New Viper sales far lower than expected...

Mako

Was flipping through the latest Autoweek, which has a short test/article on the GTS. The article itself is a positive sounding puff piece and has nothing new in it as far as I can tell, but in the sidebar it lists a 3 year residual value of $42k and change. :shock: No idea how legit their source for that is, but I don't think I ever heard of a $42k 3 year residual on a $130k car. That would make an AMG residual look good by comparison.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was flipping through the latest Autoweek, which has a short test/article on the GTS. The article itself is a positive sounding puff piece and has nothing new in it as far as I can tell, but in the sidebar it lists a 3 year residual value of $42k and change. :shock: No idea how legit their source for that is, but I don't think I ever heard of a $42k 3 year residual on a $130k car. That would make an AMG residual look good by comparison.

There is no possible way that car will be $42k in 3 years. Even then I think they will hold their value pretty well in the $80k range.

As for new cars, the TA and SRTs are selling well, as are customer spec cars. It's just the dealer spec GTS that seem to be sitting on the lot or selling for $30k off msrp.

There is no possible way that car will be $42k in 3 years. Even then I think they will hold their value pretty well in the $80k range.

As for new cars, the TA and SRTs are selling well, as are customer spec cars. It's just the dealer spec GTS that seem to be sitting on the lot or selling for $30k off msrp.

Dunno-i think I would take a 2013 GT-R for the $85k range as opposed to the dealer spec base GTS. I think $60k-$70k-ish will be the floor where it hovers around. Well optioned cars may hover around $80k-$85k.

No way I would take the Viper at $100k when I would buy a fully loaded 2015 Z-OHH-6 for the same price. And I actually like the viper....

dealerships around here are doing raffles to get rid of theirs

With the new Plastic mess-06 now at 650hp and much lighter then the Viper it will need a redo of some type or its done.

Start reading better magazines ;)

I wouldn't trust their price residuals. They had a car shopping site with insights, prices and the market, the whole site shuttered up in less than a year.

So is expect a bunch more puff pieces from them as they struggle for sponsor dollars.

The Viper is a raw car, and the new generation is more refined, but I'm not sure how well it would be for a dd.

Not to mention, what's the residual on the previous models?! Not that drastic is it?

I wouldn't trust their price residuals. They had a car shopping site with insights, prices and the market, the whole site shuttered up in less than a year.

So is expect a bunch more puff pieces from them as they struggle for sponsor dollars.

The Viper is a raw car, and the new generation is more refined, but I'm not sure how well it would be for a dd.

Not to mention, what's the residual on the previous models?! Not that drastic is it?

Gen III 03-06 are the worst but still mid 40's to high 50's depending on mileage and color. Newer cars are pulling more money and the GTS is up a bit over last year, still holding it's value really well. Even the worst case the 03 cars are down 40% over 10 years, not bad as far as vehicles go.

I agree the Plastic mess-06 will be a hell of a car for the $$$. I'm thinking the 15' viper will get a significant hp bump, but it's going to be priced a little higher than the POS, even if lightly optioned.

I don't think many people can DD a viper, you have to really love the car for what it is, and what it isn't. That being said, if the 13-14 cars get into the low 80's when the '15 comes out, it will be one fcuking hell of a car for the money.

If you guys are bored look at the track reviews of the TA, it's a fcuk load faster than anyone thought it would be, or initially gave it credit for.

I kind of figured the number was more a case of banks saying "we want nothing to do with leasing this car" than a realistic prediction on the market in three years. The car isn't selling at all, and the residual is very uncertain, so the banks are going to make sure they don't lose their ass with a residual that turns out to be too high. I was interested enough in that number though to pull up a three year residual for a GTS on another, unrelated site and it wasn't much better--$46k and change. And it listed a two year residual of $54k! Again, not saying those numbers will reflect the actual market down the road, but the car's future is pretty shaky looking right now.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't get the thought process...if they are that overstocked on Vipers and based on how many they sold last month, they would need significantly longer than a 2 week delay. I actually really like the new cars, not as good as the Gen 2 but better than the later Gens. They just priced themselves out of the market.

I don't get the thought process...if they are that overstocked on Vipers and based on how many they sold last month, they would need significantly longer than a 2 week delay. I actually really like the new cars, not as good as the Gen 2 but better than the later Gens. They just priced themselves out of the market.

