Porsche CGT 2004-2005

Allan-Herbie

Thanks so much! I'm really happy with it! I didn't mention it in this thread, but it's an March 2006 build and the last car imported into the US......it's number 1264/1270

I'll definitely take some pics of the siblings together! Thx!

ur signature says 2005 CGT .... :eusa_think:

tks! eagerly awaiting these

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ur signature says 2005 CGT .... :eusa_think:

tks! eagerly awaiting these

Yes, due to the US airbag regulations changing in 2006 Porsche was forced to re-VIN the few US cars to 2005's (Porsche applied for an exemption but was denied). All Porsche internal paperwork on my car says "2006" MY but the Monroney sticker says 2005. The US airbag regulation change was a big part of why Porsche halted the production of the car early in 2006 and at 1270 cars instead of the planned 1500. The US took 604 of the 1270 GT's, so without that market available to Porsche (and I'm sure some other factors) they halted the production. They had made the few 2006 US cars in hopes they would receive the exemption....

Yes, due to the US airbag regulations changing in 2006 Porsche was forced to re-VIN the few US cars to 2005's (Porsche applied for an exemption but was denied). All Porsche internal paperwork on my car says "2006" MY but the Monroney sticker says 2005. The US airbag regulation change was a big part of why Porsche halted the production of the car early in 2006 and at 1270 cars instead of the planned 1500. The US took 604 of the 1270 GT's, so without that market available to Porsche (and I'm sure some other factors) they halted the production. They had made the few 2006 US cars in hopes they would receive the exemption....

wow very interesting, didnt know that.

now get to taking pics of the siblings :D the ultimate italian (okay a Zonda F Roadster manual would top it, but lets stay realistic) & ultimate german

Ive actually been thinking about one for awhile now. Seeing Jay in his got me thinking even more.

Cannot say I blame you for that! Amazing cars. Good luck if you go this route.

Car looks great in the red

Congrats !!

Get a 2005 if you can. Different software for actuating the clutch from a dead stop. The 2005 cars are the ones to have. Make sure the car has a new clutch, or that the price reflects it not having one. Make sure that the service has been done as well, quite a few things on that car are engine out from my understanding, and the requires pulling the chassis apart. I can't think of a sexier car though, period. Of all the cars out there, this car will always be at the top of my list.

:iamwithstupid: find a 05' if possible. the service/parts are extremely expensive so make sure everything is up to date. also make sure you have a great relationship with a CGT certified tech before buying one.

in traffic you will want to hang yourself, but long wide open drives are pure smiles! if I was able to have 3-4 exotics I would def

get another one!

Allan, I just bought one. I did a lot of research. Feel free to PM me with any questions. The clutch service will not be as high as there are no new clutches available anymore from Porsche--they now have a rebuild program for the clutch pack. It's a Tilton unit anyways (which is the same as Sach's in Europe) so you can buy a new clutch for about $8K--or about $16K with labor (a new Murci clutch runs around $9500 for comparison). A properly driven car (using the clutch assist on rollout) will go well over 20,000 miles before reaching the 28mm min. The major 4 year service is $10K and engine out ONLY if you do the valve adjustment--which they don't need until at least 30K miles. Everyone who has done the valve check with up to that mileage has not required a single adjustment on any valve. So the dealers are now not recommending doing a valve service based on any time metric--only on a mileage basis. So, oil changes are around $900 and a major with plugs, belts, air filters, oil change and fluid level checks is $6000 or less. There is not a significant difference between 04-05, but the market seems to dictate a preference for 05 cars (which I did buy).

I bought mine because it is going to be an appreciating asset from here on out and the car delivers the purest form of driving experience and driver interaction available on the road today.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Beautiful car! Thanks for the advice. If I do decide to pull the trigger it will be around the end of the year. I wouldnt drive it very much, just as all my other cars. Id imagine it would maybe see 500-800 miles a year. It wouldn't see any traffic, just occasional Sunday drives through the Malibu canyons. What would you think the highest acceptable mileage is? I think I could buy one with a few more miles on it and save a little bit, as my limited use over the years would balance it out. Color is also a question, of course the most common is silver, but are other colors worth a premium?

Beautiful car! Thanks for the advice. If I do decide to pull the trigger it will be around the end of the year. I wouldnt drive it very much, just as all my other cars. Id imagine it would maybe see 500-800 miles a year. It wouldn't see any traffic, just occasional Sunday drives through the Malibu canyons. What would you think the highest acceptable mileage is? I think I could buy one with a few more miles on it and save a little bit, as my limited use over the years would balance it out. Color is also a question, of course the most common is silver, but are other colors worth a premium?

