So... Ebola...

Roman

The CDC a few months ago discovered some vials of smallpox sitting in an unsecured laboratory that had somehow been overlooked and forgotten about. That was a pretty big foul-up as the only smallpox in existence is supposed to be in two locations, one highly-secured location in the U.S. and one in Russia.

• Replies 989
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The CDC a few months ago discovered some vials of smallpox sitting in an unsecured laboratory that had somehow been overlooked and forgotten about. That was a pretty big foul-up as the only smallpox in existence is supposed to be in two locations, one highly-secured location in the U.S. and one in Russia.

Ha.... That's nothing... You should hear how they got their first Ebola samples... Cardboard box with blood vials in it via like UPS or fedex. Two of the vials broke in transit and were soaking through the box....

Could be anything... Probably dysentary or malaria... But, put yourself in the shoes of a traveler. You're in a country with an Ebola outbreak. You want the fcuk out. You buy a ticket out... You don't feel well... But you're hoping you'll be ok... And you just want home... You're not telling anybody you feel like shit until you get to a US hospital... When the possibility of hemoraghic fever is out there, denial seems to be the first instinct... And that's how these things spread...

Oh... And the toilet seats at LAX and JFK...

This is key. Coming to terms with the fact that you might have a 50% chance of being alive after the next 3 weeks is tough for a lot of people, and I think that in developed countries that fear and denial is greater than in tribal Africa. While I don't think it will gain much traction in developed countries, it relies on a population that recognizes the disease, acknowledges the risk and willingly carries out the appropriate actions in response.

So many people are saying "stop being paranoid, there's nothing to worry about, we don't need mass chaos." There's a difference between paranoia and chaos. Chaos is a complete disorder and confusion... we certainly don't need that. Paranoia on the other hand is being hyper-aware of situations.... and frankly I don't think that's a bad thing here. I would rather have anyone who thinks they might have it to voluntarily admit themselves to high-level medical care long before a family member or coworker has to call an ambulance because they're bleeding through skin lesions and blowing infected fecal matter out their rear end. There are tests for the virus, which are much easier than dealing with a symptomatic patient and anyone who may have been exposed by him. People being paranoid about contracting the disease should promote awareness and safer practices, which is what is needed to stem the tide of this thing.

I was working at a site one day that has chemical and biological warfare defense research conducted and it just so happened one friday that I had taken off the plant (less than a block from my office i was working out of) "missplaced" a vial of VX nerve gas and a vial of Small Pox. The site shut down for a little over 18 hrs, no one in and no one out till the could track it down. It turned out all that happened was the guy who was working on them was working with sample trays to see how a particular antibody(or something) would react with it so he had something like 10 different trays of toxins out and he just simply placed 2 of them on the wrong trays. Well when he got to the end and went to put them away, He realized that it looked like he had fewer vials of VX and Small pox than when he started ( i dunno why it took over 18hrs to track something that simple down though). All in all it wasnt a big deal but it was an eye opener to see how quickly and severely they reacted and how easily it can be misplaced.

Ha.... That's nothing... You should hear how they got their first Ebola samples... Cardboard box with blood vials in it via like UPS or fedex. Two of the vials broke in transit and were soaking through the box....

That's fucked up situation right there.

How did they discover and test her so fast and the guy in NYC is still waiting?

Im guessing theyve tested hom as well. They may want to double check his results (or not release them- there will be a shit storm in NY. Everybody who was in JFK the last month will come down with Psychosymatic symptoms.

How long does it live out of the body? For example, could the ones infected go to the bathroom and have it put into the water system since it is transmitted by bodily fluids?

:shock: And no one got infected? When was this?

How long does it live out of the body? For example, could the ones infected go to the bathroom and have it put into the water system since it is transmitted by bodily fluids?

Ultra violet light kills it given enough time....

And you dont drink untreated waste water (you would have died from dysentery a long time ago)... Your drinking water is most likely treated with chlorine which would kill it.

:shock: And no one got infected? When was this?

like late 70's early 80's...

Weird bug... (the guy who got the samples, once he realized what it was, under the microscope, he scrubbed the office down with Clorox all night, and burned the box)...

BTW... I guess now is as good a time as any to give a shameless plug for my friend who writes in this genre:

Noah Mann...

Ultra violet light kills it given enough time....

And you dont drink untreated waste water... Your drinking water is most likely treated with chlorine which would kill it.

A water treatment engineer told me that around (if I am remembering correctly) 25% to 50% of wastewater actually doesn't make it to the treatment plants because it leaks out of old pipes (some of which date back to the 1900s). And the pipes carrying treated water oftentimes run right alongside the pipes carrying wastewater (sometimes even through puddles of wastewater from said pipes). This isn't a concern though regarding freshwater pipes with leaks because the water pressure in the pipes keeps the wastewater out. It is why however if there is something that causes a drop in the water pressure of the main pipes, they have to turn off the water supply and run special tests.

