Range Rover Sport Supercharged 2014

porter

Will move to proper section later.

Been driving this vehicle for a week now. This is our 5th Rover (4 x Sports, 1 x Full Size). Thoughts -

Size - It is big. They say it's an inch bigger in each direction but it definitely feels bigger than that. Chipster knows what I mean. It feels large with significant presence.

Styling - I like it. A bit polarizing as it's become less truck and more sporty however I think it's an improvement. In the metal especially at dusk when the autolights come on, it is quite impressive.

Cargo - Big, and the rears fold flat, which is a big reason we won't move to the full size. Can get an optional 3rd of seating for 7 people total, don't know much about it except we don't need it :icon_mrgreen:

Power - No pissing around now. It moves and once real world tests come out we will likely see mid 4s with proper launches. It's shed a bunch of weight and HP is now 510. Way more power than you will ever need.

Terrain Response - It's automated now although I override it in slush and deep snow. Works flawlessly, haven't had any issues, my neighbours don't enjoy me drifting in front of the house but too bad :icon_thumleft:

Eco-mode - Can be selected on and off but next year will be unselectable and always on. IMO this is a negative. Basically it shuts off the motor at lights and stands still to reduce carbon footprint. I don't give a shit about this for a bunch of reasons so the tiny bit of jerkiness upon startup is not welcome. It can be shut off but again apparently only this year.

Fit and Finish - First class, clearly modeled after Euro sedans. Everything is bespoke, very nice leather throughout, switchgear is solid. Minor gripe is the paddles are plastic and flimsy, I don't use them anyway but for others this may be a negative.

Interior - Huge pano sunroof with a single mullion, it's nice. Sound system is great and will be acceptable for 95% of customers. The best OEM headunit/nav system has gotten better, multiple iPhones sync without any effort. Too many options to list, but it's all well thought out. Backseats are great and recline a little and have their own heat seaters. Front seats are fully HVAC capable and have heat and AC. Full lumber and bolster settings for seats, all fine. The armrest cooler returns, I've never used ours but maybe those in warmer climates like to drive around with cold Gatorade lol. Very quiet around town and on highway even with the lower profile rubber. Hatch auto opens and closes, finally.

Gear selection - This is a big negative and some things don't need to be changed. To select PARK you must press a button on top of the selector and not move the selector. To select REVERSE you press another trigger button and move the selector forward. This is counterintuitive and unwelcome IMO. If you are rushed or flustered or Asian you will put the vehicle in reverse instead of park. fcuking racist vehicle.

Cross-shopping - This is my wife's vehicle, she also looked at G63. Wasn't interested in BMW, Lexus, Audi, or Porsche. Loved the AMG version of the G-Wagen, almost bought it, at the last minute test drove the RRS and loved it more.

Overall this vehicle gets 8 throwing stars out of 10. Why not 10? The gear selector sucks and didn't need an redesign. Certain cheesy elements like the sideview mirrors when folding out throw a stenciled illumination of the words RANGE ROVER onto the ground. Plus I don't give out 10s.

After dozens of vehicles that were either white, black or dark grey we went for silver this time. It's okay and looks pretty good in real life. Bonus picture of porter jr. 9 days old, I am teaching him how to drive this afternoon.

photo_1.JPG

photo_2.JPG

photo.JPG

Is he laid out on the carpet or flying through the air about to kick someone in the throat?

Congrats.

More on the boy than the acquisition of the car!

I was teaching him some UFC moves, he roundhouse kicked me so I took him down for the count!

Nice review.

Congrats on the baby boy, he is a cutie!

Interesting.... a page on the car, one sentence on the boy :eusa_think:

It was an afterthought. You know J, I eschew the public eye, I am not one for teapot displays!

Thanks for the write up. Kevin2772 and I went and looked at the new RRS and loved it. Think I like the big Rover a bit more though.... Congrats on the mini ninja.

Great review. For years Range Rovers have been known for poor reliability, has that been addressed? Love the looks of the new style also.

Congrats on both!

It was an afterthought. You know J, I eschew the public eye, I am not one for teapot displays!

Afterthought??

Perhaps you should keep Mrs. Porter away from the computer. She might frown upon you thinking of your son as an afterthought

Congrats on the baby ninja the baby ninja hauler :icon_super:

I have a full fat, one thing I wish it had was a better sounding exhaust. I heard the Sport sounds more like the F-type, any truth to that?

Also, Porter, everyday for the next twenty something years:

Afterthought??

Perhaps you should keep Mrs. Porter away from the computer. She might frown upon you thinking of your son as an afterthought

The son wasn't the afterthought, telling you guys in a Range Rover thread was the afterthought. :icon_thumleft:

Congrats on the baby ninja the baby ninja hauler :icon_super:

I have a full fat, one thing I wish it had was a better sounding exhaust. I heard the Sport sounds more like the F-type, any truth to that?

Also, Porter, everyday for the next twenty something years:

Yes I think the salesman mumbled something about transmission parts lifted from the F-Type. The exhaust is awesome, I have no complaints.

Thanks for all the well wishes from everybody as well, I can't believe I am fertile after all these years treating my body like a carnival.

Thanks for all the well wishes from everybody as well, I can't believe I am fertile after all these years treating my body like a carnival.

Congrats. Easy fertility explanation.

These. ninja_sperf___crochet_sperm_by_sperfs-d41sa6v.jpg

Make these.

Ninja-Baby.jpg

Congrats on the new additions Porter!!

The first few months the kids don't do much but drool and stare but you're going to have a blast in a short while when he starts getting interesting playing and making noises ;) I have no doubt you'll enjoy fatherhood immensely!