There aren't but 7-10 red ones in the US, and of those I know 3 were wrecked and repaired. Yellow is the same, about 7 or so, also with several being wrecked and repaired and from what I understand, only one yellow one had the yellow weave carbon fiber with yellow piping & yellow stitching. Basalt Black is pretty common, Gloss black is hard to come by, Seal grey looks ok on the car but is a bit under played, and of course GT Silver. I'm seeing more of the off color combos pop up lately, like GT Silver with Cocoa Interior or Basalt Black with Terracotta.

The problem with these right now is that even the higher mileage cars are pulling strong numbers....Gloss black is worth a little more and guards red has been pulling good money too due to limited number of available cars.

Major involves taking a lot of the car apart to check different parts and clutch, like Kevin said is near 30k to replace. Also no front lift so scrapy scrape goes the front.

I found one a few years that was a great deal I could afford the buy in but the maintenance scared me off. That and the thoughts of costs if the engine blew etc.

You are at a different level than me though as far as car buying so I hope you get one. I would in a heartbeat if I could.

Here's a famous thread about the 4 year service:

http://teamspeed.com/forums/gt/27461-fayen...e-must-see.html

and another

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=934622

and another

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/carr...ce-4-years.html

Thanks! I will make sure to read through all these links. My question to myself, is buying the CGT at this price more exciting then say buying an 03 Murci + 512TR + whatever else for approx 100k. Im trying to make smarter buying decisions on cars ( so no new mass produced cars) and pick cars that I will enjoy forever, and will only go up in value. I dont see the Murci going up in value anytime soon, but I dont see them dropping much, and the 512 should inmo go up slowly. With the CGT, with only 1270 produced, many destroyed and it being Porsches F40, I cant see how this car cant only skyrocket in price in the coming years. Its basicly the most affordable supercar at this point, with power and performance that can still match anything today. Havent they already made something like 3k Aventadors already? Thats 3x the production run of the CGT.

There aren't but 7-10 red ones in the US, and of those I know 3 were wrecked and repaired. Yellow is the same, about 7 or so, also with several being wrecked and repaired and from what I understand, only one yellow one had the yellow weave carbon fiber with yellow piping & yellow stitching. Basalt Black is pretty common, Gloss black is hard to come by, Seal grey looks ok on the car but is a bit under played, and of course GT Silver. I'm seeing more of the off color combos pop up lately, like GT Silver with Cocoa Interior or Basalt Black with Terracotta.

The problem with these right now is that even the higher mileage cars are pulling strong numbers....Gloss black is worth a little more and guards red has been pulling good money too due to limited number of available cars.

Im realising on them Ill need to be open to color, but I figure at worst a silver car in great shape, with wheels painted gloss black, will still look great. I think Id prefer silver to black. Black is just such a nightmare to keep clean.

Here is the North American Color breakdown:

Total color breakdown for North America:

362 GT Silver

103 Black

64 Seal Gray

44 Fayence yellow

42 Guards Red

41 Basalt Black metallic

11 non metallic color to sample (3 whites, 1 gulf orange, 1 citrus yellow, 1

giallo modena yellow, 1 signal yellow, 1 condor yellow, 1 gulf blue, 1 Rosso scuderia and 1 man from chile gray.

6 metallic paint to sample ( 1 arancio borealias, 1 midnight blue metallic, 1 light blue metallic, 1 Zanzibar red metallic, 1 pure orange metallic and 1 polar silver metallic.)

That's the full color run for NA

Allan, I just bought one. I did a lot of research. Feel free to PM me with any questions. The clutch service will not be as high as there are no new clutches available anymore from Porsche--they now have a rebuild program for the clutch pack. It's a Tilton unit anyways (which is the same as Sach's in Europe) so you can buy a new clutch for about $8K--or about $16K with labor (a new Murci clutch runs around $9500 for comparison). A properly driven car (using the clutch assist on rollout) will go well over 20,000 miles before reaching the 28mm min. The major 4 year service is $10K and engine out ONLY if you do the valve adjustment--which they don't need until at least 30K miles. Everyone who has done the valve check with up to that mileage has not required a single adjustment on any valve. So the dealers are now not recommending doing a valve service based on any time metric--only on a mileage basis. So, oil changes are around $900 and a major with plugs, belts, air filters, oil change and fluid level checks is $6000 or less. There is not a significant difference between 04-05, but the market seems to dictate a preference for 05 cars (which I did buy).

I bought mine because it is going to be an appreciating asset from here on out and the car delivers the purest form of driving experience and driver interaction available on the road today.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

You bugger - is that the one that was up for sale in CA = really wanted that!

I have driven almost everything! CGT is my favorite car hands down! Especially since it's a proper manual car! An awesome trans/clutch at that! I love it even more now that all the new manufacturers don't even offer stick anymore!