Diablo GT #34/80 in orange for sale in Texas

Robster Craws

IMO, the SE30 is still my favorite Diablo. In Jota spec, it's just perfect.

Have to agree, I've never been a fan of the GTs styling, and if we are talking about looks, the SE30 is still the best looking Diablo ever made [in my opinion]

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have to agree, I've never been a fan of the GTs styling, and if we are talking about looks, the SE30 is still the best looking Diablo ever made [in my opinion]

I agree. SE and SV are the best looking. Never liked cars with the "add on" appearance, no matter the performance.

According to this:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Show_and_Display

Even if the car is here under "show and display" legally, it's cant "legally" operate on our roads unless its EPA compliant?

True. There are a few companies which perform the EPA stuff stateside. One of them is a customer of mine. Lots of red tape for the show and display/epa process

True. There are a few companies which perform the EPA stuff stateside. One of them is a customer of mine. Lots of red tape for the show and display/epa process

I remember Autosport in NY advertising that they had done conversions on Diablo GT's to make them fully legal stateside. So if I'm to understand this correctly, unless a Diablo GT had the work done to it's drivetrain to make it epa compliant, even if it is here legally under the "show and display" exemption, it's illegal to drive it on the road?

Edit, here's the Autosport link that shows the Diablo GT that they claim to have made EPA compliant. Anyone know which car it is and where it is today?

I remember Autosport in NY advertising that they had done conversions on Diablo GT's to make them fully legal stateside. So if I'm to understand this correctly, unless a Diablo GT had the work done to it's drivetrain to make it epa compliant, even if it is here legally under the "show and display" exemption, it's illegal to drive it on the road?

Edit, here's the Autosport link that shows the Diablo GT that they claim to have made EPA compliant. Anyone know which car it is and where it is today?

I have an interesting question and I think I know the answer but I am going to fire away:

-A Diablo GT is MY 2000 SO IN 2015 it becomes eligible for importation to Canada. Federally, there is no issue as the 15 year rule applies to all cars, whether they were eligible for import initially or not. The euro cars are subjected to a 6% duty + 13% GST AND HST and once all that is paid, the car can be legally registered for the street anywhere in Canada. Now the problem rises with the provincial emissions rules, and they do vary from one province to another. Some cars do not pass the emissions, as with my JAG 220s and given the ministry did not have a benchmark for the XJ220 for the year of manufacture, they issued a grey market exception and it will never need to be tested for emissions again and is now street legal and registered in Ontario.

Am I right to assume that even though the JAG xj220, which is now 21 years old and legally registered in Ontario , cannot be imported to the US through regular channels and will still need to be made EPA and DOT compliant ? I believe that still is the case until the car is 25 years old. Correct ?

^I am thinking the exact same thing on this GT --- the Canadian 15 year-old exemption law. We here in the West have 1 advantage over you guys (for once in a blue moon), our emissions control program will be phased out by the end of this year so that won't be an issue anymore. Although servicing this beast will continue to be a problem and it definitely will not be very popular with no cats and straight pipes among those conservative and tree-hugging west coast crowd. It is indeed a rare and unique car. But I too am not a fan on its looks. The SE 30 is much better looking but personally I like the 6.0 best.

Incidentally, I have no idea on how and why but there is a XJ220 available near L.A. CA

Yes, at 25 years, based on the VIN plate date production it would be exempt. HOWEVER I was advised that it would have to be imported into the USA AFTER the 25 year date...it can not just be tucked away in a warehouse here in the USA and then brought out after 25 years..is still needs to have the proper import papers shpowing its entry into the USA after that date.

You are also correct that this should have just flown under the radar and traded quietly to another collector AS LONG as they were made aware of it status and the risks...a private to private sale...

Does the SE Jota fall under the same category as the GT?

I don't know if there are any Jotas in the US, "show and display" or not.

On the Canadian import part, the MY 2000 Diablo was on the do not import list. I don't know if it still is, but it was for some time and may very well be, along with the older model Diablos due to seat belt restraint bolts and front driving lights, etc.

Race car importing, it used to be that the car could be here as a race car, however it could only stay for a period of 6 months, then the car had to leave the country again. that's the way it used to be, pretty sure it hasn't been changed much.

Race car importing, it used to be that the car could be here as a race car, however it could only stay for a period of 6 months, then the car had to leave the country again. that's the way it used to be, pretty sure it hasn't been changed much.

There are 2 rules for race car importing: Cars originally manufactured as a race car are eligible for permanent import under box 8 of the HS7. Cars NOT originally a race car but now a race car are eligible for temporary import under box 7 of HS7.

For non-race cars, NHTSA has an online list of foreign made cars eligible for import. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=...bcfmbIZ7S9DQgaA

I see the seller removed it from Ebay:

This listing was ended by the seller because there was an error in the listing.

I see the seller removed it from Ebay:

This listing was ended by the seller because there was an error in the listing.

Seeing as its Yellow and they are in New York we would ahve to assume that was Benny Ciaola's GT, which Roy said was show and display and already sent over seas.

I also see they have the light blue F1 that resides in Texas I believe.

I have an interesting question and I think I know the answer but I am going to fire away:

-A Diablo GT is MY 2000 SO IN 2015 it becomes eligible for importation to Canada. Federally, there is no issue as the 15 year rule applies to all cars, whether they were eligible for import initially or not. The euro cars are subjected to a 6% duty + 13% GST AND HST and once all that is paid, the car can be legally registered for the street anywhere in Canada. Now the problem rises with the provincial emissions rules, and they do vary from one province to another. Some cars do not pass the emissions, as with my JAG 220s and given the ministry did not have a benchmark for the XJ220 for the year of manufacture, they issued a grey market exception and it will never need to be tested for emissions again and is now street legal and registered in Ontario.

Am I right to assume that even though the JAG xj220, which is now 21 years old and legally registered in Ontario , cannot be imported to the US through regular channels and will still need to be made EPA and DOT compliant ? I believe that still is the case until the car is 25 years old. Correct ?

This is probably the best question and smart thinking this thread has produced!! I am going to have to look into this..BUT..

My first thought would be YES it can come to the USA purely based on the section of vehicles import/export rules in the NAFTA program. I DO know that IF this worked it would be subject to the 2.75% US Duty tax for import as NAFTA speels this out IF the vehicle was NOT orginialy produced in the USA by a USA manufacture company.

Very very intresting...

Does the SE Jota fall under the same category as the GT?

I don't know if there are any Jotas in the US, "show and display" or not.

NONE of the 25 USA SE cars where Jota cars. I know of none in the USA. I do know there were TWO, both Purple SE30 cars that were USA converted to Jota cars. They were done with Factory OEM Jota kits. I had one, has since sold to a collector on the east coast and there is another one that as far as I know, is still owned by an owner here on the boards. BOTH cars were BAD ASS cars.

Seeing as its Yellow and they are in New York we would ahve to assume that was Benny Ciaola's GT, which Roy said was show and display and already sent over seas.

I also see they have the light blue F1 that resides in Texas I believe.

You are correct..that car if I recall correctly ONLY had less then 500 miles on it. The other yellow one in the Ron Tonkin collection, as of late last year had miles on it STILL of only 189!!

I was wondering the same thing as LPDADDY re: bringing the GT into Canada. Does this mean that come 2015 this car could legally be brought into the country and be exempt from emissions testing given the 15 year rule or is the vehicle itself completely inadmissible?

Lots of cars have been coming in as grey market imports under this rule so I don't see why a GT would be exempt...

I cant speak for the Diablo in question but the EPA conversion involves installing cats, rear 02 sensors, charcoal canister, etc... then performing dyno testing at various RPM to verify emissions are below limits. I personally saw a Stirling Moss SLR and a Aston One77 on the dyno about a year ago.

The "grey market" conversions are big money, and surprisingly common. Ive seen some amazing cars at their shop MC12, CLK GTR roadster, multiple McLaren F1's, SM SLR's, 400th Enzo, as well as basic everyday Benzes and BMW from the middle east. Diplomats for some reason prefer to import and federalize their cars rather than purchase here. Not sure why...

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the info in this thread, truly amazing and very interesting.

A little more...I am sure some of you are asking why the Diablo GT (total of 80 built from 99 to early 2000) are not DOTA/EPA approved. There is still one at the factory and one was crashed were the new owner and the Factory Sales rep died in the crash within a day of taking possesion of it in Spain..so only 78 made it out to market."

Wasn't there a black GT that was destroyed in a horrible crash in Sardinia at the official introduction of the GT? Test driver was driving with a potential client as passenger, test driver killed along with a passenger in the car involved, a truck was also involved. (info from some magazine article)

• 2 years later...
Yes, at 25 years, based on the VIN plate date production it would be exempt. HOWEVER I was advised that it would have to be imported into the USA AFTER the 25 year date...it can not just be tucked away in a warehouse here in the USA and then brought out after 25 years..is still needs to have the proper import papers shpowing its entry into the USA after that date.

You are also correct that this should have just flown under the radar and traded quietly to another collector AS LONG as they were made aware of it status and the risks...a private to private sale...

from my understanding its almost impossible to get a vehicle re-imported after 25 years expires if it were at any point in this country illegally. Even if its exported out of the states and re-imported after the 25 years is up. Not sure how the show and display bond plays into that though