Grandma Died Yesterday

WheelsRCool

So I am only writing about this to share with you all a very weird thing that happened. Basically my grandma had a stroke twenty years ago (approximately) that left her paralyzed on one side of her body. She got by living on her own for quite a number of years with help provided here and there by family, but about three to four years ago, she had to go into a nursing home because she had deteriorated to the point that she could no longer take care of herself. She had cancer and it was slowly killing her.

Anyway, while in the nursing home, she was seeing a psychologist as of late, and she developed a huge crush on him and fell in love basically. But then a few weeks ago, she fell face first out of her wheelchair due to a loss of balance. She had started deteriorating more. She was okay for about another week or so, but then she began deteriorating very quickly, becoming mostly immobile and unable to move by herself or anything.

Over the past week, she reached a state of basically being a breathing corpse, or a human vegetable. Now at this point, death was supposed to be right around the door, but Granny kept hanging in there somehow, defying the odds. Either she had a very physically powerful heart or she was, despite her vegetable state, still fighting to stay alive. Some of the nursing home staff asked if there was anyone else in the family that she might be holding out for (if she was still holding out by her will). My uncle ended up bringing up the psychologist. The staff said she might be holding out for the visit from the psychologist then.

So yesterday the psychologist comes and visits her (that is his scheduled time). He sits and has a talk with her, basically tells her it is time to let go and all that, probably says some other comforting things. Well literally, within fifteen minutes after he finishes, her body starts dying (literally). She died later that day.

So don't ever assume someone is fully gone or can't hear you even if in a vegetable state, because they might be able to. Yes, it could just be a freak coincidence where she couldn't hear anything and was no longer conscious and her body had just given out after the psychologist's talk, but it might be she really could still hear and reason to some degree, and was mentally keeping herself alive, and let go after the psychologist (whom remember she had developed a romantic love for) talked to her. It could also be possible that she was gone to the point of not being able to understand what anyone was saying, but could still recognize and distinguish the different voices, and thus knew who was there (such as the psychologist).

A really strange coincidence is that she died at 4:14 PM, on August 14.

Sorry to hear. May she RIP. My grandpa passed away peacefully on the sofa one morning and we were just all sitting around him without even knowing. He was stiff as a board and ice cold. Grandparents are awesome.

My Gradma stuck around for 11 years after she had her stroke. And took a turn for the worse like yours, almost sounds just like my Grandma. She died early June this year at 88 years old. So I know what you are going for.

Sorry for your loss, may she RIP.

Sorry for your loss Wheels... I have a similar story

My Dad passed away last Thanksgiving weekend

My Dad was home with hospice care and given "a week or 2 to live". He was comatose and non-responsive. My siblings and their kids (I have 2 brothers and a sister and a boatload of nieces and nephews) went to my Mom and Dad's house for Thanksgiving, my family didn't go, I was sick and it was best not to chance giving it to Mom or Dad. Well, my family went to see him the Saturday after Thanksgiving, we all went into the room to see him. As we were leaving, I said to Dad "you can go now, everyone has said their goodbyes, let the pain end".

We left Mom and Dad's and we had gotten about 5 miles away when my Mom called and said "The nurses said your father just died"...

I truly believe he waited to say his goodbyes to all of us before he passed

Sorry to hear that Wheels. May she RIP.

I am very close to my maternal grandparents, especially so after I lost my dad. My grandad turns 85 in two weeks, grandma is 84.

I'm sorry for her loss.

I just got back to my office after the burial of a former collegue/friend, 26 year old died in a MC accident, a damn shame :(

RIP