Robin Williams Dead At 63

WheelsRCool

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also wasn't a big fan of his comedy, but now with all the reflections of his career I now see that I took his talent for granted.

R.I.P

I also wasn't a big fan of his comedy, but now with all the reflections of his career I now see that I took his talent for granted.

R.I.P

I agree... I always thought his routine was just ADD and coke... But he had a couple of dramatic roles that just blew me away... And he was a Detroit Country Dayer...

R.I.P

Me too, when you consider the scope, the range.

R.I.P

:iamwithstupid:

Btw. I would love to be backstage whereever Gilbert Godfried or bob sagat are tonight. I guarantee the tasteless jokes have already started.

Did those two not like Williams?

Did those two not like Williams?

No, they are just known for breaking the ice on sensitive subjects with cringe worthy humor. Watch The Aristocrats for a lesson.

So when has it become cool to photoshop his face onto the body of a person that has hung the self and then send it to the daughter of the decease?

Sure I can rummage around and come with some dark joke but that is the shitty lowest of the low.

I feel it is very sad for his family and unfortunate. I have known some very depressed people and it is not a pleasant situation, and I don't wish it on anyone.

But I guess I am in the minority that I didn't find him very funny at all, never have.

I did think he was a talented actor in parts with very good writers, but I wasn't a fan of his standup or ramblings on talk shows and interviews.

That is just my opinion, but regardless of that meaningless opinion, very sad for his family and to hear what he must have been going through outside of the public eye.

:iamwithstupid: Exactly^

For those saying that one must "be there" for family/friends with depression....I agree. There is a caveat:

I am very close to someone with depression and other medically diagnosed mental illness. This person was going through a rough period, and I asked if they were considering suicide (I think I put it in terms of hurting one-self). The answer was yes, and I became consumed with trying to help them out of the situation.

I spoke to a medical professional who deals with treating depression, and I was told that while I should be a good friend and try to support in whatever way was possible for me - I must not feel responsible if the person chooses to take their own life. No one can prevent someone from suicide if it's their wish, and one should not feel responsible or guilty if it happens. Easy to say. Hard to do. In my case the person got past the problems at that time, and is still here - but it never leaves me that they considered suicide and could possibly be in that situation again.

I cannot make another person do (or not do) anything. I will be there to support - but ultimately I cannot control someone else, and if the worst should happen I will try to remind myself that I did everything I could - but it wasn't up to me.

I think professional grief counseling for those he (RW) left behind would be imperative, and I hope they find the support they need in order to move forward.

So when has it become cool to photoshop his face onto the body of a person that has hung the self and then send it to the daughter of the decease?

Sure I can rummage around and come with some dark joke but that is the shitty lowest of the low.

What? Someone did that??

Friggin disgusting!

Godfried was cracking jokes on stage about 9/11 the very next day.

"Sorry I'm late.... I would have been here sooner, but my flight had a layover at the Empire State Building."

Godfried's problem is, he tells backstage jokes, on stage (or on twitter). Those same comedians, who were screaming "too soon" when he said it on stage would have been laughing their asses off had he said it at the bar...

:eusa_naughty:

You should NEVER make any jokes about that!

Why?

Laughter is a great healer... It gets us through hard times... And its human nature to laugh at things that frighten us... Yes... Its a terrible crime, and it still pisses me off... But that doesnt mean we lose the right to laugh if a joke is funny, even if the subject matter is grim.

The line is always the audience... The thing about the daughter and the photoshop? Thats just cruel. Some asshole hurting somebody else because he can... Thats not the same as telling an off color joke among friends...

There's another issue too... Most people don't understand it, because they don't have that comedic sense of humor... But a lot of comedians have a strange nurturing instinct that comes with it. They HATE to see others unhappy... And in a way, in times of great pain, they almost feel like its their calling in life to make people laugh in those times... Sometimes it comes off as heartless or in poor taste... But theyre just doing their jobs...

I love comedy I watch it daily, of course I find the funny side of things when the joke is told but to me there is something sacred about a lost life, IMO it takes a "twisted/weird" personality to find humor in the ultimate pain and sufferance of others, innocent people lost their lives to the hands of monsters, fathers can not go home and see their children, lives destroyed by extension, I do not find that amusing at all, I sympathize with the fact that laughter helps with the healing process but it should be laughter induced by a different subject not laughter at the expense of my loved ones, that will never be cool with me!

I love comedy I watch it daily, of course I find the funny side of things when the joke is told but to me there is something sacred about a lost life, IMO it takes a "twisted/weird" personality to find humor in the ultimate pain and sufferance of others, innocent people lost their lives to the hands of monsters, fathers can not go home and see their children, lives destroyed by extension, I do not find that amusing at all, I sympathize with the fact that laughter helps with the healing process but it should be laughter induced by a different subject not laughter at the expense of my loved ones, that will never be cool with me!

It's ok for politicians to use it for political gains.... Its ok for the 9/11 widows to politicize it... Its ok for the government to use it as an excuse for all sorts of abuses of power... And its OK for conspiracy theorists (also for political motives) to claim it didnt even happen...

But the rest of us have to treat it as a holy grail?

Doesn't work for me....

"Sorry I'm late.... I would have been here sooner, but my flight had a layover at the Empire State Building."

Godfried's problem is, he tells backstage jokes, on stage (or on twitter). Those same comedians, who were screaming "too soon" when he said it on stage would have been laughing their asses off had he said it at the bar...

Not going to lie...I LOLd at that. Appropriate...NO. Funny...YES!

There's another issue too... Most people don't understand it, because they don't have that comedic sense of humor... But a lot of comedians have a strange nurturing instinct that comes with it. They HATE to see others unhappy... And in a way, in times of great pain, they almost feel like its their calling in life to make people laugh in those times... Sometimes it comes off as heartless or in poor taste... But theyre just doing their jobs...

I have always heard that many comedians suffered from depression and that making people laugh made them happier or whole upstairs.

Combine that mindset with, you shelled out over $20 million dollars for two divorces, and you are your own entity, (IE: Your own Corporation).

Think about the stress? You are Robin Williams, You are the CEO: of RW, you are the president of RW, you are the VP of RW, you are the CFO of RW, you are RW Inc.

I get upset juggling the several responsibilities with my job at work and at home! His never quite IMO.

It's ok for politicians to use it for political gains.... Its ok for the 9/11 widows to politicize it... Its ok for the government to use it as an excuse for all sorts of abuses of power... And its OK for conspiracy theorists (also for political motives) to claim it didnt even happen...

But the rest of us have to treat it as a holy grail?

Doesn't work for me....

10 wrongs doesn't make a right :icon_mrgreen:

I am only think of the pain of those directly affected by the tragedy, moms, dads, children, brothers and sisters, no politics no other BS, I am thinking how horrible it would be for them to read or listen to jokes made about their loved ones, for me it would be unbearable, but that's just me and that's how I feel, there are many other things I would rather joke about before I would touch such a sensitive subject.

Anyway you keep on carrying on I know it's one of your favorite pastimes and I will keep on cringing every time I see a new thread with a "funny" title :icon_mrgreen: