Engagement ring

keevo54

Gotten to the point where I am getting prepared for marriage. Never been shopping for jewelry and don't know where to start. Pretty accomplished at shopping for cars and getting the best deal but not sure how to do it when ring shopping. Is there such thing as comparing prices when looking for the setting and diamond? I am located in GA and happy to go local or out of state if need be. Looking to spend 5-35k. I have some pictures of what the potential wife likes but not sure where to start. Any help is appreciated :).

Thanks

Gotten to the point where I am getting prepared for marriage. Never been shopping for jewelry and don't know where to start. Pretty accomplished at shopping for cars and getting the best deal but not sure how to do it when ring shopping. Is there such thing as comparing prices when looking for the setting and diamond? I am located in GA and happy to go local or out of state if need be. Looking to spend 5-35k. I have some pictures of what the potential wife likes but not sure where to start. Any help is appreciated :).

Thanks

Go see Frank Brown at Brown and Company in Roswell. I've known him for a while and bought a lot from him. He has always treated me fairly.

Thanks

I'm in the same position, though probably a little further along in the process.

Typically I prefer to support local bricks and mortar jewelry shops. For example, when it comes to watches, I never felt the 10% that I could save by buying online was worth all of the 'extras' that come from dealing with someone local and building a relationship.

The future Mrs. 12 really liked the idea of engagement ring coming in a little teal box, but the pricing of the big online diamond vendors (Bluenile, etc) is very good and makes them a very compelling alternative. When comparing pricing I've received from the local stores and Tiffany's, I'm talking about Bluenile being 50-66% less... That's enough for another watch or two for me!

The main thing is to do the research and become familiar with what makes for a quality diamond.

There are several members here who really know their stuff and I'ma looking forward to what they have to contribute :D

The MOST important part of an engagement ring is the rock. You want to figure out which cut she prefers then you need to figure out what combination of clarity carat and color you want and what to maximize in the relationships of those. The main purpose of those IMO is to show off to other girls. That's it. That usually means maximizing size but then again the clarity is an issue because being caddy they'll look closely and look for inclusions. That's my $.02. I'm sure many others here know a lot more than I do.

these guys are awesome, jamesallen.com just did a new one for my wife not too long ago with them.... they overnighted me stones to review then custom did the ring with 3D renders, etc...

Currently in the same boat looking for a ring and main 2 things I've learned so far are:

1) Stay way from the big name jewelry stores

2) Do your homework and always compare apples to apples which it comes the to 4Cs.

yup. My wife and I went to the big name joints to find what we wanted - took photos then went to the diamond district and had exactly what we want made for her. Took about a total of 2 hours and cost a fraction of what Bulgari, Tiffany etc charge. No brainer.

Currently in the same boat looking for a ring and main 2 things I've learned so far are:

1) Stay way from the big name jewelry stores

2) Do your homework and always compare apples to apples which it comes the to 4Cs.

yup. My wife and I went to the big name joints to find what we wanted - took photos then went to the diamond district and had exactly what we want made for her. Took about a total of 2 hours and cost a fraction of what Bulgari, Tiffany etc charge. No brainer.

:iamwithstupid:

This....I did the the same thing except my wife wasn't involved.

I went to a local small jewelry ship here in Dallas (McKinney) called Bella Bijou and can not recommend them enough. It's a brother and sister who sell estate jewelry and the brother Jamie makes beautiful custom rings. I was able to purchase a completely custom platinum 2.7ct ring (2ct center stone) for less than a big box store wanted to charge me for a 1.7ct white gold ring, both high quality and color diamonds.

Even though he is out of state he can work with you via phone or email. Again, I can not recommend them enough.

Speaking of, today is my wedding day!!

:iamwithstupid:

This....I did the the same thing except my wife wasn't involved.

To our wives and mistresses, may they never meet. :icon_mrgreen:

As a Pawnbroker my advise is to ONLY buy a diamond with a GIA certification. GIA and nothing else. Diamond appraisals are A MATTER OF OPINION and vary.GIA is the guru appraiser and is respected worldwide. This will insure your diamonds quality is what it states! IMO

In Atlanta , go see Jonathan Agami at Universal Diamonds. Let me know if I can help connecting you.

I went to a local small jewelry ship here in Dallas (McKinney) called Bella Bijou and can not recommend them enough. It's a brother and sister who sell estate jewelry and the brother Jamie makes beautiful custom rings. I was able to purchase a completely custom platinum 2.7ct ring (2ct center stone) for less than a big box store wanted to charge me for a 1.7ct white gold ring, both high quality and color diamonds.

Even though he is out of state he can work with you via phone or email. Again, I can not recommend them enough.

Speaking of, today is my wedding day!!

Congrats!

How did you guys know what your SO wanted? You asked directly for ideas? Asked her gfs?

Congrats!

How did you guys know what your SO wanted? You asked directly for ideas? Asked her gfs?

Thanks, what a wedding! Headed to Japan now!

As for what she wanted, I looked on her Pinterest. She has several rings pinned all the same style.

In Atlanta , go see Jonathan Agami at Universal Diamonds. Let me know if I can help connecting you.

I have a guy in Atlanta too. PM me if you want his info.

Thanks. I'll check them out

Congrats!

I asked and she showed me a few. Will probably take her to the jewelers to make sure she likes in person and just get a size bigger to surprise her. She's the one wearing it so might as well make sure its exactly what she wants.

I have a guy in Atlanta too. PM me if you want his info.

Pm sent

To our wives and mistresses, may they never meet. :icon_mrgreen:

No I wanted to surprise my wife and boy was she surprised. I had good Intel from her friends what she liked and I knew she wanted something simple.

Solitaire in a Tiffany setting.

Wedding Ring

+1 on letting her pick.

I picked one I liked. It ended up getting redone a few years later for something lower profile.

Luckily same solitaire.

No I wanted to surprise my wife and boy was she surprised. I had good Intel from her friends what she liked and I knew she wanted something simple.

Solitaire in a Tiffany setting.

Wedding Ring

Exactly what my wife wanted, 6 prong setting and all.

I really don't get the fascination with shiny stones, for some weird reason (since diamonds are girl's best friend LOL) my wife feels the same so it's impossible to buy for her.

IMO let her chose, girls say they like surprises but they really don't :icon_mrgreen: