Tesla...

OC

I have been trying to get as much data as possible for the following:

From the very beginning of the manufacturing process of such electric and/or hybrid car (as in the initial metal stamping or even sooner) to the end of its life (as in the car being disposed of), how much energy is utilized in its entire life cycle and how does that compare to the energy required to manufacture and scrap a regular car with ICE?

I bet the difference won't be a lot. Manufacturing/disposing/recycling the huge batteries from the electric/hybrid cars likely make them less environmental-friendly as the regular cars.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Tesla was stolen by me, and being chased by the police.. Driver crashed the car through a light and cut the car in half. It hit soo hard that half the car ended up in a building, with the other half on the street. People filmed the car as the batteries continued to explode like fireworks..

Hopefully you learned your lesson and don't steal any more teslas.

Have Teslas been tested in floodwaters? I know that some electric cars have had a nasty reaction of catching on fire when they end up in flood waters, such as salt water in particular I think. This could be a problem if someone accidentally drove into water too deep if the car could catch fire.

I have been trying to get as much data as possible for the following:

From the very beginning of the manufacturing process of such electric and/or hybrid car (as in the initial metal stamping or even sooner) to the end of its life (as in the car being disposed of), how much energy is utilized in its entire life cycle and how does that compare to the energy required to manufacture and scrap a regular car with ICE?

I bet the difference won't be a lot. Manufacturing/disposing/recycling the huge batteries from the electric/hybrid cars likely make them less environmental-friendly as the regular cars.

I am not sure if this is fact or an urban myth (too lazy to research now :icon_mrgreen: ) apparently there was a very comprehensive research conducted by someone (?) on a similar basis as you've described above, as comprehensive as quantifying the carbon footprint of the workers involved in manufacturing the cars and the "greenest" car on the panel worked out to be the Land Rover simply based on their "life" span, during the life expectancy of a Land Rover you'd have to scrap three Toyota Prius.

Have Teslas been tested in floodwaters? I know that some electric cars have had a nasty reaction of catching on fire when they end up in flood waters, such as salt water in particular I think. This could be a problem if someone accidentally drove into water too deep if the car could catch fire.

If something catches fire I can't think of a more suitable place for that to happen :icon_mrgreen:

I am not sure if this is fact or an urban myth (too lazy to research now :icon_mrgreen: ) apparently there was a very comprehensive research conducted by someone (?) on a similar basis as you've described above, as comprehensive as quantifying the carbon footprint of the workers involved in manufacturing the cars and the "greenest" car on the panel worked out to be the Land Rover simply based on their "life" span, during the life expectancy of a Land Rover you'd have to scrap three Toyota Prius.

Oh the irony... :icon_mrgreen: :icon_thumleft:

does that 40% include all the work and energy required to actually produce, transport and deliver the fuel it's using?

No, but neither do the comparative efficiencies for the other powerplants I mentioned.

Remember, the electricity doesn't just magically come out of your electrical outlet. It has to be produced somewhere.

I recently had dinner with Steve Saleen, he has met with Tesla and will have a performance package that will be covered by warranty soon. His engineering team has had several meetings with Elon and he approves what they will do to the car for software modifications as well and exterior styling products.

http://www.teslamotors.com/sv_SE/forum/for...tric-sports-car

of course, but your saying "But then you have to factor in the losses that occur in the transmission of that power over long runs of power line, and the efficiency at the outlet is lower.", but left out factoring in producing the fuel when coming up with the 40% modern diesel number....

how efficient is nuclear?

No, but neither do the comparative efficiencies for the other powerplants I mentioned.

Remember, the electricity doesn't just magically come out of your electrical outlet. It has to be produced somewhere.

Yeah you know, unlike normal cars that vanish into thin air when they are scrapped... Oh wait.

20090630_jordan4.jpg

about 90% of a normal vehicle is post consumer recyclable, aka we turn them into scrap for industry iron production.

Turbo - I didn't realize turbine efficiency was so largely based on economies of scale. Good info, I would generally prefer a little turbo diesel anyway.

of course, but your saying "But then you have to factor in the losses that occur in the transmission of that power over long runs of power line, and the efficiency at the outlet is lower.", but left out factoring in producing the fuel when coming up with the 40% modern diesel number....

how efficient is nuclear?

I have read nuke plants have an efficiency in the 90% range, and CO2 production on the level of wind or solar plants.

And sure we know what to do with nuke waste. Case it in a lead tomb and bury it several hundred feet undergound in Nevada. :icon_mrgreen:

And sure we know what to do with nuke waste. Case it in a lead tomb and bury it several hundred feet undergound in Nevada. :icon_mrgreen:

You should've asked RB when he was around his father is the expert in dealing with nuclear waste.

One other potential problem with electric (and hybrid) cars from what I've been reading is that if you are planning to work on them yourself, you have to be extremely careful, as they have incredibly high electrical voltages that can kill you very quickly.

One other potential problem with electric (and hybrid) cars from what I've been reading is that if you are planning to work on them yourself, you have to be extremely careful, as they have incredibly high electrical voltages that can kill you very quickly.

Ummm... No shit. The same can be said for a golfcart, or many things in a standard family home.

But really, what sort of routine maintenance do you think you'll be performing on your Tesla? It isn't like the battery is a series of standard group 34 batteries stacked in the belly you need to exchange at Costco.

From a consumer standpoint, I don't even care how green the car is, truthfully. I just want value. I want something fairly priced and cheap to operate. The big selling point with Tesla is the cheap operational cost, and also, it's the newest thing. Everyone heard a about it and said, cool, an electric car! It's silent! Its like no other, etc. Love the fact that Elon opened up the patents. Can't wait to see what the future has to offer.

heh, no kidding, sounds like trolling to me or extreme cluelessnes...

Ummm... No shit. The same can be said for a golfcart, or many things in a standard family home.

But really, what sort of routine maintenance do you think you'll be performing on your Tesla? It isn't like the battery is a series of standard group 34 batteries stacked in the belly you need to exchange at Costco.

heh, no kidding, sounds like trolling to me or extreme cluelessnes...

Not trolling at all. And if you think it is extreme cluelessness, lots of people may not be aware of such a thing. The manufacturers put huge warnings on the internals of the cars to warn anybody working on them and also have information available for groups like firefighters and other emergency services personnel who might have to deal with such vehicles. Not everyone is aware that the electrics of an electric car or hybrid can shock enough to kill.

Not trolling at all. And if you think it is extreme cluelessness, lots of people may not be aware of such a thing. The manufacturers put huge warnings on the internals of the cars to warn anybody working on them and also have information available for groups like firefighters and other emergency services personnel who might have to deal with such vehicles. Not everyone is aware that the electrics of an electric car or hybrid can shock enough to kill.

Really?.... REALLY? Your fcuking microwave or pool pump control panel has a sticker stating exactly the same thing. Do the same people need to be told not to lick powerlines?

If something has enough electrical energy to propel a 4000lb vehicle at 100mph and several hundred miles and you don't think it can kill you, then step aside, Darwin will be arriving shortly.

And i'm shocked fire departments need any kind of special training to deal with electrical fires, short of just being aware what is or isn't an electric vehicle which should be fairly obvious.

Really?.... REALLY? Your fcuking microwave or pool pump control panel has a sticker stating exactly the same thing. Do the same people need to be told not to lick powerlines?

If something has enough electrical energy to propel a 4000lb vehicle at 100mph and several hundred miles and you don't think it can kill you, then step aside, Darwin will be arriving shortly.

And i'm shocked fire departments need any kind of special training to deal with electrical fires, short of just being aware what is or isn't an electric vehicle which should be fairly obvious.

Actually there are warning stickers and each car has a emergency disconnect from the battery. Tesla in fact has an automatic disconnect upon the airbags deploying so there is never a threat to emergency personnel.

Cool your heels mate. As for electrical warnings on the cars, they aren't just for dealing with fires, they're also for if emergency people have to do something to the car to get a trapped person out or whatnot, things like that. They have to know the dangers of the car and how to disable them.

Actually there are warning stickers and each car has a emergency disconnect from the battery. Tesla in fact has an automatic disconnect upon the airbags deploying so there is never a threat to emergency personnel.

That makes sense, essentially every modern ICE vehicle has a similar fuel pump kill feature.

Weird, I know about 400 owners and none that I know, have replaced the drive unit.

Weird, I know about 400 owners and none that I know, have replaced the drive unit.