Things that make you say DAMN!

88 1/2 QV

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 Nuclear Screwups You Won't Believe We Actually Survived.

The Tsar Bomba

tsar.jpg

During the Cold War, American and Soviet military leaders temporarily forgot why nuclear bombing yourself was a bad idea. The "nuclear weapons tests" conducted on home soil were officially for research purposes. In reality, each explosion was the military equivalent of punching your fist into your open hand and pointing at the guy whose ass is totally grass.

Anyone close enough to wonder why it was suddenly so windy and blinding were told the explosions were being set off at a safe distance. For instance, Area 51, the army base in the middle of the Nevada desert (where conspiracy theorists believe the Army is reverse-engineering UFOs), was actually one of the most active nuclear test sites in the world. Russia was able to set off their weapons in the similarly desolate region of the country known as "the part that's not Moscow."

But as technology advanced and the bombs grew bigger and more explode-y, the idea that there was such a thing as a "safe distance" was rendered ridiculous. For instance, according to the Seattle Times, "over the years the atmospheric tests conducted over America exposed a quarter-million assembled troops, plus communities downwind in Nevada and Utah, to an estimated 12 billion curies of radiation, or 148 times the release from the 1986 Chernobyl nuclear-plant meltdown."

Being the more pragmatic of the superpowers, in 1961 the Soviets decided to get all of their reckless endangerment out of the way with one test -- the Tsar Bomba, thusly named because of the Soviet tendency to put "tsar" in front of anything that's stupidly big.

300px-Tsar_tank.jpg

The Tsar tank...don't ask.

Rather than trying to keep pace with America's increasingly precise guided missile delivery systems, Russia's solution was to build and test a bomb that was so big that aim literally didn't matter. It was like losing an archery competition and throwing a hand grenade at the target to remind the winner just how little aim mattered in the face of your sheer ass-slapping lunacy.

The Tzar Bomba was so impractically big that creating a parachute to slow its descent disrupted the Soviet textile industry. If you're wondering why they needed a parachute in the first place, it's because no matter how high you dropped it from, the resulting explosion would reach up into the sky and disintegrate your plane unless you gave yourself some kind of head start. In fact, the bomb was originally supposed to be twice as big as it ended up being, but they realized that it would be impossible to drop such a bomb from an airplane without killing everyone aboard. Also, it probably would have cracked the earth like an egg.

The scaled-down version of the bomb was still big enough to cause a fireball that was seen 600 miles away, meaning if it was dropped over Manhattan, you would have been able to watch New York City burn from Virginia. Windowpanes would have been broken down through South Carolina. Even though they dropped Tsar Bomba over a deserted area in the Arctic Circle, wooden houses were destroyed and stone houses had their roofs blown off hundreds of miles away. The shock wave was so extreme that even with the parachute giving them a 20-mile head start, the plane that dropped it was knocked into a free fall for a half-mile before catching itself and continuing to get out of Dodge.

272895685_527f74048d.jpg

"if we don't try to destroy all life on earth, we'll never know if we can."

:shock:

I just threw my pet turtle against the wall.

That was the first comment on the video on youtube. Thought that was hilarious. Vid was seriously killer though...

I just threw my pet turtle against the wall.

That was the first comment on the video on youtube. Thought that was hilarious. Vid was seriously killer though...

This one's better:

later that night, a girl was fingered to death...

While I understand why people get upset when they see the politicians argue (or brag, or gloat) about reducing X budget when it literally, pales in comparison to what we are spending.... I've always been fond of the old racer adage:

Worry about the ounces and the pounds take care of themselves.

Or....

Worry about the pennies and the dollars take care of themselves.

We have to start somewhere... and even starting with the small stuff and being detail oriented is a great step in the right direction.

While I understand why people get upset when they see the politicians argue (or brag, or gloat) about reducing X budget when it literally, pales in comparison to what we are spending.... I've always been fond of the old racer adage:

Worry about the ounces and the pounds take care of themselves.

Or....

Worry about the pennies and the dollars take care of themselves.

We have to start somewhere... and even starting with the small stuff and being detail oriented is a great step in the right direction.

Good point but if you had an arrow in your chest and a splinter in your thumb removing the splinter would have no effect on whether you lived or died

Good point but if you had an arrow in your chest and a splinter in your thumb removing the splinter would have no effect on whether you lived or died

I am totally stealing that one!!!

I watched "the Warrior" yesterday. Great movie but what the fvck is up with Hardy's back muscles. Damn, they look unnatural but pretty sweet at the same time.

tom-hardy-warrior-muscles.jpg

The guy is a beast no doubt. I read that he replaced his booze and crack addiction with working out. By the size of him that he must have had a serious habit!

Cannot wait to see him in the next Batman.

A 6'11 400lb Offensive Lineman.

terrellbrown.jpg

Just give him the ball and let him run.

And yet he cant pick up a bottle of gatorade.