New car to replace the Murci for winter duty

whiteout

I decided not to subject the Murci to a full winter (and too lazy to return to AWD). So I picked up a 1972 BMW 2002. It's not the best car, by any means. But it will be getting some miles on it. The previous owner rarely drove the car and stored it inside, so there's no rust. But like any old car with previous owners, there is a lot that needs to be cleaned up/updated.

The car:

4speed

70k miles

California car

Zero rust on shell, a small spot on the front of the hood

The mods:

Rota RB wheels

New carpet set

New brake pads and shoes.

Electronic Ignition

Webber 36/32 Carb

Bilstein Shocks

E30 radiator

Upgraded the tail lights and brake lights with LED

The bad:

No radio or antenna

Poor paint job by the previous owner. A lot orange peel and overspray

No center console

Exhaust rattle

Not a lot of heat coming from the heater blower

No blinkers

Missing some trim

day 1:

f632e89c.jpg

9b7b3774.jpg

528a8b5c.jpg

5ac2f2da.jpg

new tail lights:

4534af64.jpg

the two cars together, in the day:

43aebd49.jpg

center exhaust = baller!

2640456b.jpg

Nick

Jesus man are you going to drive this in a Michigan winter? Is it FWD or RWD? Looks like that could be an interesting challenge. Congrats.

Jesus man are you going to drive this in a Michigan winter? Is it FWD or RWD? Looks like that could be an interesting challenge. Congrats.

they are RWD, I drove one years ago, admittedly it wasn't in the greatest shape, the handling was spooky dangerous. Cool car though, wouldn't be my first choice for a Michigan winter, I'd stick with the Murci even if it was RWD. The BMW's body isn't galvanized, it's going to rust in minutes with all the salt they use on the roads there.

Dang... Love a 2002 and that is one nice specimen. Congrats.... love those cars!

You are going to freeze in that car in the winter. Old BMW's heaters don't work very well. Good luck.

It looks very nice - in great shape! Congrats!

Have you considered swapping their roles?

Murci = AWD = winter

BMW = RWD + OLD technology = summer

Definitely one of my dream cars to own. As with others, I'm not sure its the perfect choice for winter driving, but very cool overall. Congrats!

Here's a cool little video on one,

Murci = AWD = winter

This particular Murci is RWD.

No heat, rwd, no radio (for when you are stranded to keep you company)

Been nice knowing you. I did a South Bend, IN winter in a mercedes 300d. The heater worked though, and i put snow tires on it so good luck.

I was looking at E36 M3 coupes and 370bhp XJRs. But then I decided to go against the comfortable power and head straight for fun. I knew that I would be freezing my ass off and that the car would be a bitch to drive when I need to get from point a to b.

But then I thought about how much fun the car would be in snow. My favorite winter car so far has been a 2003 WRX wagon, the chassis would flex just enough to kick the tail out in a straight line in snow and was very manageable in snow. I like to race on frozen lakes. . . and I just picked up a go-pro. So the fun should ensue, but I will be wearing a coat.

last time I went racing on a frozen lake in a vehicle with a shitty heater

3242367725_7c77425b47.jpg

RWD. It should be a lot of fun.

they are RWD, I drove one years ago, admittedly it wasn't in the greatest shape, the handling was spooky dangerous. Cool car though, wouldn't be my first choice for a Michigan winter, I'd stick with the Murci even if it was RWD. The BMW's body isn't galvanized, it's going to rust in minutes with all the salt they use on the roads there.

I have to get the car undercoated asap. I'm trying to get all the little shit that you need for a DD done before I put the Murci away.

This car has an upgraded suspension, and some nice 205 tires. Right now it's like a go-kart with tight turns. :D

I think a 2002 would be hell in a Michigan winter, but to each his own - sounds like you're up for the challenge! Sounds like a fun car!

I think it will be.

You are going to freeze in that car in the winter. Old BMW's heaters don't work very well. Good luck.

Neat car, but isn't it going to be ICE ICE ICE COLD ?

Unless I get this heater to blow out hotter air, yes. I need to clean out the heater core (run water through it). The temp gauge reads just above cold after driving long distances, so I think it has a low temp thermostat, so I will swap that out for a standard temp one.

Yup....crashed one on ice one winter..nearly went over a bridge...was I going fast...no....I would be a bit careful here to be honest..!!

damn. I am slightly concerned about the weight issue and on snow.

This is really funny. Have you ever lived in the north during winter?

I lived in Michigan for 26 years. Right now I'm in Lansing, which doesn't get heavy snow (usually).

Murci = AWD = winter

If there wasn't salt out here, the Murci would get the AWD thrown back in it and I would keep driving it.

Could've done worse.....could've bought a Ferrari FF.

LOL

No heat, rwd, no radio (for when you are stranded to keep you company)

Been nice knowing you. I did a South Bend, IN winter in a mercedes 300d. The heater worked though, and i put snow tires on it so good luck.

I am going to pick up some winter tires (looking for some used rally equipment), so traction shouldn't be an issue.

The heater works, but in 30 degree weather, doing 75-80mph, it could only get the interior of the car to the mid 60's.

It has speakers, but no radio. I'm working on putting an amp in the car and hooking my ipod up to it. The radio stations around here SUCK.

Nick