Duck Dynasty/Phil controversy

Castor Troy

About 2/3 of my Facebook is filled with people outraged about the Duck Dynasty controversy. It seems most are claiming Phil has the right to free speech and no reason to get fired.

Here's my opinion on the matter.

1) Yes, Phil has every right to free speech. He exercised his rights.

2) A&E is his employer and has every right to hire and fire.

3) As his employer, A&E felt his outspoken views were not in line with company policy and they fired him. Would these people all still be mad if Phil said that he thinks everyone should listen to what the Westborough Baptist Church people are saying and making claims that everyone is going to hell? NOPE. They would all be outraged and calling for Phil to be fired.

4) If you worked at Exxon Mobile and sent a mass email to all the employees stating exactly what Phil said. It's a guarantee you would get fired.

5) Too bad Americans are not worried about their country as much as they are worried about Phil Robertson.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with your viewpoint.

PS - did you see the Robertson family is now outraged A&E "let" the GQ interview be published? Also, I find irony in his comments, considering he made his fortune from mastering duck mating calls.

Im not going to get into what he said and weather I agree or disagree. But I agree with the OP. I think Phil will be back though and this will all be a way to drum up more viewers. Im not sure if that was A & E's plan the whole time though.

And if Im wrong the show will end and the only people that care will be A & E due to lost revenue.

It's Phil's right to say what he wants. It's the networks right to terminate employees who don't represent their interests.

People have the right to protest the network (or Phil) depending on what they believe.

Who cares?

I've never watched shows like this, Duck Dynasty, Honey Boo Boo, Jersey Shore, Kardashians, they seem so retarded. I don't get the appeal. I barely have enough time to live my own life let alone someone else's.

I've never watched shows like this, Duck Dynasty, Honey Boo Boo, Jersey Shore, Kardashians, they seem so retarded. I don't get the appeal.

:iamwithstupid:

Most of the public like retarded stuff though.

I've never watched shows like this, Duck Dynasty, Honey Boo Boo, Jersey Shore, Kardashians, they seem so retarded. I don't get the appeal. I barely have enough time to live my own life let alone someone else's.

Seriously, who gives a fcuk about any of this.

And.I'd bet most of the people worked up over this bullshit couldn't tell you who their state senators are.

Priorities.people.

Most of the public like retarded stuff though.

post-22919-1387664725.gif

Idiot mind numbing drama fuel for idiots.

tumblr_m0dm5hqKfi1qzytu7.gif

He didn't say it on the show so to me even though the network has a right to do whatever they want they were pussies about it and just caved to glaads demands. Should have just said they don't agree with his personal views and let the public decide if they watch the show or change the channel. The guy has been the same since the beginning and the network didn't give a shit then. Hope the family tells them to screw off and gets picked up by someone else. This reminds me of firing Paula dean for something she said in private 20 years ago. People can make their own decisions on what they watch. Sick and tired of people thinking they know what's better for you than you do yourself. In this day and age there is always someone that is offended by something but we are free to watch or ignore.

He didn't say it on the show so to me even though the network has a right to do whatever they want they were pussies about it and just caved to glaads demands. Should have just said they don't agree with his personal views and let the public decide if they watch the show or change the channel. The guy has been the same since the beginning and the network didn't give a shit then. Hope the family tells them to screw off and gets picked up by someone else. This reminds me of firing Paula dean for something she said in private 20 years ago. People can make their own decisions on what they watch. Sick and tired of people thinking they know what's better for you than you do yourself. In this day and age there is always someone that is offended by something but we are free to watch or ignore.

So if you were running a company, and one of the publics figures for it, started spewing ignorant comments (hurting your brand) you would keep them hired, and let the market decide? (and potentially cost you tens of millions of dollars)

I guess some people don't understand, TV is a business. It's not a "right".

Just so I'm clear - are you supporters also outraged at the firing of the PR exec who tweeted, 'Going to Africa. Hope I don't get AIDS. Just Kidding. I'm White!' ?

Just so I'm clear - are you supporters also outraged at the firing of the PR exec who tweeted, 'Going to Africa. Hope I don't get AIDS. Just Kidding. I'm White!' ?

The difference between this (Statement above) and Duck Dynasty crap, is the statement above is Racist and stereotyped. What Phil said, (at least the statement from the GQ interview) was that sin is becoming ok, and then he listed off half a dozen things that are considered sin in the bible. Nowhere did he compare being gay to fcuking animals. Yes he listed Homosexuality in a list with bestiality, but he also listed off greed, adultery, and other things, all of which the bible considers sin. But because he used homosexuality it had to be that he is a homophob and he hates gays because that makes good media. He just thinks that it is a sin, or at least that is all he portrayed in his interview, if read in context.

So to compare the two is completely irrelevant and the two statements are not in the same class whatsoever.

Edit: just to be clear, I am not outraged by this other than it has garnered as much media attention as it has. I think all this reality tv shit is garbage.

The difference between this (Statement above) and Duck Dynasty crap, is the statement above is Racist and stereotyped. What Phil said, (at least the statement from the GQ interview) was that sin is becoming ok, and then he listed off half a dozen things that are considered sin in the bible. Nowhere did he compare being gay to fcuking animals. Yes he listed Homosexuality in a list with bestiality, but he also listed off greed, adultery, and other things, all of which the bible considers sin. But because he used homosexuality it had to be that he is a homophob and he hates gays because that makes good media. He just thinks that it is a sin, or at least that is all he portrayed in his interview, if read in context.

So to compare the two is completely irrelevant and the two statements are not in the same class whatsoever.

Edit: just to be clear, I am not outraged by this other than it has garnered as much media attention as it has. I think all this reality tv shit is garbage.

What about the racist shit he said?

I wish more people would be just as concerned about the state of our country as the were about a STUPID REALITY TV SHOW!! WHO GIVES A F*CK!!!!! Seriously, people are so enamored with these stupid reality shows. WHY?! I never got into them. Never seen an episode of this show.

thank god, I too have never seen it.

Oh the pleasure of living outside of the US

So if you were running a company, and one of the publics figures for it, started spewing ignorant comments (hurting your brand) you would keep them hired, and let the market decide? (and potentially cost you tens of millions of dollars)

I guess some people don't understand, TV is a business. It's not a "right".

I said it is up to the network but he didn't say the stuff on the actual show and he has been preaching his same shit for years and the network hasn't given a damn about it until these fringe groups freak all about about it. I guess every other guy in the nfl or NBA should be fired for the stupid shit they say and do every other day off the field. At the end of the day it is a business and in this particular case if I owned the rights to the show I would issue a statement that Phil's beliefs are his and not the networks and leave it to the viewers to decide to support or not.

I said it is up to the network but he didn't say the stuff on the actual show and he has been preaching his same shit for years and the network hasn't given a damn about it until these fringe groups freak all about about it. I guess every other guy in the nfl or NBA should be fired for the stupid shit they say and do every other day off the field. At the end of the day it is a business and in this particular case if I owned the rights to the show I would issue a statement that Phil's beliefs are his and not the networks and leave it to the viewers to decide to support or not.

They get fined in the NBA and NFL and even suspended in the UFC. Any business with that strategy of "wait and see" isn't going to be in operation for the long term. Then again, I already knew the general population lacked business sense.

They get fined in the NBA and NFL and even suspended in the UFC. Any business with that strategy of "wait and see" isn't going to be in operation for the long term. Then again, I already knew the general population lacked business sense.

A business with any sense doesn't shoot the goose that laid the golden egg because some Whiney fringe group gets their panties in a wad. The nfl and NBA fine the players because they are not dumb enough to risk financial backlash by suspending key money makers. A fine does nothing for fans that are upset or hurt by some comments or actions. The general populations business sense has nothing to do with it.

A business with any sense doesn't shoot the goose that laid the golden egg because some Whiney fringe group gets their panties in a wad. The nfl and NBA fine the players because they are not dumb enough to risk financial backlash by suspending key money makers. A fine does nothing for fans that are upset or hurt by some comments or actions. The general populations business sense has nothing to do with it.

It doesn't shoot the golden goose. By taking the actions they did, they get to keep the advertisers (who would have otherwise pulled out) and ratings take a jump because of the controversy. All the supporters run to Walmart and Walgreens and buy out "duck dynasty" inventory. A&E wins.