How do you like your Crispy fried... cars??

http://jalopnik.com/this-600-000-porsche-f...dium=socialflow

k-bigpic.jpg

FYI - It was my GTR on the truck... once car was a couple of days late we finally got a call from the transport company stating that there was a fire and that the car might have some smoke damage... when i finally found the car and flew and saw it, it was quite a bit worse... deja vu...

PM me for the names of the trucking companies, which funneled through one broker, to another broker, to the final transport which did not have enough insurance to cover the load....

not good...

This is the notice that went to the owners with sensitive names taken out due to legal action which has been filed... pretty pathetic...

I have received some phone calls inquiring about my previous broadcast e mail I sent you earlier this week. I apologize if I was not clear as to its purpose but l will try to explain its ramifications more fully…

1. We have completed inspections of the six damaged cars as of last weekend. I expect that we will be able to circulate the appraisal we did to each individual owner later this week. When you get those documents, please take a look at it to verify accuracy.

2. Although we presently do not have the dollar numbers to provide, it appears for certain that the total damages for all six cars will exceed policy limits of $350,000. When such situations arise, each car owner will incur a partial loss of their financial interest in their car.

3. Neither [COMPANY NAME REMOVED] nor my company have any ownership interest in your cars. Given that even despite the loss, some residual salvage value remains of the cars, you as individual owner(s) of the cars may want to protect that remaining financial interest. We have arranged to pay the tow shop in full for the tow and storage costs to all of the six cars. If some or all of you wish to pick up your car(s) from the tow yard, all you have to do is present documentation of ownership of the car and the car will be released to you. No tow or storage fees will be presented to you by the tow yard for any of the six cars.

4. If you choose to pick up the car or otherwise dispose or sell it, you will need to do so at your own expense with your own driver, tow vehicle or other means of transportation.

5. I have spoken to the owner of the tow yard about time tables as to how long he will continue to allow the cars on his premises to not be charged additional storage fees. He promised to be "reasonable" in this respect as long as the cars are picked up as soon as possible. The daily charge he would normally be charging for a car towed to his yard is $35 per day.

6. I know that the ownership interests involved collectively for the six cars is widespread across the USA so I want to make sure you have time to remove your car(s) if you choose to do so. We will not be allowing any additional storage fees beyond 4/25/2013 in recognition of that factor.

7. Please keep in mind that tow yard operators can and do file lien rights on vehicles that are abandoned on their premises. We just want to impress upon you that you should not look upon the tow yard as a rent free storage location on a long term basis. You do not want to be surprised if one day you find out your car is no longer at the tow yard and you find out it has been sold to other(s) for whatever reason.

Most of you in this memo are probably well versed in the ramifations of tow yards and how they operate. But I just wanted to be clear that removal of your car(s) requires actions on your part and by acting promptly you can avoid any later loss of value regarding salvage. If you have any questions, please call.

Does your own insurance cover the loss?

Sucks, but I can't say I'm surprised they were under-insured.

Peak - I'm not sure if you're just having bad luck, or this is the hedge in having a fleet of cars.

edit: $350k on a load valued at +/- $1m. :shock:

WTF... kinda like a "you are SOL" email.

sorry to see this crap...hope you+your lawyers can knock it out of these bozos.

:iamwithstupid:

That is so fucked up...hopefully your personal insurance policy will cover the loss. If they couldn't afford a decent policy, there are probably little or no assets to go after.

Wow!! Unbelievable! So sorry to hear this.... I hope you you get it worked out and get what you deserve out of this... and i hope it ends up putting these clowns away. Best of luck.... Keep us updated.

The insurance seems to be an issue with all transport companies and they don't tell you unless you ask. The companies here have a limit of 250k. Sure sucks when situations like this one arise.

So sorry Peak.

The insurance seems to be an issue with all transport companies and they don't tell you unless you ask. The companies here have a limit of 250k. Sure sucks when situations like this one arise.

So sorry Peak.

So right.

My car recently went from SoCal to Washington and back and I never thought to even question his insurance. I didn't see the consignment up north, but when I got my car back there was at least $1 million worth of cars in the back of the truck.

That's terrible, I hope you can legally pursue them in order to recover the entire cost of the loss.

I would think your regular car insurance policy would cover this, it totally sucks but the owners are probably out just the cost of the deductible, hence the totally fucked up response from the shipper. They know they aren't getting sued for the deductible.

I would think your regular car insurance policy would cover this, it totally sucks but the owners are probably out just the cost of the deductible, hence the totally fucked up response from the shipper. They know they aren't getting sued for the deductible.

You are correct and that's the incentive for the dodgy transport company to underinsure themselves.

Since the car was not damaged during a drive nor was it involved in a collision, this damage should be covered under your car's comprehensive portion of the policy. BTW, who's your auto insurance for the GTR?

It's just such a headache dealing with it all!

Keep us updated!

Your car isn't insured until you call your company with a VIN and all the other pertinent info. Sadly, most uniformed buyers DON'T insure cars until they arrive.

So sorry Peak. And to add insult to injury this asshole is doing this?!

4. If you choose to pick up the car or otherwise dispose or sell it, you will need to do so at your own expense with your own driver, tow vehicle or other means of transportation.

5. I have spoken to the owner of the tow yard about time tables as to how long he will continue to allow the cars on his premises to not be charged additional storage fees. He promised to be "reasonable" in this respect as long as the cars are picked up as soon as possible. The daily charge he would normally be charging for a car towed to his yard is $35 per day.

6. I know that the ownership interests involved collectively for the six cars is widespread across the USA so I want to make sure you have time to remove your car(s) if you choose to do so. We will not be allowing any additional storage fees beyond 4/25/2013 in recognition of that factor.

Hi we fucked up your cars but fcuk you.

Sounds familiar.

The truck driver was probably driving like a grandma and out of nowhere the truck wrecked itself and caught on fire. These Gals do that kind of thing.

Takes care.

Sorry Peak. This blows.

Holy frick this blows. Glad everyone is ok and it is only cars that are damaged. I would be LIVID if I received that email. I hope your lawyers have a field day with it.

Even if you are only out the deductible AND insurance covers the rest aren't you going to get boned by have a totaled claim on your insurance. Rate will go up?

Your car isn't insured until you call your company with a VIN and all the other pertinent info. Sadly, most uniformed buyers DON'T insure cars until they arrive.

I know my insurance (Allstate) has a 30 day grace period following purchase to add a new vehicle, so if you total it on the way home from the dealer and haven't added it to your policy yet you're protected. Peak, sorry to hear you got caught up in another episode of drama!

Possibly home owners? I know when things get stolen out of your car, even if it isn't home, it is still covered by homeowners.

good luck.

First....LOL @ Allan's post!

I know my insurance (Allstate) has a 30 day grace period following purchase to add a new vehicle, so if you total it on the way home from the dealer and haven't added it to your policy yet you're protected. Peak, sorry to hear you got caught up in another episode of drama!

Second, I recently made a car purchase and the dealer would not let me drive off the lot without having the car insured prior to driving it off the lot. Apparently it is a new law in California. Im not sure if this is accurate or not, but I had to wait on my insurance agent to fax over my policy on a Saturday evening.