:iamwithstupid:

From what I have seen it's the dealer spec cars with super high MSRP that are sitting on the lots. Customer ordered cars are still selling and the TA are pretty damn hard to get your hands on.

Having seen a new one in person they really are fantastic cars, just too much $$ all loaded up. It's a Gen II GTS your wife can live with riding in.

I'm still expecting a good HP bump in 15 which means we'll be able to steal a 13-14 car. :icon_mrgreen:

With the new Dodge SRT now at 707 hp supercharged and the Viper at 640hp a major change will need to take place. A supercharged V10 Viper at around 725-750 HP will need to happen.

With the new Dodge SRT now at 707 hp supercharged and the Viper at 640hp a major change will need to take place. A supercharged V10 Viper at around 725-750 HP will need to happen.

No need for a blower to hit those power levels, but it should be 750-800 for '15.

No need for a blower to hit those power levels, but it should be 750-800 for '15.

True, but it seems to be the obvious choice. I recall SRT engineers talking about the motor having been designed and built ready for FI, right from the factory. Throw a couple pounds of boost at the thing, and you're there. Some potential customers might then also be enticed by the little voice on their shoulder telling them they could easily up the boost for even more insanity. Not to mention, the competition is blown, so it would be the simplest, and perhaps, most logical move before potentially throwing in the towel.

BTW, from what I have read SRT as a brand/term is dead. They've decided to fold the SRT products back into Dodge, which is why there is no reference to SRT on the new Challenger, and if the Viper lives it will revert back to being simply a Dodge as well.

True, but it seems to be the obvious choice. I recall SRT engineers talking about the motor having been designed and built ready for FI, right from the factory. Throw a couple pounds of boost at the thing, and you're there. Some potential customers might then also be enticed by the little voice on their shoulder telling them they could easily up the boost for even more insanity. Not to mention, the competition is blown, so it would be the simplest, and perhaps, most logical move before potentially throwing in the towel.

The whole Viper appeal might be that it's huge displacement, N/A motor....

If 90 hp/liter isn't a big deal, they can hit 750 HP with current displacement. Maybe bump up displacement to a clean 9 liters if it helps.

It's pretty laughable that we're even entertaining a conversation that a car that was already too much power for the typical owner in Gen 1 and 2 needs yet another 100 hp more in Gen 4.

I'm not sure a Hellcat in its current configuration is faster than a Viper, and if so can't be by a whole lot. And should it matter really if it was?

The crazy thing about all of this is only 10-15 years ago, the Corvette was such the baby brother to the Viper in all of those car mag comparos......never imagined their fortunes would be reversed like this.

I'm still waiting for the unlocked mopar pcm, if that gets released I think these cars will start disappearing. A Paxton on there with little else would put 800 to the tires quite easily.

I'm not sure if the motor got forged pistons and rods from the factory like the early Gen 2 cars or not. Regardless, from what I have been told that motor will do 800 N/A no problem.

BTW, from what I have read SRT as a brand/term is dead. They've decided to fold the SRT products back into Dodge, which is why there is no reference to SRT on the new Challenger, and if the Viper lives it will revert back to being simply a Dodge as well.

Maybe RAM will die too and we can go back to the Dodge Ram??

And bring back Plymouth while we're at it.

2 of those 36 were cars won in local raffles

its a shame but honestly they over priced them and the dealerships around there treat them like 300,000 dollar cars. i have owned 3 vipers went to test drive a new one was treated like shit. was not till the manager saw the gallardo was he nice to me but by then i was done. so it sat there for almost a year

Is there a limit to how much horsepower and torque they can give these cars? Like where at some point, the numbers will have to stop increasing? Or in another decade or so, could we be seeing cars like this that easily make 1200 and 1500 horsepower and such...?

Is there a limit to how much horsepower and torque they can give these cars? Like where at some point, the numbers will have to stop increasing? Or in another decade or so, could we be seeing cars like this that easily make 1200 and 1500 horsepower and such...?

I am willing to bet 99% of the drivers out there can't properly handle 500 HP, this HP war is pointless, lighter cars with a higher structural rigidity, better handling and braking, that's what everyone should concentrate on.

I am willing to bet 99% of the drivers out there can't properly handle 500 HP, this HP war is pointless, lighter cars with a higher structural rigidity, better handling and braking, that's what everyone should concentrate on.

Bingo!

The HP war is just for bragging rights, even more so in the aftermarket world.