it's not right for them to condemn young people. I wonder who'll be paying their fat pensions if younger generations have no jobs...

Regardless of the outcome, changes will start happening at the EU level of bureaucracy, politicians got the message, I hope, and I'm sure they want to avoid similar outcomes in the future. This result has emboldened many euro sceptic parties across Europe.

Lighten up. He was asking a genuine question without being an ass clown about it.

So I've seen the media report several times on a petition to ban Donald Trump from the UK for his "hate speech" regarding Muslims and illegal immigrants in general. Now they have voted to leave the EU with their largest issue seemingly being their having to abide by the relaxed laws set by the EU on immigration!! Oh the irony!

This volatility is going to make for some great trades today!

The question is; is this just the beginning of a larger peel-off, or will US markets recover sharply next week. I am on the fence as I moved my ENTIRE 401K (TSP) into Government Securities (G-fund) earlier this month, so I have been sitting on the sidelines waiting for a drop like this for weeks now. :)

Depending on where we open and how shaky things look the first 2 hours of the day, I may lock in this drop and then re-assess next week. The sharp over-reaction aside, part of me thinks this drop has a lot more steam behind it for the weeks ahead...

Absolute idiocy.

I saw interviews this morning with asshats that said they regretted their vote and would change it.

Sure the EU is a massive pain in the ass, but leaving means you lose leverage and cede Europe to Germany.

This wave of populism and xenophobia has a 1930's feel to it.

I'm sure everyone who voted for exit is a racist rube who doesn't understand that giving up your national sovereignty to a bunch of unelected bureaucrats is for their own good. Why can't the poor saps just pay their taxes and let their betters govern them?

I'm sure everyone who voted for exit is a racist rube who doesn't understand that giving up your national sovereignty to a bunch of unelected bureaucrats is for their own good. Why can't the poor saps just pay their taxes and let their betters govern them?

Shows how much you know...

Do you elect every single worker in your local and national governments, do you elect all the people in your various governments councils and commissions? On what planet do you live exactly? This myth is mainly based on the European Commission which is indeed unelected, however, the European Commission is appointed by national governments which are elected and they are also subject to approval in the European parliament which again is made up of directly elected officials from each member state, and the EC is also subject to regular review and answer to the European Parliament. Also the Commission can not make final decisions on EU law or policy. That prerogative belongs to the Council of Ministers (which is made up of ministers from the governments of each member state which are elected) and the European Parliament. So... No... You're mostly wrong.

There are other more subtle things that the Bruxelles bureaucracy is guilty of and should indeed change, things which the average poor sap has no clue about.

Biggest winner in this whole scenario is Donald Trump.

We are in an interesting time for sure. Populism is exploding and the nearsightedness of the people may have long term consequences.

Biggest winner in this whole scenario is Donald Trump.

We are in an interesting time for sure. Populism is exploding and the nearsightedness of the people may have long term consequences.

Yet the first thing the idiot tweets is that Scotland is going nuts for the vote and "they got their country back." Ironic that roughly over 60% of Scotland voted Remain. :lol2:

2 years of negotiations on how to exit. The next few months are going to be intense. Olympic summer games opening soon under the clouds of Zika virus scare and the Russian doping scandal in a not-quite-ready-to-host country. And the US will also have a new president.

Interesting times ahead...

Yet the first thing the idiot tweets is that Scotland is going nuts for the vote and "they got their country back." Ironic that roughly over 60% of Scotland voted Remain. :lol2:

62% of Scots voted to remain. It now seems there is a movement to start another referendum to cede from England and stay in the EU. Northern Ireland might do the same.

The UK wasn't the most anti EU country in the EU. The sentiment is the EU will make an example when negotiating trade agreements with the UK to scare off other countries from attempting the same.

Shows how much you know...

Do you elect every single worker in your local and national governments, do you elect all the people in your various governments councils and commissions? On what planet do you live exactly? This myth is mainly based on the European Commission which is indeed unelected, however, the European Commission is appointed by national governments which are elected and they are also subject to approval in the European parliament which again is made up of directly elected officials from each member state, and the EC is also subject to regular review and answer to the European Parliament. Also the Commission can not make final decisions on EU law or policy. That prerogative belongs to the Council of Ministers (which is made up of ministers from the governments of each member state which are elected) and the European Parliament. So... No... You're mostly wrong.

There are other more subtle things that the Bruxelles bureaucracy is guilty of and should indeed change, things which the average poor sap has no clue about.

Where did I say every single worker in an entire government must be elected to have a democracy? Does the term straw man mean anything to you? The point is the people making the laws (or with final say over making the laws) are not put in that position directly by the people the laws govern, which is obvious from your brief description of the byzantine setup they have in place. The last I heard this Council of Ministers makes most or all of its decisions behind closed doors, without even making a transcript of its discussions available. Does that sound democratic? Now if you want to argue that it's not that much more undemocratic than the British Parliament, that may be a different issue, as the BP is not as democratic as we are here in the U.S. The EU as an economic union of some sort made sense, but the desire to transform it into a political union did not IMO.

62% of Scots voted to remain. It now seems there is a movement to start another referendum to cede from England and stay in the EU. Northern Ireland might do the same.

Saw that.

The other interesting thing will be if others follow suit to dump the EU. Who will be next, and how soon will it be? Any guess'?

Saw that.

The other interesting thing will be if others follow suit to dump the EU. Who will be next, and how soon will it be? Any guess'?

post-13077-1466793084.jpg

Saw that.

Place your bets...I'd guess France would be next to jump ship and maybe Austria running next.