Anyone else sick of modifying cars?

Destructo

Perhaps I'm going through a "Allan Stage" but recently I've been bored with modifying cars. It feels like a waste of money to buy a car, then put more money into it when you can just buy a better car with what you want from the start.

I remember Dad (BMWRACER) said something to the effect some time ago, but it didn't seem to stick until now.

Who else would be just happy with a stock vehicle and leave the modifications to the actual race cars on the track?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps I'm going through a "Allan Stage" but recently I've been bored with modifying cars. It feels like a waste of money to buy a car, then put more money into it when you can just buy a better car with what you want from the start.

I remember Dad (BMWRACER) said something to the effect some time ago, but it didn't seem to stick until now.

Who else would be just happy with a stock vehicle and leave the modifications to the actual race cars on the track?

In a way I can see what you are saying, however the biggest problem is that there aren't many production cars made that do the things we want them to do with as much power as we can get by modifying them, or if such a car does exist it usually costs $1,000,000+.

Modding gives us the opportunity to do what OEMs don't have the balls (or the good sense depending on how you look at it) to do.

Alright, who stole your login and password............

Shadowman is that you?

I have a desire to mod my cars, but I have a problem. Since most of my time is spent south of the border, I don't because my cars just get fucked up down here anyways. If I had more time in the States, I would do more.

Alright, who stole your login and password............

Perfect example: I would love a Murcielago SV or a Zonda, neither of which need to be altered in any way or fashion to fulfill my needs. That's all.

Shadowman is that you?

I got a reworked Gal with new floormats for you!

Depends. I'm generally not into modifying cars at all, especially not the look. Outside of converting to a newer factory look, I dont think any body kits look even remotely as good as the stock look. Will never even find aftermarket wheels on my car. I think the factory designs are generally perfect.

In most cases with respect to performance, you can't buy the better cars for the same price. I could have bought a faster car than the TT R8, but the TT was $30K plus the value of a 14K miles R8. ~$120-125K. 560 is probably $30K more than that still, and I'd rather the look of the R8. R8 GT would do the trick, but it is $225K.

In most cases on here though, there are no stock cars that can compare to the modded ones with respect to what most people on here want -- straight line speed. I can't think of any stock cars under $1MM that go under 11s in the 1/4 even. If it's track use your after, I don't think there are many OEM cars that can really do that as well either unless you want to buy a Cup car from Porsche.

I dont know that i'm tired of modifying cars but I have realized that if I were to get rid of the Diablo there are only 2 or 3 cars that I'd be interested in. Back when I had the viper it seemed like there was a ton of cars I "wanted". Luckily I dont have the money to be doing mods right now haha!

And what cars have you been modifying to be sick of modifying?

Every time before I buy a new car I look up things I can change on it, mostly cosmetic stuff, once I get the car I can not be bothered doing anything to it in some instances not even wash it :lol2:

Every time before I buy a new car I look up things I can change on it, mostly cosmetic stuff, once I get the car I can not be bothered doing anything to it in some instances not even wash it :lol2:

:iamwithstupid: i am exactly the same..

BrianWilsonUk said "I dont think any body kits look even remotely as good as the stock look."

Are you sure about that? lol

I got the first Mansory kit on my CGT - waaaaaaaaaaay better than stock.

I wouldnt say I`m sick of modding but I do question whether I should waste time and money, I mean you buy a new car most people would murder children for and then you stick it in a shop for 4 weeks to get something done. Then put it back in to do something else -

I put lots of cash into the lambo - dont know if I would do it again. For all the money I have in mods on just 2 two cars I could of bought another 100K car.

Really depends on the make, example some cars now have gotten so strict with wheel & tire diameter changes with regards to the ECU and ABS, that in many cases heard issues about check engine lights and also some cases being thrown into fail safe mode. I haven't seen it yet on the euro cars but on most of the jap cars any air box or muffler change have resulted in power loss and various issues with check engine lights etc.

I guess the higher you go up on the price scale I think its almost best to leave it stock with the engine mods asides from the muffler/audio/appearance mods.

Just as long you're going to be using products you know that will work for your car/suv but if you dont know what your getting your self into or hybird project then you're going to get sick at the money you will dump into it.

All comes down to tastes and wallet size for certain projects, I have seen a steady trend of people spending less on after-market products for certain cars.

I am not sick of it. I've been doing it to cars and bikes for so long it is ingrained in me. I like to buy small rear wheel drive vehicles (240s, 300zx, Supras, etc) and stick big turbos or big chevy power in them. I just got done sticking an LS7 in a 240z and its soon to be turbo'd.

Also, currently working with Will and Alex on putting two turbos on two other cars. So for the next 9-12 months modding is going to be all I'm doing. It's fun, and I rarely get rid of a car I modify unless I'm ready for a new project. Knowing that, I don't feel that I waste money or time as it is a hobby of mine.

However, I guess I can understand where some people are coming from. If my cars (some do, but not close to all) had to sit in a shop for an extended period of time, I can see it getting bothersome.

It's a hobby that keeps me off of the couch, and keeps me wanting more I guess.

Best

I've had pretty good luck buying slightly modified cars at a discount and adding a few personal touches. By the time I'm ready to sell I don't take as big of a bath.

Guest Rob Burgundy
I got the first Mansory kit on my CGT - waaaaaaaaaaay better than stock.

:iamwithstupid:

Nope I havent modified enough cars or bikes to be sick of it.

I suppose I need to clarify. I support the people who want to modify, I think it's a great hobby and great business for those involved. Perhaps my personal tastes are just changing.

I think modifying is more personalization. Anyone can have a stock car, but mods good or bad individualize the vehicle.