A water treatment engineer told me that around (if I am remembering correctly) 25% to 50% of wastewater actually doesn't make it to the treatment plants because it leaks out of old pipes (some of which date back to the 1900s). And the pipes carrying treated water oftentimes run right alongside the pipes carrying wastewater (sometimes even through puddles of wastewater from said pipes). This isn't a concern though regarding freshwater pipes with leaks because the water pressure in the pipes keeps the wastewater out. It is why however if there is something that causes a drop in the water pressure of the main pipes, they have to turn off the water supply and run special tests.

That largely depends on the infrastructure you are referencing, but in a big city there is no way it's anywhere near 25%. LA City for reference has their plants setup to process upwards of 550 MILLION gallons a DAY of wastewater, you think we are losing 100 million plus (per day) from leakage? Hell, we lost 20 million gallons over the course of a few days when the pipe broke on Sunset and it seriously fucked things up.

That being said, the natural aquifer does A LOT to filter out the bad shit.

Ever heard of a septic tank? Yeah, building codes generally only require you to keep a water well 100ft from a cesspool.

That largely depends on the infrastructure you are referencing, but in a big city there is no way it's anywhere near 25%. LA City for reference has their plants setup to process upwards of 550 MILLION gallons a DAY of wastewater, you think we are losing 100 million plus (per day) from leakage? Hell, we lost 20 million gallons over the course of a few days when the pipe broke on Sunset and it seriously fucked things up.

That being said, the natural aquifer does A LOT to filter out the bad shit.

Ever heard of a septic tank? Yeah, building codes generally only require you to keep a water well 100ft from a cesspool.

Maybe he meant more rural areas. Or, I could be mis-remembering, and he have said certain water pipes lose that much.

Ny post is saying six people are being/have been tested now in NY...

Six people nationwide.

I just remembered on the immigration/passport cards handed out on incoming flights to Singapore and Australia last week they've asked passengers if they've been in "Africa, South America, and the Caribbean in the last 6 days".

Well it seems you can walk straight into Australia fresh off the plane from Africa without any checks or quarantine:

AN Australian businessman has questioned the strength of our quarantine procedures after breezing through Customs on his return from Ebola-plagued west Africa. Christopher Cooper from Marcus Beach on Queensland’s Sunshine Coast, flew in from Lagos, Nigeria via Johannesburg last Friday, July 29.

Despite going through Lagos Airport two days after a man confirmed as having the deadly Ebola virus disease, Mr Cooper said he was asked no questions about his health. “Lagos is the filthiest airport,” said Mr Cooper. “There’s dust and dirt everywhere and the toilets are a disgrace. They haven’t lifted their game whatsoever. “You can’t help compare it with the SARS outbreak in Asia (in 2003), when every handrail and handle was constantly being sanitised by airport staff.”

He made a point of not using the toilets at Lagos but was still surprised not to be asked any questions about his wellbeing when he passed through Customs in Sydney. “There didn’t even seem to be any infra-red cameras taking your temperature like they do at Asian airports,” Mr Cooper said. “Because I answered yes to having been in Africa in the past six days I was pulled aside, but the Customs agent only inquired about my Yellow Fever vaccination card.”

Australian border protection authorities have given assurances every effort is being made to ensure Ebola does not reach our shores. A spokeswoman for the Federal Department of Health said the World Health Organisation did not currently advise special screening of passengers at entry points, or any travel or trade restrictions.

“As part of routine procedures, incoming flights to Australia have on-board announcements, asking passengers who are feeling unwell with fever, chills or sweats to alert a crew member,” said the spokeswoman. “Crew members would alert border protection and biosecurity staff.”

link to article here

So far its a nothing burger to me until i start seeing headlines of 10's of thousands daily.... 889 total as of Aug 4th in the 3 hardest hit nations in west africa, Sierra Leone has populace of 6mil... To much fear mongering just like the swine flu and every other disease so far in the last 10 years... When a true outbreak occurs, it will be like the boy crying wolf, no one will listen!

So far its a nothing burger to me until i start seeing headlines of 10's of thousands daily.... 889 total as of Aug 4th in the 3 hardest hit nations in west africa, Sierra Leone has populace of 6mil... To much fear mongering just like the swine flu and every other disease so far in the last 10 years... When a true outbreak occurs, it will be like the boy crying wolf, no one will listen!

If we get to the point where tens of thousands are dying from this daily, there won't be headlines any more...

Agreed, once it's out it's game over. Over 100 health workers in Bio suits covered head to toe got infected and died. In 2005 the only way they curbed the out break which was centralized in small villiages was with army quarantine. Doctors then went house to house and had to remove the sick and slowly curb the outbreak....now its spreading to major cities, there are no travel bans....this is appaling the way it's being controlled..... clearly Chen at the WHO is not the right person for the job..... Nobody really understands this strain of the virus and is not taking it seriously enough given the massive ramifications a mistake could have.